Upgrading CPU+Mobo+RAM in 20k

guru_urug

iGoogle
Hi Guys,

My current config is in my siggy. Recently my motherboard went kaput. I was looking to upgrade my config anyway, so taking advantage of this situation I have decided to upgrade. Haswell has released recently so seems like a good time to upgrade. I am planning on selling off my Processor and RAM, and shifting to an intel based platform,though I am not biased to amd or Intel. My athlon x4 has served me well, but now intel is doing really well and I would like to give it a try.

Budget 20k for Processor+Mobo+RAM

I am confused whether I should go for ivy and save money or go for haswell be future proof with LGA 1150. I am not looking forward to overclock(unless I can get it in my budget) or go multiGPU. So H77, H87 will be enough with any i5 procy.
Concern with going for haswell is that it is a good deal expensive, there is limited range currently and that broadwell may end up being BGA(please confirm), so the advantage of going with a new socket is moot.
Also I dont know if my PSU will be haswell compatible. I have attached a snip of my PSU details.

seasonic.JPG

Please suggest me some configs. I will be buying from Primeabgb/itwares/flipkart.

Buddy, why not go with an AMD config again? No sense with going with Ivy Bridge (upgradability). haswell chips and boards are both currently not VFM.

My suggestion:

FX 8350 (12k)
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 (7.2k)
G.Skill ripjawsX 1600 MHz 4 GB (2.2k)

not sure if the PSU is a good one or not.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Thanks for the quick reply buddy :)

I am open to an AMD config too, but I want intel options too.

If I do opt for AMD again.. I just realized, since steamroller will be releasing later this year. I could just upgrade my mobo to the best AM3+ socket mobo I can afford now and use my existing processor with it. Later when steamroller releases I can upgrade my processor too. Nothing wrong with the current FX lineup, but it is already a year old now. So maybe I should upgrade processor when steamroller comes out. I can utilize my athlon x4 till then. I want a good boost in processing power.
Is this a good idea?

I am a regular reader of TomsHardware and their CPU hierarchy chart lists all the intel processors in the top tier. I was looking to go for it. So just want some intel configs too. As per most articles, Intel is best for gaming currently,uses lesser power and has a higher IPC. An overclockable ivy should last well for a few years eh?

ASHISH65

Technomancer
Intel i5 3470 - rs 11000

Gigabyte h77-M - D3h mobo - rs 6800

G.Skill ripjawsX 1600 MHz 4 GB - rs 2200

Total - rs 20,000

you cannot get oc intel rig under 20k

Cilus

laborare est orare
Thanks for the quick reply buddy :)

I am open to an AMD config too, but I want intel options too.

If I do opt for AMD again.. I just realized, since steamroller will be releasing later this year. I could just upgrade my mobo to the best AM3+ socket mobo I can afford now and use my existing processor with it. Later when steamroller releases I can upgrade my processor too. Nothing wrong with the current FX lineup, but it is already a year old now. So maybe I should upgrade processor when steamroller comes out. I can utilize my athlon x4 till then. I want a good boost in processing power.
Is this a good idea?

I am a regular reader of TomsHardware and their CPU hierarchy chart lists all the intel processors in the top tier. I was looking to go for it. So just want some intel configs too. As per most articles, Intel is best for gaming currently,uses lesser power and has a higher IPC. An overclockable ivy should last well for a few years eh?

What you have decided regarding keeping your Processor for no\w and upgrade when Steam Roller will be released, is a very good idea. Get a good AM3+ Motherboard like Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 @ 7.2K or Asus M5A99 GX Pro @ 10K

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Thanks for your suggestion Cilus :)

How is the Intel DZ75L-45K motherboard? It has support for k series ivy bridge i5 3570k. I can afford this in my budget. Will this be better than getting a H87 board with a i5 4330? I wont be changing processor for atleast 2 years anyway. If I get a AM3+ board, again I will be stuck with EOL socket since after steamroller(I wont buy Piledriver now), excavator will mostly use a new socket with integrated NB.

PS:Sorry for late replies. I dont have a working PC

Thanks for your suggestion Cilus :)

How is the Intel DZ75L-45K motherboard? It has support for k series ivy bridge i5 3570k. I can afford this in my budget. Will this be better than getting a H87 board with a i5 4330? I wont be changing processor for atleast 2 years anyway. If I get a AM3+ board, again I will be stuck with EOL socket since after steamroller(I wont buy Piledriver now), excavator will mostly use a new socket with integrated NB.

PS:Sorry for late replies. I dont have a working PC
If you want to go with Intel, then you should buy an LGA 1150 motherboard. I think FX 8350 will be more future proof than i5 4xxxk whie being cheaper at the same time.

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Hi ,
Can anyone provide me a link to Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0? I'm not able to get the evo model online.
Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
here you go :

Asus M5A97-R2.0 Motherboard - M5A97-R2.0 by: Asus - TechShop.in - Buy
Asus MotherBoard - M5A97 EVO - www.deltapage.com

OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice guys and bearing with my slow replies. I took your advice and decided to go with AMD.

I am in a mess now. I usually have hectic work timings, today was my day off. So I took time off for this. After a little googling I realised theitwares.com had the motherboard Asus M5A97 R2.0 for 6735/-. Seeing that its cheaper I quickly made the purchase with my credit card. After the order was processed the website showed a banner "We are closed till 06/07/2013 All orders will be executed after that"!!!
Now I am really pissed, they should have that when I was ordering not after the order. They do have the same banner on their homepage only, but since I navigated through Google I went directly to their Computer Hardware subpage. Still they could have it up in BOLD within their order process.
Really bad tactic by them. I will call them up.

Update.
I called up theitwares. He said the only way I would get the motherboard early was if I came to his shop and collected it today itself since he wouldn't be available from tomorrow for a week.
So I went collected my mobo and even got cm hyper 212 evo to over clock my processor while I wait for steamroller. I will post pics later after I setup my system. Right now on phone
Would like to extend a huge thanks to all of you friends :)

Last edited:
OP
guru_urug

guru_urug

iGoogle
Pics attached:

IMG_20130622_184855[1].jpg
IMG_20130622_201342[1].jpg

Damages:
Motherboard: 6730/-
Cooler: 2200/-

Will be waiting till steamroller for CPU and RAM upgrade