Unable to boot linux cds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek788

In the zone
I bought a new pc with config as shown in my sig.
I am unable to boot ANY linux distro cd or dvd...no progress is made after the progress bar of loading kernel is completed.A screen becomes black and stays like that.
I think the h/w is faulty,but then I am able to boot from and install Windows XP with ease.What could be the issue with linux....help becos i cant live without linux....i miss the terminal,the programs,scripts...help...

ThinkFree

Technomancer
May be a motherboard problem which was the case for me and I was unable to go beyond kernel selection screen(ubuntu,gentoo,edubuntu) using my earlier motherboard

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
thanks...i wanted to know that...i am really gonna fix those service personnel of the shop...grr...so much time had i lost trying to fix up things.....

praka123

left this forum longback
sure.btw,check ur bios for some clues.also are u able to complete the installation.blank screen may be becoz of X failing to start too.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i had a problem with ubuntu 5 or something once. Try disabling the onboard audio and lan and then booting. There is also an boot switch to disable hotplug, try disabling that. Just my two cents.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
ilugd said:
There is also an boot switch to disable hotplug, try disabling that. Just my two cents.
I believe hotplug has been superceeded by udev. *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev

OP
Vivek788

Vivek788

In the zone
well...i installed gutsy gibbon with noapic option and it worked.But got stuck at software selection a 80%.So tried feisty with noapic.Worked fine.But now windows gone....when booting into it...a blue screen flashes and system restarts...help...I have done Memory Check(not full...but for >1.30 hrs)...o prbs found...

praka123

left this forum longback
80%-u shud have waited for sometime more.many reported this stuck @ 80% and after sometime the install finishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom