Upgrade suggestion for 3d Rendering & Gaming

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
i just need to get the cpu, board & ram since i already have the other reqd components namely, Corsair VX550 SMPS, Coolermaster Elite 330 Cab, Zotac GTS450 gfx card & 1.5 TB HDD ... i have all other components like speakers, monitor,keyboard, mouse etc.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I`ll be working extensively on softwares like 3ds max, After effects, Photoshop & occasionally play games like GTA 4/5, NFS & all kinds of FPS

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:25 k...yes i can extend my budget a little more for a balanced configuration.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Not now. And i`ve no idea about overclocking

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: windows 7 & Win8 in the future

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Already own a 1.5 tb HDD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Nope. I already have a Samsung B2233 Syncmaster

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:i dont want keyboard, mouse , speakers, monitor, power supply, hdd, dvdwriter,

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:in a couple of weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: it will be assembled by a local retailer

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:i live in Mumbai , i'll probably buy from a local retailer since i`ve no idea about after sales offered by websites

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Thanks in advance

Some little research suggests the following config for the CPU_BOARD-

i5 2500k
gigabyte z77mx-d3h

But should this suffice ?

d3p

PowerHouse
@sid_sh85: Do you want UPS ??

Component | Make | Price Processor |AMD Phenom II 960T|6900
Motherboard |Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3|6500
RAM |G-skill 8GB(4Gx2) 1600MHz CL9|3000
Graphic Card |MSI GTX 560ti |14000
UPS |APC 600VA|1800
| Total |31.5k

Last edited:

d3p

PowerHouse
@VKL : Thanks, i just overlooked.

7850 will be a better option for gaming, but when it comes to rendering its always better to stick to workstation cards.

d3p

PowerHouse
But 7850 never gonna help much w.r.t to rendering. Atleast 560ti does supports Cuda. So apps like Autocad, 3DS Max...etc etc takes a little benefit from them.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@d3p

Earlier ico had pointed out in a thread that nvidia cards are crippled in viewports in this post of his:POST

He also gave some links in that post which are given below:
Polycount Forum - View Single Post - Slow viewports In Maya with new nvidia card !

Polycount Forum - View Single Post - Slow viewports In Maya with new nvidia card !

HD7850 would be much ahead of 560ti in rendering.

Moreover Photoshop benefits from OpenCL and OpenGL implementation which are well supported by radeons.
Here are some benchmarks:LINK

So hd7850 would be a better choice because of better performance in gaming,
rendering and other compute oriented tasks.

d3p

PowerHouse
^ nice links, i take my words back. I thought Kepler is slower than GCN.

I was not so sure fermi also follow's the same.

Thanks.

OP
sid_sh85

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
Thanks a ton for your help guys but a couple of things -
1) Personally I`ve been using AMD systems with rocking performance no doubt, but in terms of durability & stability, my friends` Intel systems are better or so i have noticed. So an Intel config could be suggested
2) Also, i dont really want to spend for a gfx card since i feel the 1 which i have is sufficient, what say?
3)UPS not reqd.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Actually now a days openCL and OpenGL have become the new standard for GPU computing and taking over all the other proprietary solutions like APP or CUDA. The Reason is OpenCL is an open standard which can target any SIMD architecture, irrespective of its vendor. It can even use multicore CPU for that.

If you think carefully, you will find out CUDA or APP, most of the applications which can take huge benefit for them are basically Audio/Video Editors or Encoders but there are not much standard apps which we use in other fields.

Now look at OpenCL, even WinZip 16, which is widely used by all of us, can take the advantage of GPU computing. Now AMD GCN provides more than 100% performance improvement over Kepler series cards in GPU computing and Nvidia 500 series is crippled with unoptimized driver from Nvidia to highlight their overpriced Workstation cards.

OP
sid_sh85

sid_sh85

EXPLORING!!!!!
Thanks a ton for your help guys but a couple of things -
1) Personally I`ve been using AMD systems with rocking performance no doubt, but in terms of durability & stability, my friends` Intel systems are better or so i have noticed. So an Intel config could be suggested
2) Also, i dont really want to spend for a gfx card since i feel the 1 which i have is sufficient, what say?
3)UPS not reqd.

Help needed guys!! please suggest an Intel config that fits my budget of 25k. I was particularly eyeing an i5 config so as to cut down costs. Please advise

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Processor:Intel i5 2500k @12.5k
Motherboard:Asus P8Z77-VLX @11.4k
RAM:Gskill RipjawsX(F3-12800/CL9S) 4GBx2 @3.4k

The mobo supports crossfire but not sli.
For the workloads you have mentioned it would be better if you buy a new gpu like hd7850.

Top Bottom