The Nokia N97 received a new update to the version 22 firmware. Have you updated your device yet ? The update brings lots of bug fixes and generally increases the performance as well. I just tried it on my old N97 and it has indeed got much better. Highly recommended update !
I found this changelog :
Data package content, corrections or changes :
* Corrections to TOP ~15 issues reported in the field
* OTC cases fixed:
o Wrong Cherry number used in Russia and Spain
o “System error” displayed occasionally at first start-up. Reported e.g. by Vodafone.
Genius cases fixed:
* Contacts performance improvement:
o #144324: Voice dialing not working when there are 2000+ entries stored in Contacts.
o #134637: Phone prompts “Memory full” when searching for names
Localisation & language variant specific:
* #154188: Message editor crashes and writing fails if predictive text input is On. (Arabic UI, v15 language variant)
* #146139: Scrolling to left and right works the wrong way around in Photos – Captured when using Arabic UI
* #147509: QWERTY keypad input does not work correctly with Calculator. (Chinese language variants: v19, v25, v26)
* #139207: “Slide to Answer” localization error (Hebrew)
* #140654: Localisation error in Bluetooth Audio – “Set as (un)authorized” (Czech)
* #141675: “Security module error” shown in display occasaionally at start-up
* #147863: Occasionally device hangs and restarts soon after start-up.
* #137558: Device keylock opens (although it shouldn’t) when dialing a number using a carkit. (CK-300, CK-600, also some non-Nokia, factory installed car kits)
* Default Nokia tune is played as ringing tone for incoming calls instead of the one user has defined in Profile settings. Also sometimes device ahs stopped alerting for incoming calls. Both issues are now fixed.