Upgraded Bios! Now system won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Mobo is GA-81845GV. Fan and all the led's are running only keyboard is not functioning. I get no beep during startup.

Help. I never upgraded bios before. :(

OP
H

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
PSU was working fine. After upgrading the flash the system didn't even shutdown by itself it got stuck in the "windows is shutting down" message, then i reset the system. Then it never boot. Only fan and rest lights are glowing, keyboard is not working.

And i upgraded with gigabyte's own utility(@bios) via internet. And it completed successfully without any errors. No interruption in between.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
You updated the BIOS in Windows and on top of that you updated through the internet ? Wow man, i must say you have some real guts to try this.

There cant be anything more riskier that what you did.

Best way to flash is in DOS mode. Avoid windows flashing at all costs.

IF you have a bad flsh, you can revive the board by hot flashing. FOr that you need a similar working board.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Well its the manufacturer of the board that's to blame.Why do they provide such stupid utilities which mess up the whole bios.
Well since this is not entirely your fault as the windows bios updating utility was made by the manufacturer of the board you should RMA the board.Or simply put get it replaced.And in future use DOS mode to flash the board.

Well, Intel provides Windows based BIOS installers for its Original boards and they never go wrong unless there is a power surge etc. i had upgraded my desktop's BIOS 8 times (an Intel 82865GBF) with Installshield based installer and never got a problem. Its probably the fault of manufacturer.

Anyways, what you could is look for a recovery BIOS on manufacturer's website. I donno about yours but intel does provides recovery BIOS which can be put on a floppy and after resetting a jumper when system reboots, it automatically uses the BIOS floppy to reset the BIOS. Try looking at manufacturer's site. Else you'll have to find out if you have got a socketed BIOS which is not soldered on Mobo. if yes, you can very well replace it, else mobo is gone for good. Even if you are sure that mobo is gone, you can still try Nehru Place if you are in Delhi. There some guys can perform many unofficial fixes to hardware and i'm sure they'll find a soln for you. Good luck Dude!

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
i had upgraded my desktop's BIOS 8 times (an Intel 82865GBF) with Installshield based installer and never got a problem.!

ur a lucky guy then.
windows based bios flashers r the worst of the lot.if theres a prob with ur os and the system hangs in between the bios flashing process then ur screwed for good.

Yup, may be i am :-D I just took some care and stopped all major services and background programs that do not have anything to do with the install. Then on this clean system, i upgraded my BIOS.

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
there is nothing wrong in flashing bios in windows I have done it a few times with the Dell utility for that.... this is not a problem for modern motherboards...
a few asus mobos can even survive if the process is stopped abruptly in the middle...

sometimes the system wont boot if the mobo cell is dead... try changing the mobo cell

OP
H

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
I think my board is gone.

@darklord I have a friend who have a similar board, but i think it cannot be hot flashed cos the bios chip is soldered on my mobo.
I couldn't find any recovery bios option in their website.

Only thing i can try i replace with a new battery.

Any more suggestions.:cry:

OP
H

Hackattack

Multicore Mutant
Well its the manufacturer of the board that's to blame.Why do they provide such stupid utilities which mess up the whole bios.
Well since this is not entirely your fault as the windows bios updating utility was made by the manufacturer of the board you should RMA the board.Or simply put get it replaced.And in future use DOS mode to flash the board.

Totally agree. They should be sued for making such stupid utilities which give us such nightmares. :evil: And also there is no recovery option or such thing, one small mistake of theirs ruins the whole mobo, and now who is going to pay for that, nice way to make money idiot gigabyte. :evil:

Even replaced with a new battery, no use.

utsav

damn busy...
In my biostar mobo there is a bios boot block function which helps if anything goes wrong while updating bios but cant say abt gigabyte

jamsus

Broken In
I had the same problem after updating BIOS of my GIGABYTE 8I845 mobo 3 weeks ago. I took it to Gigabyte service centre twice. They repaired my mobo for ONLY Rs. 1000 :shock: but it worked for few hours and started giving me same problem then I took it to service centre again and asked for repair without any charges, and again they repaired it. On 11 Feb. 2008 I got my machine back to work after long wait of 3 weeks :D At first they changed the BIOS chip and for second time they just cleaned the channels where we put RAM. So one thing u can do at first is to clean those channels by urself :))

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
does ur floppy drive keep trying to read something ? if yes , maybe there is hope. if not , u'll HAVE to rma it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom