unable to open large exe files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajeev86

Broken In
hi,
exe files larger than say 400 MB just wont open on my comp.when i double click on the file or even right click(the different options on right clicking also wont come up), the light on the cpu just keeps blinking, showing that it is processing, but the files just don't open(i have waited up to 15 minutes), i have to press ctrl+alt+del and manually terminate the process. also, the large exe files don't have their normal icons. this happens with any and every file larger than 400 MB-downloaded,on the digit dvd....
i am able to open smaller exe files without any problems.
my processor speed is 2.4 Ghz p4, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB hard disk.
please help me!

chicha

High without substance...
since when are you facing this problem?
if its been there for a long time then its cause your RAM is not suffecient for the processor.

But if its a new problem then i think there are some viruses or sort like that.
install norton and run a check.

but i feel the problem is cause of the bottleneck.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@rajeev86
Do not install Norton if you want to scan your PC. Instead install NOD32 or Kasperksy.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ And its detection rate is also not that good. NOD32 and Kaspersky are way better.

anand1

In the zone
Try to run the exe file while shutting down all the applications running. try to increase ur Virtual Memory also.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I have started facing the problem only since 2 weeks or so. I have set the virtual memory at 1024 MB, is that enough? I will run the scans and see what happens.. I currently have AVG av and za firewall installed, they dint detect any problems.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have started facing the problem, only since 2 weeks then you can use System Restore to restore your system to the state it was 3 weeks ago. This may solve your problem.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
well, i scanned with nod32,it detected a worm-ssvichosst.exe, removed it, but that dint solve my problem. also, i used system restore, that dint help as well...
i also noticed that with some of the not so large files-like 600MB or so, the files open after a very long time,almost took 10 min. but the larger files dont open at all, maybe they would if i waited long enough....
why am i experiencing this problem now, i have installed things from larger files before, thats why i know its happening only now.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you able to open those files in Safe Mode?? Try this and tell.

OP
R

rajeev86

Broken In
the files do open if i wait long enough, i tried opening a 967 MB file, had to wait 25 min for it to open.....any reasons why this is happening, low RAM??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
May be. But you should upgrade your RAM for sure. Its only 256 MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom