Ubuntu uses Paid Forum Software -- lets Free the Penguin

Status
Not open for further replies.

techbirbal

Broken In
Well Ubuntu is the messiah of the open source world, it seems though they are breaking their own heads by using (hold your breath) proprietary Forum Software (Vbulletin) which is very un-opennish in nature on their Forums. Common ubuntuans,theres always the pengun ish phpBB as the savior..

Digg here to support PhpBB *digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_uses_Paid_Forum_Software

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
What's wrong with using something thats helpful? You've seen the rebellion here too perhaps.

And those forums aren't run by the official Canonical themselves, its a community run forum that's just been endorsed as "Official Community Support Forums". Nothing less nothing more.

OP
T

techbirbal

Broken In
Does it matter to the opensource community who the hell owns Microsofot!!..

When you speakth of Eat opensource, Sleep openSource and Drink opensource, you cannot blame it on "oh we partly own it" but dont support it...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Right, so you want to give them more work managing the forum than to provide quality tech support which can be much better at a price ?

OP
T

techbirbal

Broken In
its not about giving anybody more work or less work.

Its more about the foundation on which the entire community has been built.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Ubuntu using vbulliten with vbseo cause of pack of members they are having consider phpbb is slow and current ubuntu forum feels a lil slow even after having vbseo installed . So i did not think its wrong its for gr8 motive after all ;)_

OP
T

techbirbal

Broken In
VBulletin is the one which is heavy on resources, which is due to the fact that it has too many unwanted features, like thank you and groan on each post,
phpbb3 is lighter, to the point, no unwanted features, does it work beautifically.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
techbirbal said:
like thank you and groan on each post
And you see them applied there? Of course the implementers care about speeds as much as caring about what's best for the massive amount of users there, and as it is, I neither feel its slow even on dial up nor do I wish it gets a major interface haul with lesser functionalities. PHPBB3 isn't bad, agreed, but it needs to get better enough to compete with vB's offering.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What's wrong in using a paid software? Who says paying someone is bad?
And anything on Launchpad?

eddie

El mooooo
Since when did Open Source or Linux movement become "Kill the rival products" movement or "Do not use what works best for you" movement? Linux and FOSS just means that make excellent software that work best for you. If something does not work for you...you will not be forced to use it nonetheless. Supporting FOSS doesn't mean you have to become a fascist...it just means using and creating better products in a community.

If phpBB doesn't suite Ubuntu Forums' requirements then they are in their very right to use any other alternative. The author of the digg article needs to understand the basics of FOSS...not the Ubuntu Forums.

P.S. Two of the biggest Linux online forums i.e. linuxquestions and justlinux use vBulletin as well. Oopsie I just gave the troll more targets to attack :)

Vivek788

In the zone
@eddie you are correct....I too feel some opensource enthuasists(not related to digit forum) are going beyond the limit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom