UltraBook.?..:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

I want to buy a UltraBook around 50k.
I can wait for some months if its worth Waiting.
I really like the MAcbook Air but its 70K. Can i get it for cheap anywhere or from the US? Also , when the Air will receive an upgrade?

aroraanant

Explorer
I don't think Air is going to have any upgrade soon.
Yes obviously its cheap in US but if see the current rate of Dollar right now there is not going to be much difference.

red dragon

Master troll
Look into Acer ultrabook,though not very good(after all Acer)but falls inside your budget.
Good ultrabooks are still very expensive buddy!!
You may look into series 3 laptops from Samsung...they do not come with ssd,but pretty light and good looking.
I personally am waiting for a good deal on thinkpad x220.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forget about both of them for the time being. Buy next year. Because we are going to have pretty serious competition.

imho, Intel doesn't have the right platform (chip) for their so-called "Ultrabooks"....sure, they use special "ultra low voltage" binned Sandy Bridge processors which are good processor wise. At the end of the day, Intel HD graphics suck and you can't game on them.

if you are going for a portable, your requirement is mostly this: 1) Battery life 2) Check out mail and carry out basic tasks 3) Quick boot through a SSD 4) Watch videos without draining battery 5) Ocassional gaming

AMD with their Fusion processors on the other hands, give you a weaker processor (wait for next iteration named Trinity) than an Intel ULV but much much better graphics built-in. Fusion = CPU and a proper GPU on the same chip. Laptops with discrete graphic cards are battery hogs.

Take this for graphic intensive benchmark for example.

AMD A8-3500M (Llano) uses 50% power compared to i5-2520M. This means it will last ~two times more on battery. And obviously with AMD's superior graphics, A8-3500M will run this graphic intensive benchmark ~2 times faster than i5-2520M.

*i.imgur.com/Dwmfz.png (power consumption under graming)

*i.imgur.com/sUM4w.png

*i.imgur.com/hUQlc.png (twice as fast in gaming)

Wait for AMD to come up with "Trinity" in Summer. That is going to get better on every front. - I expect Intel to be kicked out of the low-end laptop and Ultraportable notebooks segment. AMD E-350 has already knocked out Intel Atom from the netbook segment. Intel will only rule high-end "Laptops" in coming years. Not portables.

Note: I know i5-2520M is NOT an Ultrabook processor and processor wise it will rape A8-3500M - but a strong processor is never there in an Ultraportable. I'm only trying to give you a proper idea that this market is going to see "uthal-puthal" soon. So, it is not wise to get one "Ultrabook" at the moment.

OP
Neo

Neo

Thanks a lot. That means i cannot but a laptop right now.
So when is the time to buy? August? December? Next Year?. That's too long.
But I think I'll have to wait for the time being.

dabster

In the zone
Ultrabook.. Nice. ppl are looking.

I have been keep this - Amazon.com: ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Ultrabook (Silver Aluminum): Computers & Accessories dream zenbook in my list for sometime, Let's see when its really available arnd.

Looks pretty awesome and beats almost all the rest in competition on specs + neat but catchy looks. What more needed. :)

Last edited:

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have an iSqaure (apple) store in my city. They had a C2D MacAir for Rs 42K. But if I were you, I would wait for AMDs offering.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ultrabook.. Nice. ppl are looking.

I have been keep this - Amazon.com: ASUS Zenbook UX31E-DH52 13.3-Inch Thin and Light Ultrabook (Silver Aluminum): Computers & Accessories dream zenbook in my list for sometime, Let's see when its really available arnd.

Looks pretty awesome and beats almost all the rest in competition on specs + neat but catchy looks. What more needed. :)
tbh, a $100 more and you get Macbook Air.

Theodre

In the zone
I am waiting for the APU to come and am a big fan of AMD :cool: I always wanted AMD to be powering my first Laptop too :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom