upgrade within ~ 35 k gaming rig

loktar

Broken In
Hello everyone,
after a long hiatus the upgrade itch is back again . I am planning to get my new rig soon and already have scouted chandni chowk , kolkata for the quotations(given below).
any hepl /suggestion will be warmly appreciated ....
:-o:)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: About 80% time browsing , MS office ,movies, statistical analysis, 20% time gaming ( crysis 3 , watchdogs and upcoming GTA 5 , witcher 3 ), occasional OCR and PDF creation with ABBY reader, image editing with ACD see pro.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs 35 k (inc vat 5%) stretchable to max 40 k .

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not in near future . However if i can have the option within my budget , all the better.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 8.1 pro

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2 tb (preferably, mainly for storing media files)

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I'll be using my acer 18.5 " @ 1366 X 768

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor, Psu (cooler master extreme power 500w ),Mouse (logitech M185 wireless),sony dvd drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next weekend...... latest by the end of this month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I'll assemble it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Kolkata and planning to get all components from chandni chowk. Don't plan on getting anything from internet.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: As the pc is mainly going to be used for light work , I'd like to have an intel rig with geforce750ti for low power consumption.All my past rigs were amd and I love them for the VFM, but the power draw of fx series is worrisome and same goes for radeon cards.. would like to know how much does having i5 system provide benefit in this regard. The same reason why I'm not too excited about overclocking...too much power wastage, & from my past experience I have found it provides very marginal benefit where it actually matters( e.g, 60 fps to oc 80 fps makes no diff for me, again 24 fps to oc 27 fps, still its unplayable
:-? )

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the rig I have in mind :

Intel i5 3450
gigabyte b75 d3h
kingston hyperx blue ddr3 1600 mhz 4gb X 2
WD green 2 tb
zotac 750 ti 2 gb
thermaltake h21 cabinet

Rates from Vedant:
i5 3450-10.6k, gb b75 - 4.15 k , corsair vengeance 8gb x 1 - 5650, wd 2 tb - 5k,gainward 750ti - 10.3 k
from MD comp
i5 3450- 10.575k , gb b75-4.125k,wd green 2tb-4950,kingston hypx 4gb - 2625,tt h21-2450,asus 750 ti oc 11k
from lalani,
i5 3450 10.6k, b75-4.2, corsair vengnc 5.5, wd 2 tb -4.9,zotac 750 ti 10.2 k

Add 5% vat to each and the final budget is near 39 k.

my questions are,
1. wd blue is out of stock (could'nt find it despite lot of searching) ... how will be wd green as primary hdd (apart from slow speed which I can manage; also i have an old seagate 7200 rpm , 32 mb buffer Hdd; will it be better to install os in it for time being? not planning on ssd right now)
2. really confused about whether to go for 4th gen i5 (as they support more advanced instruction sets) , however performance diff is negligible compared to 3rd gen and cost of rig goes up by 2k (4440 @ 11k & b85 @ 5.4K). MAy be cause it has better igp but i dont need that as i'm getting discreet gfx. Also I read that not all psu support haswell... what is your experience on that?
3. Getting AMD fx 6300 seems like a nice solution but as mentioned, really worried by the electricity consumption ... how much diff really it makes compared to i5 ? users opinions are most welcome !

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
i5 4570>FX8320>i3 4130>FX6300>A10-6800

Intel i5 4440 -11000,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5200,
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (4GBx2) -5600,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3900, (WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB Internal Hard Drive - WD: Flipkart.com )
Zotac GTX750 Ti 2GB -10200,
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 -3600.
TOTAL -39,500.

Alive_Hunter

In the zone
my questions are,
1. wd blue is out of stock (could'nt find it despite lot of searching) ... how will be wd green as primary hdd (apart from slow speed which I can manage; also i have an old seagate 7200 rpm , 32 mb buffer Hdd; will it be better to install os in it for time being? not planning on ssd right now)

If ur from mumbai.. check with the theitwares.com @ Lamigton road. I jus got 1TB WD Blue 2 days back .. COD @ Rs3600
its import Date was - March 2014.

even i was search for the same from last 25 days... Had ordered on snapdeal.. but they send me WD Green three times in replacement.. huh... snapdeal is pathetic..!! and finally the 4th time they were not sure but still shipping ... but i cancled the order and took refund.!!

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
You can order WD blue 1tb online. I had the same problem. WD Blue wasn't in stock anywhere at chadni. So ordered via flipkart. Got it in 2 days. No problems with the drive.

OP
loktar

loktar

Broken In
@OP; Cooler Master Extreme isn't a good PSU. You should get Antec VP550P.

Actually I did search for antec vp 450 / corsair cx 430 / seasonic 400 locally... none of them are available . Only options were corsair vs series( with poor capacitors) and cs series(gold certified but way too pricey). I think I will wait a while for quality bronze certified antec/corsair be available or gather enogh money for cs 450. Meanwhile the cm extreme has served me well all these years ( without any u.p.s and midst voltage fluctuations and power cuts) so I think I'll let live for a whille :)

You can order WD blue 1tb online. I had the same problem. WD Blue wasn't in stock anywhere at chadni. So ordered via flipkart. Got it in 2 days. No problems with the drive.

Price of WD blue have increased on FK ;moreover it is not being sold by WS retail , so not really considering it. Also , it is difficult not to drool over 2tb at only 1k more :D:p
Thanks for the info though!
So back to that question again: apart from being a bit slower , does wd green have any other problem that might caution against games / os installation? and how would be seagate hdd? I heard a lot of people complaining of poor quality and A.S.S. . can seagate barracuda 2 tb be a good alternative?

- - - Updated - - -

i5 4570>FX8320>i3 4130>FX6300>A10-6800

Intel i5 4440 -11000,
Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5200,
Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (4GBx2) -5600,
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3900, (WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB Internal Hard Drive - WD: Flipkart.com )
Zotac GTX750 Ti 2GB -10200,
Corsair Carbide SPEC-01 -3600.
TOTAL -39,500.
Thats the config I am thinking about right now so thanks for the heads up ! However prices locally in kolkata will be a bit higher (add 5% vat). I checked out thermaltake h 21 and found it impressive with great ventilation , usb3,cable management and cool window... corsair carbide is a dashing cabinet but out of my budget at present.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Actually I did search for antec vp 450 / corsair cx 430 / seasonic 400 locally... none of them are available . Only options were corsair vs series( with poor capacitors) and cs series(gold certified but way too pricey). I think I will wait a while for quality bronze certified antec/corsair be available or gather enogh money for cs 450. Meanwhile the cm extreme has served me well all these years ( without any u.p.s and midst voltage fluctuations and power cuts) so I think I'll let live for a whille :)

Price of WD blue have increased on FK ;moreover it is not being sold by WS retail , so not really considering it. Also , it is difficult not to drool over 2tb at only 1k more :D:p
So back to that question again: apart from being a bit slower , does wd green have any other problem that might caution against games / os installation? and how would be seagate hdd? I heard a lot of people complaining of poor quality and A.S.S. . can seagate barracuda 2 tb be a good alternative?

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the config I am thinking about right now so thanks for the heads up ! However prices locally in kolkata will be a bit higher (add 5% vat). I checked out thermaltake h 21 and found it impressive with great ventilation , usb3,cable management and cool window... corsair carbide is a dashing cabinet but out of my budget at present.

corsair spec 01 cabinet???
*www.theitdepot.com/product_quick_view.html?q=21288

and
Buy Online Silverstone SST-PS03B-W Mid Tower Cabinet in India

Last edited:

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
The WD blue 2tb was never available I guess. And yeah the seller isn't WS retail. I got mine from a seller called bcpl. But the drive arrived fine and the packaging was great too.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

those are available on flipkart. why don't trust sellers other than wsretail?

not sure how durable the new green drives are. old ones were not good.

OP
loktar

loktar

Broken In
those are available on flipkart. why don't trust sellers other than wsretail?

not sure how durable the new green drives are. old ones were not good.

