Understanding File Compression

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Hello Friends! I have been trying to compress large files (nearly 2~3 GB) to smallest possible size with the help of 7 Zip. Unfortunately, I don't understand the meaning of the terms like dictionary size, etc. So I always fail to compress the files brutally. I have heard and seen people extracting 1.9 GB of data from a 712 MB 7-Zip file. Please help me in detail (like what happens if I set the dictionary size to some value, and so on.), steps to compress files to such smaller sizes, what are the laws of file compression, etc. Thanks!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Get some technical knowledge bout compression etc here-
*bto.bluecoat.com/packetguide/6.0.0/info/algorithms-and-dictionaries-background.htm

To compress to LOWEST possible size use KGB archiver. It will take a long time though. But the work will be good :D

OP
TechPlex

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Thanks man! It was very helpful! And yes I have heard about KGB archiver. And even tried it some months back. But it consumed a lot of RAM and I was not even able to open My Computer.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
TechPlex said:
And even tried it some months back. But it consumed a lot of RAM and I was not even able to open My Computer.
Keep it to compress overnight. It would do a damn good job. 1 GB can be made less than 100 mb if you have proper hardware :D

OP
TechPlex

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Yes that is a good idea. One of my friends too compressed a Ripped copy of Vista (717 MB) to 10 MB.

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Yes that is a good idea. One of my friends too compressed a Ripped copy of Vista (717 MB) to 10 MB.

Its not your friend, i Know which rip you are talking about.

These keep floating about on the internet, and they are all fake, tried and tested!

Compression only works where similar data can be punched together ti save repeats I guess, but 717MB to 10MB can be made when the file in 98% empty inside.

OP
TechPlex

TechPlex

Multiplex Of Technology
Maybe you both are right. I actually never tested whether those files worked or not.
Its impossible for a home computer.

gameranand

Living to Play
Isn't there already a thread about this topic and most things were explained already in that thread.

Top Bottom