Unable to access Files - probable problem with partition?

sjstays

Broken In
Hi,
Today morning I was trying to increase the size of the partition using a particular software called partition magic. I got an error message and selected the option OK which was the only option available. After that I have lost 3 partitions (?) which don’t show up in my computer. I can see them in the disk management tool. But they do not have a letter or name associated with them. If I do a right click on them I get the error message “the operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up to date,”
I cannot access the data as on this partitions as well. I can see them if I try to navigate through acronis disk director however I cannot recover them. Googled about this and found out that the same can be retrieved by testdisk, however my efforts remained unfruitful. I am attaching the screenshot of the disk console view for your easy reference. Request your help ASAP.
Please feel free to ask questions as the above mentioned information might be inadequate as I am a complete idiot about all these.

HDD Details –
1. Seagate 1000 GB (Disk 0)
2. Samsung 500 GB (Disk 1)
File system NTFS

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date. - Microsoft Answers

Try using diskpart to assign a drive letter to Disk #0, Partition #1.

·Click Start Orb > type diskpart

·Right-click diskpart in results above > click Run as administrator

·Once diskpart loads type list volume, press enter

You should notice that you will see your partition that you use for your data, it should not show a drive letter assigned to it.

·Type select volume 6 (replace 6 with the volume number assigned to the partition in question)

·Type assign letter Z (replace Z with the letter that you want to assign to it)
When you look in Computer, you should be able to see your partition.
never play with partition softwares unless you know what you are doing.also make a backup before trying any such thing.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Don't use several disk partitioning softwares. Most of the time they tend to mess things up. Use windows management console with command prompt and format those partitions. Obviously existing data would be eventually lost.

aswin1

Journeyman
Try partition table doctor or any similar software to recover partitions. Don't use partition magic it is an outdated software.

Top Bottom