Upgrading Advice reqd,Entry-Mid Gaming PC

fieldgunner

Broken In
For the past two and a half years, I used an assembled rig with the following config:-

E6850 Core 2 Duo 3 GHz
XFX 680i LT SLI Board
Sparkle GeForce 8800GT 512 MB graphics card.
2 Gigs Transcend 800mhz DDR3
320 GB WD SATA HDD
500w Zebronics Platinum power

I wanted to upgrade an year back, with dreams of an SLI system but was advised against it. Today, things are different :)

Unfortunately, today...my budget is restricted :( to 25,000/- max.

So, I'm planning the following:-

Proc- Intel Core i5 2400...say 9.5k
Board-Intel DH67BL-B3...say 5.5k
Card-Palit GTX 550 Ti Sonic...say 9k
RAM-4Gigs Gskill...say1.5k

....total-25.5k. Keeping old psu, cabinet, monitor, hdd etc.

Suggestions welcome, please.

ssb1551

Technomancer
Yeah it looks good but I wanna say something on 2 points.

First, why not put 500 bucks more for the GPU and get a Radeon HD6850.I think 6850 will perform better than 550.

Second, I have my reservations about the PSU of yours - Zebronics. I don't think its reliable but I may be wrong so just wait for comments from some other members on this.
I would advice you to get FSP Saga II 500W if you are on tight budget but if can spend more then better get Corsair GS600.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Go with HD6850. 550TI is not worth its price.

Also Zeb 500w might work fine but PSU Upgrade is recommended at least to FSP Saga II 500W for peace of mind. Other Specs are ok.

Alternately I will propose following
AMD Phenom x4 955 BE 5700
Gigabyte GA-880 GM - USB3 4800
G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT 1100
MSI HD 6870 - 11000
FSP Saga II - 2000
= 24600
Well within your Budget. This config will let you play Any Game at HD Resolution with high setts.

This will also let you upgrade to Bulldozer processor in future without changing the motherboard.

+ 6870 is FAR better than 550TI

OP
F

fieldgunner

Broken In
Many thanks, gentlemen...After your advice I have decided to go for HD6850...

upgrading PSU doesnt look like an option right now for me. I know zebronics doesn't have much good reputation but my PSU has been working without any problems.

regarding processor/mobo..in current market AMD PII X4 is better option than Intel i5? Hope I wont be sacrificing much in terms of performance??

ssb1551

Technomancer
If that Zebronics PSU blows off then it will take down 1/more components along with it.So its your call.

No Phenom series don't hold a candle to 2nd generation of i5.Tech_Wiz suggested it from gaming point of view.But for overall performance i5 beats Phenom II 955 hands down.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
i5 is better performer than PII X4 but at its price its more than bag for buck ans as You mentioned you will be using PC for gaming then Its wont bottleneck anything and also will let you buy a Higher Performance GFX which is Main Component for Gaming.

Also Future upgrade to Bulldozer can be done if at all Processor Grunt is required later.

PII 955 BE is comparable to performance of top of the line Core2Quads like 9xxx series so its not at all a bad CPU.

Again Your Choice. But fact is for gaming GPU>>CPU

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
Chota muh badi baat.....

But please invest in a good PSU like seasonic or corsair becuase that is the thing you will carry on newer build time after time

OP
F

fieldgunner

Broken In
I was all ready to go out and buy AMD but now out comes the latest issue of Digit...:p with latest graphics card trials...

Best buy in my price range was Galaxy GTX560 costing 10,290/-

I guess I can use this card with AMD proc-mobo combo as suggested ?? No compatibility problem?

ssb1551

Technomancer
Zotac 560 Ti for 14.3k :
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB HDM

MSI GTX 560 for 11.8k :
MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5

I cant find a GTX 560 for less than 11k at any of the leading online stores. If you can find a GTX 560 for the price mentioned by you i.e. 10.3k then its a steal but you'll have a hard time getting 1 for less than 11k.Best of Luck!!:)

And there wont be any compatibility problems.

ssb1551

Technomancer
But in the 1st post fieldgunner has mentioned his total budget & budget for GPU which is around 9k so if he goes for Ti version(which is around 14k) he'll overshoot his total budget by 5k.Thus in my opinion he should go for HD6850(which around 9.5k) to be within his budget.

Piyush

Lanaya
I was all ready to go out and buy AMD but now out comes the latest issue of Digit...:p with latest graphics card trials...

Best buy in my price range was Galaxy GTX560 costing 10,290/-

I guess I can use this card with AMD proc-mobo combo as suggested ?? No compatibility problem?
first of all what work will you do on your PC?
list down the activities in priority order
that way we can suggest you the best possible option

OP
F

fieldgunner

Broken In
Thanks for all the advice...just reporting that I have gone ahead and upgraded partially...

1.Got a AMDLlano 3850 proc on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD3H for 13200/-.

2.Got a Zotac GTX560 for 10,000/- (Btw...Ti is retailing for 11,500/- at Nehru place... would have got it but slightly beyond budget).

Yet to buy a PSU, will go for 600 w model...three separate dealers in Nehru place told me that 'FSP' is same as 'Tacens'...anyone know that to be true or false? I saw a Tacens Supero 600w PSU yesterday seemed like a good PSU to me but I am not any expert.

@piyush...see thread title.

Piyush

Lanaya
Thanks for all the advice...just reporting that I have gone ahead and upgraded partially...

1.Got a AMDLlano 3850 proc on a Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD3H for 13200/-.

2.Got a Zotac GTX560 for 10,000/- (Btw...Ti is retailing for 11,500/- at Nehru place... would have got it but slightly beyond budget).

Yet to buy a PSU, will go for 600 w model...three separate dealers in Nehru place told me that 'FSP' is same as 'Tacens'...anyone know that to be true or false? I saw a Tacens Supero 600w PSU yesterday seemed like a good PSU to me but I am not any expert.

@piyush...see thread title.
oh damn..didnt see the title

anyways nice purchase
for PSU go for any of these
-->Corsair GS 600W @4k
-->CM GX 550W 80+ BRONZE @ 4.2k(make sure the model is 80+ bronze...not the older one)

I have heard and seen good reviews on tacens supero 500W
but not sure about 600W model 'coz I'm not aware of its OEM

Top Bottom