Upgrading old rig! Best processor + MB + RAM + PSU upgrade ~20k?

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
There are only 3 chipset for amd FM2 socket processors viz. A55,A75,A85X.There is nothing like A77 or A88.
A55 is the cheap one which doesn't have usb3.0 and sataIII.As A75 based socket FM2 motherboards are not available as of now you have to look for A85X based motherboard.Else you can wait for the prices to drop or if A75 based boards are available here.

A10-5800k price is somewhat higher for the time being.It should have been around 7-7.5k. i3 3220 and a10-5800k are priced same in US.
Wait to see if prices go down.

I realized only today that the 'FM2' is the socket and that's what determines which processor's can compliment the motherboard. Sorry for my lack of awareness in my previous post. I did see the A77 and A88 motherboards. But, now I realize that they are Athlon or FM1 socket motherboards.

So A55 is out of consideration, then. I need USB 3.0.

As for A85X, are they better than A75? Or would waiting for the A75 based motherboards to come by, make sense? What is the difference between the two?

Will wait till the first or at max mid-January to see if the prices go down, and buy then if they still don't.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
*i.imgur.com/E8eSW.jpg?1

A75 is fine.You have to go for A85x if A75 isn't available here in the time.
A85X motherboards would have crossfirex support and more ports.
Some costlier motherboards would have better support for overclocking.
A75 should be fine for you unless you require more ports and other features.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
A75 is fine.You have to go for A85x if A75 isn't available here in the time.
A85X motherboards would have crossfirex support and more ports.
Some costlier motherboards would have better support for overclocking.
A75 should be fine for you unless you require more ports and other features.

Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

Pretty sure the A75 would suffice my needs, then. The 6 SATA ports available in the A75 would be more than enough. And CrossFireX or over-clocking is not something I'm looking for, so I guess I'll wait for the FM2 A75 motherboards.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
My old CRT monitor seems to be dying. Will buy a new one alongwith this config too.

Thinking of a Full HD 17" LED. Although I will ask for advice in the TVs/Monitors section of the forum for that, any suggestions here are welcome. Also, wanted to confirm that Trinity will support Full HD natively without any video/graphic card, right?

Also, just came across this motherboard: GA-F2A85X-UP4.

Is it better than the Asus one?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Mention the budget for the monitor.
No problem with a10-5800k's IGP supporting FHD resolution.
Yes,that board is fine,has better form-factor,more expansion slots than the quoted boards.Can go with that board if within your budget.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, the Gigabyte motherboard is probably not available in India and if available, will cost you a bomb. There is no point to get a Motherboard with 3 PCI-Express X16 slots. You're not going to run 3 Graphics card with a Trinity processor. Also two Ram slots does not matter more these days as 8 GB single modules are available. Get the Corsair Vengeance 8GB X 1 1600 MHz module @ 2.7K or G-Skill RipjawX 8GBX 1 @ 3.085K. FOr motherboard, I think ASUS F2A85-M should be the maximum limit for a Trinity CPU.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Mention the budget for the monitor.
No problem with a10-5800k's IGP supporting FHD resolution.
Yes,that board is fine,has better form-factor,more expansion slots than the quoted boards.Can go with that board if within your budget.

Around 5-7k. The lesser the better. Checked the listings on Flipkart. Seems like there's no FHD monitor available in that range. Any other suggestions for that range?

Buddy, the Gigabyte motherboard is probably not available in India and if available, will cost you a bomb. There is no point to get a Motherboard with 3 PCI-Express X16 slots. You're not going to run 3 Graphics card with a Trinity processor. Also two Ram slots does not matter more these days as 8 GB single modules are available. Get the Corsair Vengeance 8GB X 1 1600 MHz module @ 2.7K or G-Skill RipjawX 8GBX 1 @ 3.085K. FOr motherboard, I think ASUS F2A85-M should be the maximum limit for a Trinity CPU.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm not going to use for gaming anyway so the PCI-Express slots don't really mater to me.
And will mostly get a 8GB RAM module. Thanks :D.
When can I expect other A75 motherboards from ASRock and others? I was planning to upgrade soon now and the lack of availability, combined with high prices is sort of a deterrent.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
FHD monitors like Benq g2222hdal costs around ~7.5k.Dell st2220l~8.2k
You can get Dell in2030m~6k,20", has a resolution of 1600*900

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
FHD monitors like Benq g2222hdal costs around ~7.5k.Dell st2220l~8.2k
You can get Dell in2030m~6k,20", has a resolution of 1600*900

I haven't been able to find the BenQ at any of the online stores (SMC, IT Depot, Prime). Even the Dell one isn't available on most online stores. Will check the IN2030M.

@op get the highest speed memory you can afford if you are going for a APU

Will be getting the RipjawX 8GB mostly. Fits well in the budget. It's 1600MHz as far as I know. Nothing can beat that, can it?

Cilus

laborare est orare
The RipjawX ran can run at 1866 MHz Speed CL10 setting without any issue. Check my signature.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
The RipjawX ran can run at 1866 MHz Speed CL10 setting without any issue. Check my signature.

I read that while reading your previous post. And that's why I had to Google for the RipjawX to verify that it is 1600MHz. Got it that you're running it at CL10 now. Overlooked it earlier.

Cilus

laborare est orare
You will be surprised to know that the time needed for 9 clock cycles in 1600 MHz Ram is higher than time needed to complete 10 clock cycles in 1 1866 MHz Ram. A 1866 MHz CL10 ram does have higher speed and tighter latency than a 1600 MHz CL9 one.

i have already explained it in another thread. Have a read here : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...-rig-around-130k-post1781015.html#post1781015

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
You will be surprised to know that the time needed for 9 clock cycles in 1600 MHz Ram is higher than time needed to complete 10 clock cycles in 1 1866 MHz Ram. A 1866 MHz CL10 ram does have higher speed and tighter latency than a 1600 MHz CL9 one.

i have already explained it in another thread. Have a read here : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...-rig-around-130k-post1781015.html#post1781015

Great explanation there, Cilius :)!

It's pretty amazing, indeed as to how that'd be possible. But it is!

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Any clue on when ASRock FM2A75 Pro4-M and FM2A75 Pro4 are going to be available?

From what I saw on their website, it seems they differ mainly in the number of PCI and PCIe slots. I don't need them and thus, that doesn't change my decision to buy or not to buy a motherboard. Also, what's the difference between an mATX (FM2A75 Pro4-M) and ATX (FM2A75 Pro4) form factor? Do they need different cases? I have a 5-7 years old iBall cabinet. Will either fit in the same?

One last thing, the front USB and audio slots of the cabinet broke during a repair, and got lost since. How can I restore the front USB panels atleast? I need at least 2 ports which can handle an external 2.5" HDD there. I should be able to use the mid-board USB heads for that, AFAIK. But how? Are there some panels or something like that available for that?

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
I've decided my rig, and the final rig is as follows:

Processor: AMD Trinity A10-5800K
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro-M (First preference, if available)
Motherboard: ASUS F2A85-M-LE
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX (8GBx1) DDR3-1600MHz
PSU: Corsair CX430v2

My question is, will the CX430v2 be enough for this config even if I add a DVD-RW and 3-4 3.5" HDDs?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually Gskill RipjawX and Kingston HyperX Blue Rams overclock like charm. They can easily run at 1866 MHz speed and if tried properly, 2133 MHz is also possible. Sumon Pathak, one of the forum members has tested HyperX module and was able to run it at 2133 MHz speed with ease, at CL11 setting with 1.65 V Memory Voltage. So better get one of these two modules instead of Corsair Vengeance. They are around 3.2K.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Actually Gskill RipjawX and Kingston HyperX Blue Rams overclock like charm. They can easily run at 1866 MHz speed and if tried properly, 2133 MHz is also possible. Sumon Pathak, one of the forum members has tested HyperX module and was able to run it at 2133 MHz speed with ease, at CL11 setting with 1.65 V Memory Voltage. So better get one of these two modules instead of Corsair Vengeance. They are around 3.2K.

I'm getting the RipjawX. I said that in the previous post.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Finally bought the following:

1) Processor : AMD A10-5800K
2) Motherboard : Asus F2A85-M-LE (Combined price: 14,950)
3) PSU: Corsair VS450 (2600)
4) RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB 1600MHz (3082)

Bought the RAM from Flipkart, everything else locally.

Thanks everyone for the help :).

Top Bottom