I'm having an old wd green 500gb for last 5 years , have served me really well :razz:
However speaking of that , my 7 year old seagate 250 gb has performed no nonsense so far as well :chinscratch:
In the end , I'm still undecided on the Hdd .. :confused::confused::confused:

BTW, one thing everyone should know that many reputed companies like lenovo , sony, asus etc often do not accept warranty by flipkart .. I verified it personally from the sales representatives as well as few who were unfortunate to suffer such deals.. In fact Sony clearly stated that they supply only to WS Retail as authorized re-seller and take no responsibility for other online shop products, while lenovo totally ignores any online transaction.

I fear this may be a recent trend but then, it's a reason enough for me to stay away from online shopping for electronics. I know many of us have had steal deals and great service till now(including myself though i always limited to buying casual low priced items like USB drive etc),
better safe than sorry !

- - - Updated - - -

Ok another query ...
I was searching through TDF when I came across alarming news of pathetic A.S.S by both asus and gigabyte (both seem to be handled by accel enterprises)
M.S.I seems alright but any suggestions on the b85 mobo from MSI? It seems cheaper too..
As I'm finally setting out to purchase my rig within a few days, any opinion will be appreciated :)

OP
loktar

loktar

Broken In
get MSI H87M-G43 at 6.4k
Thanks a lot .. will consider the same.
however is it true that MSI has closed shop in India? where does that leave us ? :confused:
I also came across someone inquiring about asrock H81M-HDS and I found it an excellent option. So how are asrock in terms of quality/A.S.S ?
I can really use some help in deciding as many people in the RMA thread have vowed not to buy gigabyte again , and a recent buyer of b85mD3H have narrated his horrible experience regarding the same :-(

btw is Asus A.S.S handled by digicare? then will rather go with asus as all of the asus products (including my present mobo, laptop, tablet) have performed outstandingly till now. Just want to make sure before purchasing.

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
MSI service is still provided here. if you have/face any problems ,you can contact [MENTION=277192]rhyansy[/MENTION] . he is an MSI rep.

- - - Updated - - -

h87 is superior to h81.

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Hi! Im MSI rep here for MSI Gaming Notebooks. If there are any concerns with MB/VGA, feel free to contact me and will be of assistance to contact the right person in charge in MSI HQ.

BTW, MSI service partner in India is Aforeserve.com (Home)

OP
loktar

loktar

Broken In
Get an R9 270, cut costs on cabinet if you have to but 270 is will be pretty much the minimum for next gen gaming IMO
well a r9 270 will be fantastic, only if it were within 10 K.
either ways, as i have mentioned, the gaming resolution is not that demanding and , the gpu will be pushed for a max of 10% of total pc use. so I do not want to go for a power hungry chipset like the radeon.
I am just aiming for a decent card to play games for now , as after introduction of dx 12 in 2015, eitherways we'll all be forced towards a gpu upgrade by 2016 ( and yes, current gpu s will not be dx 12 compatible on hardware level).So rather settle for something economic and which will get the job done comprehensively.
lastly, I do not wish to settle for a cheaper cabinet. (on a second thought , what's cheaper that the h 21 i chose? may be the crappy zebronics / frontech etc?) . cabinet is not something you upgrade often, and a quality cabinet is essential for maintaining system health and longevity.
thank you for the advice though ! If there had'nt been the 750ti around, may be would have gone for amd fx/r9270x combo!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi! Im MSI rep here for MSI Gaming Notebooks. If there are any concerns with MB/VGA, feel free to contact me and will be of assistance to contact the right person in charge in MSI HQ.

BTW, MSI service partner in India is Aforeserve.com (Home)

Thank you for the info ! As I am planning for Msi h87 motherboard, where can I buy the same for the cheapest rate in kolkata? And who handles the Msi RMA in kol ? ( I was under the impression Digicare was in charge of it)

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Thank you for the info ! As I am planning for Msi h87 motherboard, where can I buy the same for the cheapest rate in kolkata? And who handles the Msi RMA in kol ? ( I was under the impression Digicare was in charge of it)

For our distributor, you can contact Acro Engineering (Welcome to Acro Engineering) to find the nearest place for purchasing.

For RMA services, please contact our MSI MB service PM Arjun (arjunpal@msi.com) for direct help.

Hope this is clear.

Top Bottom