ubunutu installation hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayushman9

Journeyman
i am new to linux , and i got a ubunutu cd of version 7.10 free from some where . The cd is free of defect .I decided to test it using innotek virtualbox .i have alloted it a 2 gb hard disk space (dynamic) and 415 mb ram .Now the live cd boots (in the virtual enviorment ) properly and everything runs fine .When i try to install it ,i choose d whole hard disk option . The installation runs properly till 82% and then hang at some place called configuring/connecting mirror or some thing like that ,i tried 2 or 3 times it still hangs .

I am not able to take the risk of formatting as i have limited knowledge about linux file system .

How can i pass by these problem .

i have attached a screen shot if you want to view the stage
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.b227c528c5.jpg

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^sometimes,ubuntu finishes installation after this "82% completed" hang.
^also make sure ur partitions are OK.make sure "/" and swap of 400MB was made.
else,you have to get Ubuntu 7.10 version called "alternate CD" with text based debian installer which does the job fine.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
i am new to linux , and i got a ubunutu cd of version 7.10 free from some where . The cd is free of defect .I decided to test it using innotek virtualbox .i have alloted it a 2 gb hard disk space (dynamic) and 415 mb ram .Now the live cd boots (in the virtual enviorment ) properly and everything runs fine .When i try to install it ,i choose d whole hard disk option . The installation runs properly till 82% and then hang at some place called configuring/connecting mirror or some thing like that ,i tried 2 or 3 times it still hangs .

I am not able to take the risk of formatting as i have limited knowledge about linux file system .

How can i pass by these problem .

i have attached a screen shot if you want to view the stage
*img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.b227c528c5.jpg

Just disable the networking option in the virtualbox. And reinstall from beginning. Your installation should be fine. :D

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
Same problem happened here

Well, The 7.10 version of Ubuntu (Gutsy Gibbon) tries to fetch the available updates in the time of installation (preferably when installing apt). So in the Virualbox software, there are a LAN configuring option is enabled by default. It connects to Internet through LAN when available. The Ubuntu installer gets a active LAN connection every time and tries to fetch the updates. So, to avoid this, pls disable the LAN and reinstall. It should install. *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/32a.gif

ThinkFree

Technomancer
When I tried to install ubuntu 7.1 from digit dvd it stopped at 71% mark but installation was completed with another CD

OP
ayushman9

ayushman9

Journeyman
i disabled lan and network setting and installation completed . THANKSSSS

By the way can i connect to web using dataone broadband connection in ubunutu.

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
i disabled lan and network setting and installation completed . THANKSSSS

By the way can i connect to web using dataone broadband connection in ubunutu.

So at last someone thanked me, whoops ! :shock:

Still not from the geniuses though ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom