Upgrades Required - Motherboard and GPU

roccstar2

Banned
Hello,

I'm planning to upgrade my desktop to something a little more recent. I have an Intel core 2 duo E7400 processor, 4 GB of RAM, DG41TY Intel motherboard and a 22 inch BENQ monitor.

I want to upgrade the motherboard and pick up a nice GPU which will allow me to play some games like Borderlands with some of the eye candy turned on. I am quite limited financially right now and plan to pick up these upgrades sometime next month. My planned budget is around Rs 5,000 (If its too less do let me know).

Thanks for your time. Hope I can get some helpful suggestions on here.

Regards!

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Fill up this form to allow us to help you better....

Also,can u stretch the budget a bit more?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
for 5k, you can get HD5670 512Mb/1Gb. or for 5.5k you can get HD6670 1Gb. but need a good PSU. what is your current PSU?

OP
R

roccstar2

Banned
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it was necessary to fill the form since I was just asking for suggestions for 2 parts, but I will fill it in.

@Sam: If I spend 5K on the GPU then I won't have any money to spend on the Motherboard. Do you think my current motherboard can handle the GPU without any issues? I'm not too sure about my current PSU. This system was picked up by parents a few years back. So basically its a hand me down and I want to just improve it enough to play games like Borderlands. I'm not big on gaming so I just want to spend the least possible amount for the GPU.

Thanks!

Here's my PC build questionnaire:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Want to play games like Borderlands. Not a big gamer, just once in a while.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:Ready to take any opinions and options.

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:5K

4. Planning to overclock?
A:NO

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows 7, 64 bit

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:-

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:I have BenQ 22 HD,.Would like to play at good resolutions, 1600X1200?

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:Yes

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:Sometime next month.

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:Not really.

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:I only want the motherboard and GPU.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Bangalore

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:Is my current motherboard (DG41TY Intel motherboard) good enough to run a decent GPU?

Demon Lord

Journeyman
I dont think there are much options available for u to upgrade ur MB.
there might be only few LGA 775 MBs in the market,which i dont think offer anything better than ur current MB.
If ur present MB is working fine keep it,just add a graphics card.
At ur budget u can get Sapphire HD 5670 @4300 rs which ll be enough for u i think.

OP
R

roccstar2

Banned
I am unsure of which PSU I have since I got this system from my parents. It wasn't assembled by me. Is there anyway I can find out the power rating of the PSU without opening up the comp?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
just open 1 side panel of the cabinet. click a pic of the PSU (showing brand, rating, wattage, etc) & share with us here.

mitraark

Decrepit
Don;t change the mohterboard , just get a new GPU , 5670 as everyone is suggesting , will be more than enough to play the games you want.

Top Bottom