Upgrading PC :)

jitin_2

Right off the assembly line
Mainly want to buy a proccy and mobo (with crossfire) and want to load it with a 4gb ddr3 ram :)
note: i am willing to wait if a better and affordable option is to come in 4 months or so

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: gaming primarily (WOW and other games) and little bit of programming :)

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: for Proccy+mobo+ram = Maximum of 25k..

4. Planning to overclock?
A: possibly if the performance will get a significant boost because of it else would prefer not to.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: possibly win 7 (or which ever pirated version i am able to get my hands on easily ;))

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:wanted a 1 tb .. but dont know whether to go for 1tb single or two 5oogb ssd

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
A:

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5 i guess.. long time since i followed the new hardware updates :(

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:mostly me and my friend will sit together and do it.

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: possibly in a one or two months and if u guys suggest me to wait for a new affordable technology then yes may be 4 months max.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: definitely

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: performance is high priority and sticking to the budget is secondary..

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Bangalore ( i think i ll get everything in bangalore..)

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: i have a zotac ge force 9400gt GPU at present with P4 3 ghz and 2gb DDR ram with D 101 mobo.. would like to carry over the GPU to the upgraded one .. just to use it if at all it ll give me a boost in performance.

thanks in advance.. i might not be able to follow this thread regularly but definitely i ll take a look at least twice a week.. PEACE :D

OP
J

jitin_2

monitor - samsung syncmaster 793s with the refresh rate of 85Hz in 1024*768 screen resolution. will upgrade it later in a month or two once the config is finalized.

cabinet - mercury Pc cabinet (CASING)KM - 84

as for PSU i dont know about it now (2005 model) .. i ll let u know in few days as and when i free up some time for it.. but if its necessary then i am open to buying a new one to support the config..

i am confused between core i5 series and amd phenom ll x4 & x6 proccys .. would your views on it considering my pref..

and sli vs crossfire too..

thanks guys :)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
so you need to expand your budget to get a new psu and casing. if sli or cf is your future plan you need at least corsair tx650w @ 6k and nzxt gamma for 2k.
for gaming i5 760 is anyday better but if you will upgrade processor soon again then better get x4 955be as going with i5 760 your processor upgrade path will be closed. that socket will soon vanish away. X6 is waste for gaming.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so you need to expand your budget to get a new psu and casing. if sli or cf is your future plan you need at least corsair tx650w @ 6k and nzxt gamma for 2k.
for gaming i5 760 is anyday better but if you will upgrade processor soon again then better get x4 955be as going with i5 760 your processor upgrade path will be closed. that socket will soon vanish away. X6 is waste for gaming.

+1. well told.

OP
J

jitin_2

guys how is the performance of core i7 920 and i read about core i7 930 (*www.withss.com/budget-gamming-cabinet-tips-on-purchasing-a-good-low-priced-cabinet-in-india/)

is this a good option to wait for ?? :)

your views are appreciated :D

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
now i7 950 is available at 15k making it a great buy. but you need to get atleast a msi x58 pro-e mobo @ 10k and 4gb ddr3 ram @ 5k. so total around 30k. your choice.

OP
J

jitin_2

that i think is beyond my budget. if you dont mind can you answer few more queries of mine :)

- is 955 be(9700 Rs) better or 965(9000 Rs) in AMDs .

- and which is the mobo that i have to go for with either of these processors.
if you could suggest me some gpu s to sli too..

ps: i don't prefer too costly one. but something which gives good performance for its price in mediocre range.

- and about caby.. which among cooler master elite and nzxt gamma is better and could you tell me the pricing too of cm elite.

Thanks in advance.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^howcome 955 is costlier than 965?

790gx(if usb3 and sata 3 is not required) ->6.4k
else 890gx ->7.2k

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^howcome 955 is costlier than 965?

790gx(if usb3 and sata 3 is not required) ->6.4k
else 890gx ->7.2k

and a bad suggestion by baba. sli cant be dont on amd chipsets. we need nforce chipsets.

@op
if you want something superb performance then get MSI NF980 G65 @ 7.5k and 2 ZOTAC/MSI GTX460 1GB cards @ 14k each. otherwise you can sli with gtx 460 768mb @ 12k each.

phenom II x4 955be is a better option @ 8k.

it will be better for us to suggest if you give your total budget which includes everything.

OP
J

jitin_2

My budget can go up and down .. i mean to increase my budget all i have to do is wait for a month for my next sal and i can increase it.. but to do that i must be sure that my investment is in accordance with the "value for money" mantra.. it would be nice if you could suggest a step by step upgrade that i can plan out for few months.. like proccy, mobo, smps ,1tb harddisk and cabby in first buy(ps i am thinking of stretching the budget here by making it around 30k+) then may be later on gpu for SLI/CF .. then the monitor.

hey can you guys tell me how the performance varies for a sli and a single GPU.

will sli have a significant impact on the gaming performance or can i just be content with a single GPU.. (ps : i am rethinking about my SLI decision considering the cost that is involved)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
GTX460 in sli is just a monster and utter vfm. its cost will come around 27k for 1gb versions and its vfmness is shown in the way it competes with 35k hd5970 (the dual ati monster).

now comes your first part of the config. now you have 2 options as you said you have a budget of 30k above you can look at -

Intel Core i7 950 @ 15k
Msi X58 Pro-E @ 10k
2 * 2GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 6k
WD 500GB blue @ 2k
Corsair TX650W @ 6k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k

Total - 41k

or

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE @ 8k
MSI NF980 G65 (if SLI) @ 7.5k or MSI 890GXM G65 (if CF) @ 7k
2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5k
WD 500GB blue @ 2k
Corsair TX650W @ 6k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k

Total - 30.5k

now you to decide if you can stretch your budget for 950 (beast) or amd combo for 30k is powerful enough.
remember going with i7 and that mobo will give you both sli and cf support in future. but with amd you have to decide between the 2 mobos.

OP
J

jitin_2

hi just a small query :) will these mobo s mentioned MSI NF980 G65 and MSI 890GXM G65 later on support 6 core processors also ??
and are there any nice mobo s from gigabyte??

this rig looks good :)
AMD Phenom II x4 955BE @ 8k
MSI NF980 G65 (if SLI) @ 7.5k or MSI 890GXM G65 (if CF) @ 7k
2 * 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5k
WD 500GB blue @ 2k
Corsair TX650W @ 6k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k

considering the Msi hd5770 also cf in it .. it think it might just fit the bill for me :)

if in case i dont get gamma could you suggest alternate for the same :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom