Upgrading old rig! Best processor + MB + RAM + PSU upgrade ~20k?

setu4993

Journeyman
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my old P4 rig to a new one, for around 20k.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Office, browsing, PDF, P2P.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 20k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7 64bit.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I'm using my old HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. Although, I will be buying a new monitor within 6 months.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: 500GB Seagate SATA HDD, Sony 22X DVD writer.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Before the year end.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I have built one before, and this will be done by me.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Locally or online, either ways is cool.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
1) I have an iBall cabinet, and L&C 350/400W PSU. Can I use them for the new rig or will I have to buy new ones?

2) It will be mostly for office, browsing and downloading usage. No gaming at all or graphic designing. Thus, the need for a graphic card is absent.

It'd be great if you'll could help me select my rig, or suggest variations if anything better is an option.

For those who don't have an access to the December 2012 issue right now:
Entry-Level Gaming:
Processor: AMD A8-3850
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H
RAM: G-Skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT (I was thinking of using the Corsair of the Mid-Range instead)
PSU: Corsair CX430.

Mid-Range Gaming:
Processor: Intel i5-3450
Motherboard: Intel DB75EN
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 4 GB
PSU: Corsair GS 600.

Looking forward to some help!

Last edited:

_AkasH_

Broken In
I think Trinity was supposed to come out in December. So you might be able to go for a A10-5800K (think that's the right model). But that'll take a huge chunk of your budget. And I would suggest getting a new PSU and then a case too. Case is important, but not as important as the PSU.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
I think Trinity was supposed to come out in December. So you might be able to go for a A10-5800K (think that's the right model). But that'll take a huge chunk of your budget. And I would suggest getting a new PSU and then a case too. Case is important, but not as important as the PSU.

Why would a case be more important than a PSU? And you mean AMD Trinity, right?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Intel i3 3220 - 7.2k or i5 3450 -11.3k
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H - 4.2k
G.Skill RipjawsX(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) 4GB -1.5k
Corsair CX430v2 -2.5k
Mouse&KB:Logitech MK200 -0.7k

For upgrading cabinet look for nzxt source 210 elite for around 2.7k
If you can wait for some time then you might be able to get an AMD trinity based config.
For the things you have mentioned an i5 3450 is not required.i3 3220 or Trinity a10/a8 processors are more than enough.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Intel i3 3220 - 7.2k or i5 3450 -11.3k
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H - 4.2k
G.Skill RipjawsX(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) 4GB -1.5k
Corsair CX430v2 -2.5k
Mouse&KB:Logitech MK200 -0.7k

For upgrading cabinet look for nzxt source 210 elite for around 2.7k
If you can wait for some time then you might be able to get an AMD trinity based config.
For the things you have mentioned an i5 3450 is not required.i3 3220 or Trinity a10/a8 processors are more than enough.

Sounds good. Thanks :)! I don't mind waiting for a month or so.
When does the Trinity series come by?
And where do you suggest I get all these? Online? If yes, site names would be good.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Check local market for cheaper prices.
For online purchase check sites like Primeabgb,smcinternational

Trinity should be here in some time.Don't know exactly when.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Check local market for cheaper prices.
For online purchase check sites like Primeabgb,smcinternational

Trinity should be here in some time.Don't know exactly when.

Got it. Great. Although, I'll need help with the motherboard selection for A10/A8.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Bump.

So, now that the Trinity APUs are available, what would be a good motherboard to support A10-5800K? Preferably A85.

I was thinking about this config:

APU: A10-5800K
Motherboard: Asus F2A85-M-LE (Actually, that's the only A85 series motherboard I've come across)
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX(F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL)

I have absolutely no clue which PSU to buy!!

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^That board would be fine.It has only 2 memory slots but it should be ok.For PSU take Corsair CX430v2 @2.5k.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
ASUS F2A85-M -6.7k
It has 4 memory slots.
There are other a85x based motherboards available but most of them are above 8k as of now.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
ASUS F2A85-M -6.7k
It has 4 memory slots.
There are other a85x based motherboards available but most of them are above 8k as of now.

Will consider it. Although, only the memory slots availability won't be the reason I buy that. Besides, aren't the prices of Trinity and these motherboards expected to settle in in the next few days/weeks? They appear too high right now.

What are my other options outside A85? I don't think A75/A77 because they're older. Newer ones, I mean. I thought I saw an A88 somewhere.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually in India, for FM2 socket, FM2 A85 and A55 chipset based motherboards are available. A75 will be the sweet spot when they will be released but currently I didn't find a single A75 mobo.

OP
S

setu4993

Journeyman
Actually in India, for FM2 socket, FM2 A85 and A55 chipset based motherboards are available. A75 will be the sweet spot when they will be released but currently I didn't find a single A75 mobo.

Aren't the A85 ones newer? I thought so from what I had read :/.

I did come across a few A75 yesterday. But on checking them again now, they support FM1.

So you mean to say that if and when A75 are available, they'd be a better pair with Trinity than their A85 counter-parts?

Also, what's the difference between the A85, A55 and A88 motherboards? (Sorry, but I'm unaware of the naming conventions at the hardware end.)

Last edited:

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Will consider it. Although, only the memory slots availability won't be the reason I buy that. Besides, aren't the prices of Trinity and these motherboards expected to settle in in the next few days/weeks? They appear too high right now.

What are my other options outside A85? I don't think A75/A77 because they're older. Newer ones, I mean. I thought I saw an A88 somewhere.

There are only 3 chipset for amd FM2 socket processors viz. A55,A75,A85X.There is nothing like A77 or A88.
A55 is the cheap one which doesn't have usb3.0 and sataIII.As A75 based socket FM2 motherboards are not available as of now you have to look for A85X based motherboard.Else you can wait for the prices to drop or if A75 based boards are available here.

A10-5800k price is somewhat higher for the time being.It should have been around 7-7.5k. i3 3220 and a10-5800k are priced same in US.
Wait to see if prices go down.

Top Bottom