Upgrade help needed for my C2D pc that i havent touched in the past two years.

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans: Primarily for Gaming (whenever i find time) , but for office work (apps like db servers and informatica) .
Which games -- i dont know about any of the recent games . Used to play mario,contra on my dell xps laptop :).
Would like to play red alert 3 and dead space the moment i start my computer.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: I am on a very very very tight budget.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows XP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: HD not needed. Already have a 400 GB and a 160 GB HDD (dont remember if they are from Seagate or WD) .

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Nope . Philips 20 " 1600 x 900 LED Monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Proccy - Intel C2D E8400 LGA 775; RAM 4 GB Corsair DDR2, Transcend 2 GB DDR2. Motherboard Gigabyte G41 Combo. HDD 400 GB + 160 GB SATA. Liteon DVD-RW.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Whenever i find the time to buy whatever is needed ( max by aug end). :)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yep , have built all of my rigs.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai , I will prefer online if the stuff is available at nearly the same price as market.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

Always Wanted to buy one of them crossfire mobos. Not sure if it was all hype but if its possible i will like to buy a crossfire mobo.

Don't have a desire to spend anything over 600 - 800 bucks on the cabinet.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Mention the budget in Indian Currency :)

However, I think you are planning to game very occationally and for this you can just a good Graphics card and PSU with your existing config.

Get the following:-

MSI HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 @ 9K
Corsair CX 430 V2 PSU @ 2.2K

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Yep. The Rest of the Config is good enough to see you through for a couple of years more considering your usage.

OP
M

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
hey guys , so i looked over your suggestions for the GPU .. now this card is a PCI x 16 Express 2.1 card. So what can i expect out of this card as my current mobo only has a pci x16 (1.0) slot ???

Also , dont the current corsairs blow up like the non branded psus ?? and this one only has 2 yr warranty. as against 3 years for other corsairs.

Appreciate the help! Thanks :)

Cilus

laborare est orare
All the PCI-E versions are backward compatible with the older generation. So HD 6850 is okay. Just update the Motherboard BIOS with the latest one for better compatibility.

Regarding Corsair PSU, all the information you've stated is actually completely wrong. Also I've suggested you CX 430 V2, not the old CX 430. The V2 versions come with 3 years of warranty and really great in performance.

OP
M

mehra.rakesh

Journeyman
I meant that the corsairs are not that great as they used to be. The CX430V2 has good reviews though.Anyways , a colleague is selling a open box but unused Gigabyte Superb 600W PSU for 2500 with 3 years warranty. Should i go for this or for the Corsair CX430V2 ???

6850 looks good but not available at 9k in lamington road for the 1 GB DDR5 model. Can you recommend me a online store for a good deal?

Also, my neigbourhood shopwallah is offering an Intel C2D E2160 with a DG31 Intel Mobo with 3 Gigs of DDR2ram and a 500GB IDE a non branded cabinet and a zebronics psu and 15" LCD.This will be used in a school i work as a volunteer . All used for Rs.7000 with 1 year repair warranty. Is it a good deal ???

Last edited:
Top Bottom