Upgrade current PC or assemble a new one?

vjain

Broken In
Hello,as of now i have a PC:

Phenom II X 4 965 BE
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H
corsair 2GB 1333 DDR3 X3
500.0Gb Seagate Harddisk
Lg DVD-Writer
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB ( DDR 3 )
Corsair Power 450VA SMPS
circle Cabinet

The issue is lately i have started rendering and the system is too slow while rendering.My question is can i just upgrade my present PC or do i go for a new one while reusing some of my old pc hardware.I have a budget of 40K.I will not be needing any accessories like monitor/keyboard/UPS.Just the desktop.
Thanks

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:3d rendering

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:40,000-50,000 anything above that,i will have to sell either my year old I-3 or the phenom to compensate.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:I dont know how to,but if needed i will.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:I have a Windows 7 64 bit

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:I have a 500 gb hd,which should suffice

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans:Keyboard/Monitor/RAM/Hard drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Bangalore,No

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:

Thanks & Regards

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think RAm is the culprit here as 2 GB is not sufficient for most of the applications. Phenom II X4 965 is a pretty fast processor and it shouldn't be the cause of the problem.
Get another 4GB Ram from COrsair @ 1.2K. You can also sell of yopur existing Ram and get 2 X 4 GB @ dual channel config. I checked the Product manufacturer's page for that application and their recommended Ram is 3 GB whereas Processor is just Intel Celeron or Pentium. So RAm is probably the culprit.

OP
V

vjain

Broken In
Hello,
Please note i have 6gb of ram...:(

I think RAm is the culprit here as 2 GB is not sufficient for most of the applications. Phenom II X4 965 is a pretty fast processor and it shouldn't be the cause of the problem.
Get another 4GB Ram from COrsair @ 1.2K. You can also sell of yopur existing Ram and get 2 X 4 GB @ dual channel config. I checked the Product manufacturer's page for that application and their recommended Ram is 3 GB whereas Processor is just Intel Celeron or Pentium. So RAm is probably the culprit.

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Rendering is done by cpu and not gpu AFAIK. So change the mobo and cpu and you're done. Get FX-8120 @ 9K-10K and gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ 6k if you are comfortable with OCing. Otherwise get Intel DH67CL @ 5k and core i7 2600 @ 17k. Sell the present 2 gb ram sticks and get G-SKILL ripjawsX 2x 4 gb DDR3 1600 Mhz @ 3.2k

OP
V

vjain

Broken In
Ok,thanks..Can i carry use the same graphics card(Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5570 - 1GB) along with the new config?

Rendering is done by cpu and not gpu AFAIK. So change the mobo and cpu and you're done. Get FX-8120 @ 9K-10K and gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ 6k if you are comfortable with OCing. Otherwise get Intel DH67CL @ 5k and core i7 2600 @ 17k. Sell the present 2 gb ram sticks and get G-SKILL ripjawsX 2x 4 gb DDR3 1600 Mhz @ 3.2k

OP
V

vjain

Broken In
Dissapointed would not be a exaggeration....In fact i am extremely dissapointed.
I purchased a I-7 2600k along with a P8 Z77 Mpro,added a 2 gb ram to the config,so i have 8 gb ddr3-1333 ram.
I had a drawing which took 90 minutes to render on my old Phenom configuration with 6 gb ram,it took me 80 minutes to render the same the same file on the new I-7.I am poorer by 34k,just to save 10 mins.Hope it helps others in making a decision.

My only option now is to learn to club the pc's togethor something like a render farm.:(

Thanks

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
Do you think that could be a issue,everything else is fast except when i start rendering.Do you people feel this configuration is sufficient for rendering purposes?

Thanks

Change your graphics card to more powerful will solve your problem your GPU is very weak for rendering purpose.

Honestly it should not matter as long as it can improve my render performance,keeping in mind that it is compatible with Phenom -II 965 BE.

Thanks for all the help.

Get AMD 6850 for 10k
See this link
Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6850 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card | Graphics Card | Flipkart.com

It can be done both by GPU and CPU if you are not sure don't provide misleading info mate.

Dissapointed would not be a exaggeration....In fact i am extremely dissapointed.
I purchased a I-7 2600k along with a P8 Z77 Mpro,added a 2 gb ram to the config,so i have 8 gb ddr3-1333 ram.
I had a drawing which took 90 minutes to render on my old Phenom configuration with 6 gb ram,it took me 80 minutes to render the same the same file on the new I-7.I am poorer by 34k,just to save 10 mins.Hope it helps others in making a decision.

My only option now is to learn to club the pc's togethor something like a render farm.:(

Thanks

Sorry to hear that but people do trust more on intel they think intel processors will do miracles your phenom was good enough for rendering you just need to upgrade GPU.You should have waited more for some more replies.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
Some Programs are CPU Intensive and Some are GPU intensive. Now , you have bought a very good processor. Your RAM is also good. Try getting a good Graphics Card .

pcforumguy

Starting Off !!!
Can you suggest me a good one please for phenom proc's.Would it improve the speed of rendering?
Thanks

Rendering is done by cpu and not gpu AFAIK. So change the mobo and cpu and you're done.

Change your graphics card to more powerful will solve your problem your GPU is very weak for rendering purpose.

Get AMD 6850 for 10k

It can be done both by GPU and CPU if you are not sure don't provide misleading info mate.

First of all let it be clear that, Final Output Rendering in any 3D application is done by CPU and also with help of some plugins by GPU.

For time saving purpose and to make easier to understand I have made following chart -

App.| GPU | Operation
3D Max | Nvidia Quadro | viewport
|| mental ray render
|| iray render
|| Any plugin which support CUDA
| AMD FirePro and AMD Radeon 7XXX | VRay
|| Any plugin which support OpenCL
|||
Maya | Nvidia Quadro | mental ray
| AMD FirePro and AMD Radeon 7XXX | viewport
|| VRay

RAM nothing to do in the rendering; it's useful in viewport operation.
Which app. and renderer you use ? App - 32 or 64 ? OS - 32 or 64 ?

Very useful link - Review: Professional GPUs – Nvidia vs AMD 2011

P.S. I am not Hardware expert here but I am in the same field of 3D rendering from last 5 yrs.

Minion

Conversation Architect
First of all let it be clear that, Final Output Rendering in any 3D application is done by CPU and also with help of some plugins by GPU.

For time saving purpose and to make easier to understand I have made following chart -

App.| GPU | Operation
3D Max | Nvidia Quadro | viewport
|| mental ray render
|| iray render
| AMD FirePro and AMD Radeon 7XXX | VRay
|||
Maya | Nvidia Quadro | mental ray
| AMD FirePro and AMD Radeon 7XXX | viewport
|| VRay

RAM nothing to do in the rendering; it's useful in viewport operation.
Which app. and renderer you use ? App - 32 or 64 ? OS - 32 or 64 ?

Very useful link - Review: Professional GPUs – Nvidia vs AMD 2011

P.S. I am not Hardware expert here but I am in the same field of 3D rendering from last 5 yrs.

Mate OP has already bought i7 based rig still getting low performance than phenom based system.:-?

pcforumguy

Starting Off !!!
Mate OP has already bought i7 based rig still getting low performance than phenom based system.:-?

Do check OP's statement again :reading: -

....I had a drawing which took 90 minutes to render on my old Phenom configuration with 6 gb ram,it took me 80 minutes to render the same the same file on the new I-7.I am poorer by 34k,just to save 10 mins.Hope it helps others in making a decision.

It's not low performance than phenom based system, it's just not up to the mark what OP had in mind.

Top Bottom