upgrading GPU

rahulmax

Broken In
Hey guys its not been long since i upgraded my whole system. It is a huge upgrade over my previous P4 rig. System specs are in my signature.

Now i want to upgrade my gpu as i have bought a new asus vg278h 3d led monitor and gaming in 3d needs more gpu power.

I am confused between the two.

1. Asus gtx 670 dcu2t available from flipkart for : 29000

2. Reference(don't know which brand) gtx 680 from a local dealer for : 33500

i want to know if my PSU ie corsair GS600 will be able to run these two?

also i want to know if rs.4500 more is justified for 680 with the performance it offers?

PS: should i upgrade my cpu to i7 3770?, i need pc just for gaming pure gaming!!
thanks in adnvance!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ you can get a GTX 670 DC II at ~25k and getting a GTX 670 with DCII makes more sense than a reference GTX 680.

For gaming core i5 3570k @ 14k is a good choice.

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
^^ you can get a GTX 670 DC II at ~25k and getting a GTX 670 with DCII makes more sense than a reference GTX 680.

if i get the dc 2 top version for 25k-26k, then i will definitely buy that..

Will my psu be enough for that? corsair gs600?

What will be the advantage that i will get over my i5 2500 if i upgrade to i5 3570k?

the difference is that 3570 is 22nm so a bit cooler , 100mhz higher clocked , hd 4000 graphics(not gonna need in any case)

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
If you already have i5 2500 theres no need to upgrade to 3570k, if you are only into gaming.
For that card i would suggest you to get atleast a 650tx or a gs 700. Though the gs 600 can handle the card but it will limit future upgrades.
If i m not wrong you have bought an asus 3d monitor, and if you will do 3d gaming then imo you should go for a 680.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
For GTX 670 VS GTX 680 3D Comparison See This Video :

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 3D Vision Performance Review Evaluation Linus Tech Tips - YouTube

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
To run GTX670 safely with i5-2500, you need to buy TX650V2. (at least)

Ehem! I think you didn't look at his current config. He already have i5-2500, mate!

What will be the advantage that i will get over my i5 2500 if i upgrade to i5 3570k?

the difference is that 3570 is 22nm so a bit cooler , 100mhz higher clocked , hd 4000 graphics(not gonna need in any case)

Practiacally, there is absolutely NO advantage of 3570K over 2500, specially with your present motherboard (i.e. Asus P8H61-M).

Above all, you have Zotac 560ti 1GB card. Is there any real need of upgrading that to GTX670? I can't understand, GTX560ti is very good for all the games. And who said that GTX560ti can't run 27" 3D monitor?
Believe me, it will run comfortably.
I know higher the VRAM is better for 3D monitor, but in your case it is not applicable. This theory is applicable only for those who have 512MB of GDDR5 VRAM.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
If you have a gtx560ti, then why not add another of it and make a sli rig. Though you have to buy a new motherboard for it. Then you will have rig far better than the gtx 670!

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
Above all, you have Zotac 560ti 1GB card. Is there any real need of upgrading that to GTX670? I can't understand, GTX560ti is very good for all the games. And who said that GTX560ti can't run 27" 3D monitor?
Believe me, it will run comfortably.
I know higher the VRAM is better for 3D monitor, but in your case it is not applicable. This theory is applicable only for those who have 512MB of GDDR5 VRAM.

Bro, i have tried a few games like gta 4 , batman, battlefield 3, they run fine in 2d mode with this GPU in almost high settings, but as soon as i turn to 3d mode in high settings, the fps drops down to 15-30, in 3d mode i have to turn the graphic settings to medium-low to be able to play smoothly.

What do you recommend?

If you have a gtx560ti, then why not add another of it and make a sli rig. Though you have to buy a new motherboard for it. Then you will have rig far better than the gtx 670!

To do that I'll have to change my motherboard , get a better PSU , and ofcourse another gtx 560 ti. And even if i did that i won't get that much performance to that of a single gtx 670. Moreover i don't like sli.. i prefer a single card.

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz
So the gtx 670+tx650v2 is the way to go man. You don't need to change your cpu. It is really powerful and don't waste money on the 3570k.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Regarding GPU upgrade, GTX 560 ti can hardly runs today's demanding games @ 1080P resolution in 3D, even a single GTX 580 is not sufficient sometimes.

For power supply requirements, don't jump to the conclusions and suggest unnecessary things to the OP. Could you guys provide me a single link where a 650W PSU is suggested for GTX 670 with a Non-K processor...Read reviews properly.

In Guru3d test, with an i7 965 Extreme Edition CPU, overclocked at 3.75 GHz, the total power consumption was 296W at full GPU load and even I add another 100 watt for 100% CPU load, which is highly unlikely with a 32 nm non-K 2500 processor, the power consumption is 396W.

In fact a good 550W PSU can handle GTX 670 and GS600 is enough to handle it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
To run GTX670 safely with i5-2500, you need to buy TX650V2. (at least)

*i.neoseeker.com/a/Nvidia_GTX_670/Power%20Consumption.png

core i7 2600k Oced @ 4.4 Ghz and GTX 670 Oced too ( running games like LP, Metro 2033, Crysis 2 ) - needs 650W ? far less than that actually.

Ehem! I think you didn't look at his current config. He already have i5-2500, mate!

nope, I've not noticed Op's siggy.

dibya_kol

In the zone
well, @OP u seems to have some luxary prob !! Ur present rig is good enough to handle anything at 1080p res. U can get avg 40-45fps in 95% games with all max.
But if u want upgrade go for 680. 680 is always better than 670 and todays referance cooler is nt too bad.
Ur present psu and cpu is good enough to feed ur updated rig. So no need to update.

(hi, to all members,i am back .... :D)

Last edited:
OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
well, @OP u seems to have some luxary prob !! Ur present rig is good enough to handle anything at 1080p res. U can get avg 40-45fps in 95% games with all max.
But if u want upgrade go for 680. 680 is always better than 670 and todays referance cooler is nt too bad.
Ur present psu and cpu is good enough to feed ur updated rig. So no need to update.

Bro, my 560ti is enough for 2d gaming on max settings at 1080p. But i do 3D gaming now and that's where my gpu sores out , that's why i am planning to upgrade.

Asus gtx 670 dcu2 top performs on par or even better in some games than the reference gtx 680 and the money difference is almost 10k. So that has got me confused which one to go for.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
Regarding GPU upgrade, GTX 560 ti can hardly runs today's demanding games @ 1080P resolution in 3D, even a single GTX 580 is not sufficient sometimes.

For power supply requirements, don't jump to the conclusions and suggest unnecessary things to the OP. Could you guys provide me a single link where a 650W PSU is suggested for GTX 670 with a Non-K processor...Read reviews properly.

In Guru3d test, with an i7 965 Extreme Edition CPU, overclocked at 3.75 GHz, the total power consumption was 296W at full GPU load and even I add another 100 watt for 100% CPU load, which is highly unlikely with a 32 nm non-K 2500 processor, the power consumption is 396W.

In fact a good 550W PSU can handle GTX 670 and GS600 is enough to handle it.

I have been insisting on the TDF members exactly about this. Many members recommend 620W Seasonic PSUs to a 45K rig and things like that. To all those, please check the real world usage before suggesting such overkill PSUs if OP is not going to upgrade anytime soon.

Bro, my 560ti is enough for 2d gaming on max settings at 1080p. But i do 3D gaming now and that's where my gpu sores out , that's why i am planning to upgrade.

Asus gtx 670 dcu2 top performs on par or even better in some games than the reference gtx 680 and the money difference is almost 10k. So that has got me confused which one to go for.

GTX670 is a much better choice over GTX680. Many reviewers have actually said that it's bringing a death tone to the sales of GTX680, when you get the 680 performance by mild overclocking at a price difference of 10K. Just go for GTX670 at the moment.

OP
R

rahulmax

Broken In
GTX670 is a much better choice over GTX680. Many reviewers have actually said that it's bringing a death tone to the sales of GTX680, when you get the 680 performance by mild overclocking at a price difference of 10K. Just go for GTX670 at the moment.

Thanks.. i'll go for the ASUS gtx 670 Direct CU || TOP version!! :cool:

Thanks everyone!! :-D

koolent

Youngling
The GTX 680 and That too with Direct CU2 is completely going to rock your RiG. Max out any Games on 3D and it will go really smooth. At 2D, even Crysis Warhead is gonna bow to you ;-) . You PSU ie. GS 600 is really a nice PSU and will serve you with compleate ease and no sweat.

Your CPU is pretty nice actually, which you don't realize ;-) .. It will help your GPU to max out the games.. :)

Congrats AND DO NOT FORGET TO POST THE PICS.

Happy Gaming :)

To some members here:

PLEASE READ UP BEFORE SUGGESTING SOMEONE !! :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The GTX 680 and That too with Direct CU2 is completely going to rock your RiG. Max out any Games on 3D and it will go really smooth. At 2D, even Crysis Warhead is gonna bow to you ;-) . You PSU ie. GS 600 is really a nice PSU and will serve you with compleate ease and no sweat.

Your CPU is pretty nice actually, which you don't realize ;-) .. It will help your GPU to max out the games.. :)

Congrats AND DO NOT FORGET TO POST THE PICS.

Happy Gaming :)

To some members here:

PLEASE READ UP BEFORE SUGGESTING SOMEONE !! :)

buddy Op is going for GTX 670 DCII Top not the GTX 680 DCII Top ;-)

Top Bottom