Upgrading Mobo+RAM

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
My current Specs are:

Processor: Intel i5 2310 2.9 ghz(3.2 turbo)
RAM: ADATA(Basic One) 4 gb ddr3 1333 MHz
Mobo: Intel DH61ww
GPU: MSI AMD 6770 1 gb DDR5
Cabinet NZXT Gamma
PSU: FSP Saga II 500 Watts
HDD: 1) seagate 500 gb 7200 RPM 3 gb/s 16 mb cache
2) Seagate 2TB green version 5400 rpm 6gb/s 64 mb cache

I cant upgrade the whole rig at once due to financial constraints but i have 2 options right now
1) Mobo+ RAM( mobo i selected is ASUS P8B75-M LE + G.Skill RipjawsX 8 GB RAM F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

OR

2) GPU (2 options here as well- AMD 6870 or Nvidia GTX 560/560 Ti)

I basically play FSX and few other games like assassins creed series, crysis, age of empires, battlefield 3 etc

At best my monitor can handle 1600 x 900 resolution so that is the max resolution i am going to use for another year so as i am not upgrading my monitor as of now.

Please suggest which 1 should i upgrade first- mobo+ RAM or GPU. Basic purpose is gaming, not full HD but with medium to high settings with 1600 x 900 resolution.

I think i don't need to upgrade my processor as of now. If i make an upgrade right now then I won't be able to make another upgrade for next 5-6 months. I am confused so please help me out. I have no intention for overclocking coz that would mean buying proper cooling equipments which i can't currently afford.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
you won't get any performance boost by upgrading the mobo+ram and the gfx card you have can handle most of the games @ 1600*900 very well.

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
you won't get any performance boost by upgrading the mobo+ram and the gfx card you have can handle most of the games @ 1600*900 very well.

So what you mean to say is that i should wait and upgrade the rig altogether? Should i upgrade my RAM to 8 GB for now and upgrade my GPU to some 7000 series lateron along with a mobo later? I forgot to mention that i have already ovreclocked my 6770 to 900/1300 with temps stable at around 60 C with fan running arnd 60%.

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
What is your budget ?

Your current system is good and your GFX card is good to play all latest games in 1600x900 .

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
What is your budget ?

Your current system is good and your GFX card is good to play all latest games in 1600x900 .

Budget as of now is arnd 12k for any upgrade that i do. I also have my 6770 overclocked to 900/1300(though i don't know how much performance increase i got with it) and it does run most of the latest games with medium settings and max 4x AA on 1600 x 900. I just had a chance to upgrade and I couldn't decide on what component to upgrade. Should I upgrade just the RAM for now and wait a little while for the GPU and mobo?

Just out of curiosity if i had to upgrade my GPU, should i go for 6850 and overclock it or go for 6870 straight away? GTX 560 Ti i checked is out of my budget and GTX 560 is not par with 6870 anyway( correct me if i am wrong)

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
You won't have any performance increase by upgrading your motherboard. Maybe just try getting another 4GB 1333 Mhz stick.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
You don't need any upgrade as of now with that Config. Only Upgrade you may consider is a Bigger HD Monitor & then replace the card with a HD7850.

Rest of the things need no change for next 2 years minimum.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
You can buy Corsair Value Select 4 GB DDR3 @ 1.2K .
You can also upgrade your motherboard if you want lot of features like USB 3 , Sata 3 etc. But this wont give you performance in Gaming .

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
You can buy Corsair Value Select 4 GB DDR3 @ 1.2K .
You can also upgrade your motherboard if you want lot of features like USB 3 , Sata 3 etc. But this wont give you performance in Gaming .

The problem with adding another 4 gb chip is that I have 2 DIMM slots and right now i am using 2x2gb chips as RAM. So i will have to get the whole 8 gb kit if i want to upgrade RAM but that is no big deal i can do that. I don't want all those features just for the sake of having them coz i know its going to be of no use to me. I will get an 8gb RAM kit and pass on the MOBO. I just hope if I do upgrade to a better GPU my motherboard wont bottleneck its performance.

I at most have 1 year of more time left for occassional gaming at best(have to go for MBA then) that is why i thought i will try to get the best experience possible within my budget. From what i gather after going through posts here and on some other threads the only thing that is going to help me is if i get a new GPU.

If you guys have any suggestions for a good GPU which can give me considerable performance boost over 6770 within 12k plz feel free to mention them. I am neither hard bent on Nvidia or AMD. They both are fine by me.

For now i am considering 6850 and 6870. Whether a 6850(overclocked) better option than a stock 6870? If so then which brand's 6850 performs best with stock cooling when overclocked?

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Get GTX 560 . Less Price But equal Performance to HD 6870 . Your motherboard wont bottleneck any GPU . Only processor does Bottlenecking ( not yours ) .

OP
rohit32407

rohit32407

Ambassador of Buzz
Get GTX 560 . Less Price But equal Performance to HD 6870 . Your motherboard wont bottleneck any GPU . Only processor does Bottlenecking ( not yours ) .

MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5

this is what i found in smcinternational.in. Best price for a gtx 560 i could find. There are no proper GPU dealers in my city so i will have to buy it online but since i have already bought my old 6770 from smcinternational so i am comfortable buying from them. Flipkart is a little overpriced for computer components at the moment.

I was just wondering if i take the dual fan version of this model can it be overclocked? or there isnt any need at all to overclock it for 1600 x 900 resolution.

If you can suggest a better deal or a better variant of 560 within 12k please do. Also i have the FSP Saga II 500 Watt PSU I hope it will be able to handle this card.Also worth mentioning is that i have a NZXT GAMMA cabinet i hope this card will fit in comfortably into it as it is quite a big card.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ GTX 560 dual fan version is a good choice - it will let you OC and keep the card cooler than nay other single fan based gpus but as you FSP Saga II 500 PSU don't bother to OC the gpu.

Top Bottom