upgrading my ram or processor..!! confused..!!??

deepak_ds

Broken In
i've been earlier recommended 'Asus P5G41CM-LY' mobo for upgrading my PC.
i m planning to buy this. in my current pc config, i have a Core2Duo E4400 processor, 1x2GBDDR2 RAM, and a Nvidia 9400GT 1GB DDR2 gfx card...
my PSU brand is I-Ball(450W)..
i am in a confusion wehther to upgrade the ram or the processor first.
if both can be done within 10k then please suggest a gud processor and ram too.. please..

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually it is not clear that whether you've already purchased the mobo or not?

The thing is quad core is needed for gaming now a days but LGA 775 based quad cores or the Core 2 Quad processors have already reached their end of life and it is very hard to find them. Even if you can find them they will be priced very higher and on that price far better new generation quad cores are available.

Regarding your Ram, ALTHOUGH PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE will be negligible while switching from DDR2 to DDR3, DDR2 rams costs more and after some times they will be hard to find.

My suggestion is sell off the old rig as at a budget of 10K, you can easily get a quad core CPU + DDR3 mobo + DDR3 ram.

Here is my suggestion:
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 4K
Asus M4A78LT-M LE @ 2.7K
Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 4 GB Ram @ 1.47K (available @ deltapage.com)

Total 8.17K. Assuming that you can get 3K by selling all your old stuff, you can have 5K for Graphics card and PSU upgrade. Get a Sapphire HD 5670 512 MB GDDR5 @ 4.2K and a Zebronics Pro 400W SMPS @ 1.3K or FSP SAGA II 350W @ 1.4K

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@cilus I think he can keep his GPU for now and go for 880G chipset based board instead of 780G (to have BD compatibility)

OP
deepak_ds

deepak_ds

Broken In
@CLIUS: Thanks.. nice config..

@Clius: can u give any suggestion for intel mobo instead of amd mobo?

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
9400 GT is a fare enough Card & he doesnt intent to change it now also the PSU is pretty much ultra low end so for changing to a decent GFX he will need to upgrade it as well.

Guess he can Do away with 880G based mobos with AM3+ Socket as one I got & Switch to a Better PSU+GPU Combo later on when budget permits. With AM3+ Future CPU Upgrade to BD will also b pretty much Smooth.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Tech_Wiz, in my config, I have added provision for PSu upgrade, along with the graphics card.

deepak_ds, For Intel based config, go with

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 5.6K
Asus P8H61-M LE B3 @ 3.3K
Kingston 4 GB 1333 CL9 DDR3 MHz Value Ram @ 1.4K

Total 10.3K.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
please suggest me a cpu of intel...!! please..

The core i3 or any Intel processor/mobo compo inside 8k in no match to AMD's. And if you get 880G chipset based mobo, you can upgrade to a BullDozer based processor without changing everything again (as the existing 880G boards are compatible with BD processors), which is a common headache with Intel sockets.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I saw you gave him PSU and card options but he has to sell of 9400 GT and PSU for which I don't think anyone will give a penny. So he is better off keeping them and upgrade PSU+GPU when he gets enough money (9-10k) etc.

and OP for your budget Intel is no good.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
yupp.. thanks.. :)

but tell me which one would be better for the long run? amd or intel?

dude. Like I said earlier, inside 8k, AMD gives best bang for the buck. The 880G chipset is compatible with their upcoming Bulldozer based processors, which I suspect will give heavy performance gain over existing Phenoms. Intel, on the other hand has been changing sockets like Indian politician shifting parties. there are around half a dozen different sockets in the past 2 years. This will be a headache for those who does incremental updates as they have to change the mobo most of the time.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
dude. Like I said earlier, inside 8k, AMD gives best bang for the buck. The 880G chipset is compatible with their upcoming Bulldozer based processors, which I suspect will give heavy performance gain over existing Phenoms. Intel, on the other hand has been changing sockets like Indian politician shifting parties. there are around half a dozen different sockets in the past 2 years. This will be a headache for those who does incremental updates as they have to change the mobo most of the time.

:+1:.

OP
deepak_ds

deepak_ds

Broken In

oh.. thanks.. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
But Desibond, Core i3 2100 is more powerful than even quad core Athlon II is gaming as well as in most multithreaded applications and has less power consumption and Intel also confirmed this time ( I guess a lesson from AMD) that their next gen processors will be supported in 1155 socket motherboards. That's why I've suggested the Intel Core i3 2100 based config.

Here is the Anandtech 2100 and Athlon II X4 635 Comparison chart.

Last edited:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Yep He has to get a OCed Phenom II 955 BE to topple i3. Athlons are pretty much lost. And yes Ivy Bridge is coming on 1155 Platform.

So Either i3 with 1155 Socket---->Ivy or
Phenom II X4 with AM3+ Socket --> BD

sukesh1090

Adam young
wow is core i3 is as strong as phenom 955?
@op, look at this chart
*www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=289#

Last edited:

saswat23

Human Spambot
But the reason of suggesting PhenomII over i3 is the extra 2 cores in the former that comes handy in multithreaded apps.
So, i3 or P2, anyone will do.

Top Bottom