Upgrading my old system

Karthikk

Right off the assembly line
This is my final attempt online to find a suitable advice(AND not sarcasm) on my guidelines of upgrade.
That's it. Now, my father had bought a second-handed system - Pentium E2140, Intel mobo D945GCPE, which has 82945G graphics controller, I GB RAM(Transcend), 80GB SATA HDD, LG DVD reader/writer.
This is NOT enough for my use, i.e., gaming. I tried to play games, but they all just crashed. I can't upgrade the graphics card , 'coz mobo doesn't have a PCI-e slot (ouch). I am looking for suitable motherboards within budget of 1500rs to 2500 MAX (yes, second-hand motherboards). I want support for my current HDD, and RAM, and want to make a little more our of my processor *cough* if you know what I mean, overclocking. I want it to have PCI-e slots(x16, for current cards) will look into matter of graphic cards later, if the motherboard has an average in-built graphic controller.
I hope this is sufficient. If you need to know anything else, just ask for it, politely. I am a newbie and a sensitive person.
Thanking all of those who may help, in advance.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
trust me, building a new system will cost same as upgrade but offer several times better performance. why?

1. thats a 1.6Ghz 5yr old processor. you can't expect to run games using such a slow processor. even at lowest of settings, games will seriously lag.
2. if you change board, you need to spend around ~2k.
3. 1Gb DDR2 which will again need to be upgraded. say you add 2Gb DDR2 stick. that will cost 1.5k
4. GPU that won't bottleneck your processor is of the range of HD6450, which not to mention is seriously slow for games.

instead get a new PC keeping monitor, keyboard-mouse, etc same. so how much is your budget for the upgrade? or you prefer to jump platform to a new & better build?

OP
K

Karthikk

Well, what you are saying is true, but I don't know where to sell it. I am still looking locally if someone wants to buy the computer, but I'm not successful. And even if I am planning to sell of this old PC, I need to convince my parents, which is neck-breaking task.
BUT, can you still suggest some motherboards just for my sake, if not well-fare??
Thanking you again.

quicky008

Technomancer
I'd suggest that u change the cpu as well as your motherboard if u wish to use your pc for gaming- a pentium dual core 805 cpu and an Intel 945gnt or equivalent motherboard will suffice for your needs.You should be able to get them for rs 2000 or less at any computer shop which deals in used peripherals,just make sure they are in good condition.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need a new computer. That's it. - CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Power Supply.

Hard Disk is SATA. And I also hope the DVD Writer is SATA. SATA will work in new computers.

For gaming, this is the cheapest recommendation I can give.

AMD A6-3650 quad-core processor with built-in Radeon HD 6530D graphics - Rs. 6300
Gigabyte A55M-S2V motherboard - Rs. 3600
4 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 1600 Mhz RAM - Rs. 1600
Corsair CX430v2 Power Supply - Rs. 2300

Buy from Flipkart.com

If you want, you can get AMD A6-3500 tri-core processor with built-in Radeon HD 6530D graphics for Rs. 4600.

OP
K

Karthikk

1) Cilus, my budget is 1000 - 2500 rupees for the motherboard. I think I will sell my old mobo so I think I can cash another 1k extra (MAYBE :( )
2)My HDD and DVD reader/writer is SATA.
And you naughty boy ICO, I'm on a cut throat budget. With the specs you mentioned(they WERE good, no offence), I could build another two medium-end PC's.
I'm going for a low budget, and am also planning on how to overclock.
And that's my second question, i.e., HOW do I overclock my processor, iff I have the proper mobo(WHICH is what I'm asking you guys, get it?)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
2.5k for motherboard, 1.5k for 2Gb ram (which is a must), 4k for GPU & then maybe a new PSU. why not save a bit more and go for a new system?

in case you need a new motherboard now only grab this: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2 DDR3 or Intel DG41CN DDR2. but you can't overclock using the Intel board.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
The specs given by ico are probably the best for you.
1 it has good enough IGP for your gaming needs which doesnt require you to buy another graphic card.
2 new PC is worth it over the old one. only a little expensive over what you are going to spend.
With the specs you
mentioned(they WERE good, no
offence), I could build another two
medium-end PC's.
the specs he gave was of a mid end Pc. The best you can build at that budget is a low end pc which probably wont give you gaming experience you are after.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
1) Cilus, my budget is 1000 - 2500 rupees for the motherboard. I think I will sell my old mobo so I think I can cash another 1k extra (MAYBE :( )
2)My HDD and DVD reader/writer is SATA.
And you naughty boy ICO, I'm on a cut throat budget. With the specs you mentioned(they WERE good, no offence), I could build another two medium-end PC's.
I'm going for a low budget, and am also planning on how to overclock.
And that's my second question, i.e., HOW do I overclock my processor, iff I have the proper mobo(WHICH is what I'm asking you guys, get it?)
By upgrading your current machine, you are wasting money. A year down the line, you are again going to feel what you are feeling now.

Spend a bit more and go for what I said. That's the best for you. Otherwise, it is your wish. :)

I'm putting facts in front of you.

You need a graphics card to run games properly. Your motherboard does NOT have a PCIe slot. For your system to run fine with a graphics card, you need a better power supply as well. You need more RAM too. DDR2 is expensive. 1GB DDR2 RAM costs as much as 4 GB DDR3 RAM now. Lastly, your processor is not good enough.

Verdict = by spending a little more, you get a new PC which is worth it.

OP
K

Karthikk

Well, it has struck me now. If ico gave me the configuration of a mid-end gaming PC, what would you suggest for an entry level gaming PC???

Good and cost-effective answers, anyone?:mrgreen:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ you can't go lower than that. if you go for Athlon II / Phenom II if still on sale, then you'll need a new GPU which will make total cost even higher.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
Actually what Ico gave you is an entry level Gaming pc,Save some money and get what Ico has suggested

OP
K

Karthikk

Well, I think I will take the motherboard Sam recommended. I looked into the supported frequencies of the mobo, and it had 1033 with O.C. in brackets. What exactly does it mean? because I'm planning to buy this stick - *www.flipkart.com/corsair-ddr3-4-gb...ew--&ref=b37d1794-6fee-403f-8588-4902c083ed1a . Is it a good option, considering my motherboard and my processor, Pentium dual-core E2140???? If not any other suggestions??
FYI - sorry for the last wrong post... still can't find the $%^& start thread button.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom