Upgrading from my Nokia 5800XM

noob

Cyborg Agent
@azbokikr : 4 Inch or even 4.2 is better and trust me , if u get < 4 Inch screen , you will curse yourself after seeing what android can do.

Better get 4 Inch Screen Phone

Audio quality on galaxy S is just gr8..(dont use headphones that comes with box. it sucks)

OP
azbokikr

azbokikr

Broken In
Hi guys,

I've decided to buy the Nokia N8. Is there any price cuts expected any time soon or can i buy it right away?

The dark grey color seems to be out of stock at both letsbuy.com and flipkart.com. However, saholic.com seems to have stock of the same. Price after applying coupon code 20.7k. Is it a good price?Also, is saholic.com reliable?

OP
azbokikr

azbokikr

Broken In
Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

Finally, i picked up a dark grey color Nokia N8! :grin:

I managed to procure an October 2011 manufactured (in Korea) phone locally. It costed me 21.7k, got a free Sennheiser HD218 headphone with it. I could have gone the online shopping way and saved a few bucks, but i haven't had a pleasant experience with yebhi.com and have heard of the callous attitude of Letsbuy.com. Flipkart doesn't sell the N8 anymore, so i decided to shell out a little more and buy the phone locally.

I've been using this phone for about 3-4 days now, so here goes my first impressions.

Symbian Anna OS: Coming from the S60v5, i had no difficulty with the Anna. It feels like an updated version of the S60v5. I have found all the apps i was looking for. I've not yet encountered any lags/freeze/crashes.

The one thing i don't like in the Anna is the keyboard. It is cramped in the normal alpha keypad mode. I haven't gotten used to it yet. The portrait keyboard is no joy either. I keep hitting the keyboard menu button a lot. It makes texting a chore. The 5800XM is much much better here.

Battery life: Although i haven't thoroughly tested the battery life, it has enough juice to last for 2 days atleast with my kind of usage (20-30 texts, 20-25 mins calls, 30-35 mins of music in loudspeaker mode, ~1 hour browsing everyday). Happy with the battery life so far.

Build quality and looks: The phone is gorgeous to look at. My whole family is a fan of its looks. And the build quality is top notch. No complaints whatsoever in this department.

Display and the purple tint problem?: The display is gorgeous. I haven't noticed any purple tint issue. I'm not sure if this is still a problem that Nokia has to fix, but my phone does not appear to have the purple tint problem.

The "Cool" features:
USB OTG: Haven't used this feature yet. But i'm sure it'll come handy some day.
FM Transmitter: I'm mighty impressed with this feature. The transmitted sound is pretty good and surprisingly, it doesn't drain too much of the battery as i had expected it to do so.

I haven't yet tested the mighty camera nor the music over the earphone. The loudspeaker sounds meek compared to the 5800XM. But, the quality of the audio is excellent.

Overall, am i happy with the phone? Yes. It doesn't have a 1GHz processor. It doesn't run Android OS. It doesn't have access to a billion apps. But the thing is, it doesn't NEED a 1GHz processor. The Symbian maybe a dead platform, but it has got the basics right. The UI is not an eye-candy when compared to what some of the Androids have to offer, but it does what it is supposed to do, without any frills. And i have managed to get all the apps which i need.

The biggest reason for me to go for the N8 over the likes of the Desire S and Galaxy S Plus is the overall build quality. The N8 feels solid, performance-wise, it is no slouch, multimedia is topped off with excellent audio quality, great camera. The battery life is good. It has innovative features like USB OTG, FM transmitter etc. I don't think i was looking for anything more in a mobile phone.

Sarath

iDota
Congrats. That is still a great phone. 1ghz would be an overkill. Symbian is snappy enough already.
I hope you use the camera a lot. A huge chunk of the price is for that excellent camera. You might already know it is the best camera up to date on any mobile phone.

Have fun.

Top Bottom