Upgrading to gaming-build in 25k

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
Hello everyone !

just read a thread on a similar topic, with a similar budget, but thought of creating one more for specific needs, so kindly pardon and bear with me.

A colleague of mine wishes to upgrade his existing set-up for primarily gaming purposes. a quick overview follows :

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: not going to be used for any official work. its desirous that latest games should run smoothly and without much hiccups, even if not at ultra settings, and config should be future-proof for atleast 1-2 yrs. games like skyrim, kingdoms of amalur, and some gone-by titles + upcoming titles are the prime concern (mostly RPGs and FPSes).
other than this, the PC would be used for movie-playback (mostly HD movies) and general web-surfing.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 20k, stretchable to 25k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7 64-bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Have an HDD already. (500 + 40 GB, which he says seems enough for my use, but am sure he wont feel so in the coming time ;))

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, LAN card, cabinet, RAM....these all wont be replaced.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Max within 3 months, min within 1 month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: He has a local person who does all this for him for a small fee. he would prefer to let him handle this.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Andheri (mumbai). Open to buying online if products not available locally. would be relying mostly on primeabgb, but thats more due to less info on other shops.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: The colleague for whom am requesting you all to suggest a config, is not a member of any of the tech forums, and hence he isnt a very knowledgeable person in these aspects, so the onus here lies with me to get him a really good config possible in his budget. i would honestly like to present him with a very good affordable upgrade-plan that he would really like and enjoy, hence requesting you all to be kind enough to elaborate generously :)

thanks in advance !

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ram won't be replaced? what ram he has? DDR2 or DDR3? based on this the rest of the config has to made. also if its DDR2, then upgrading to DDR3 is a must.

AMD Phenom II 960 @ 6.8k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H @ 3.8k
Corsair 4Gb DDR3 @ 1.1k
Corsair CX430W V2 @ 2.3k
MSI HD6770 @ 6.6k or MSI R6850 Cyclone @ 9.2k

TOTAL: 20.6k or 23.2k

or you mak give him another option. buy from flipkart and let the computer guy assemble it.

in case he wants Intel based,
Core i3 2100 + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H @ 10.2k

Minion

Conversation Architect
Processor:AMD Phenom 965BE-5,800
Motherboard:Gigabyte 880GM-USB3-4,800
Ram:2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2 GB-1,600
GPU:Sapphire HD 6850 -9700
PSU:Corsair GS 600-4000
total 25,900

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
ram won't be replaced? what ram he has? DDR2 or DDR3? based on this the rest of the config has to made. also if its DDR2, then upgrading to DDR3 is a must.

AMD Phenom II 960 @ 6.8k
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H @ 3.8k
Corsair 4Gb DDR3 @ 1.1k
Corsair CX430W V2 @ 2.3k
MSI HD6770 @ 6.6k or MSI R6850 Cyclone @ 9.2k

TOTAL: 20.6k or 23.2k

or you mak give him another option. buy from flipkart and let the computer guy assemble it.

in case he wants Intel based,
Core i3 2100 + Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H @ 10.2k

thanks ! but the one review we have of the mobo on flipkart doesnt look good. what if we swap this mobo with what is suggested by minion below ?! the RAM he has is gskill 4GB DDR3 1333MHz chipset. would also like to swap the PSU with corsair CX500 V2 for 3k. rest all looks good. pls suggest if you've other idea(s) now in mind :)

thanks to both of you !

Processor:AMD Phenom 965BE-5,800
Motherboard:Gigabyte 880GM-USB3-4,800
Ram:2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 2 GB-1,600
GPU:Sapphire HD 6850 -9700
PSU:Corsair GS 600-4000
total 25,900

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Ram's fine. Go with the rest of the config sam suggested.

For a 6850, i recommend a corsair GS 500 atleast instead of cx 430 v2. Should be within 3.5k. Its better and has 39 amps of current in 12v rail and is more efficient.

Go for ASUS M5A88-M @ 5.7k . Its a feature rich board and has usb 3.0 as well.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
^^ Ram's fine. Go with the rest of the config sam suggested.

For a 6850, i recommend a corsair GS 500 atleast instead of cx 430 v2. Should be within 3.5k. Its better and has 39 amps of current in 12v rail and is more efficient.

Go for ASUS M5A88-M @ 5.7k . Its a feature rich board and has usb 3.0 as well.

thanks a lot ! any other recommendation with similar price ?

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hello !

upon some second thought, we are thinking of going the intel way, ie, i3 2100. could anyone please suggest a suitable mobo for it ? else what is suggest by sam is apt ?

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
hello !

so after some tough time, we have decided upon the following config :

CPU+Mobo - i5 2400 + DH67-CL (B3)

GPU - Sapphire HD 6950 2GB

PSU - Seasonic 520W

budget has been increased to 30k.

any comments are welcome :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ getting a last gen GPU mayn't be the best decision now. yes HD7870 at launch maybe be priced higher but you can get the GPU after a month. rest everything is ok.

else HD7850 should be priced considerably lower and still offer exactly same performance. also low idle power and noise.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
^^^ well yeah it's not advised that you now go for an HD 6950 2GB when the newer gen cards are on their way to get released. As Sam said, HD 7850 will be priced a bit lower than HD 6950 but will provide somewhat better performance than its elder brother HD 6950 + low idle power consumption and will run a bit cooler too.

I would suggest you go for your i5 based config now without the GPU now. Wait for 1 month until it's released and then add it. You won't regret. GOod luck.

Top Bottom