Ubuntu: Taking Over the Linux World

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket357

Security freak
infra_red_dude said:
again.. i've seen 'average joes' shunning gentoo jus coz they heard somewhere that there are no binaries.. everything has to be built from source. but the beauty of emerge is only known to those who actually use it! :)

there are numerous misconceptions floating around when it comes to linux and new users....

Well said...there's nothing more frustrating in the world than a competent, intelligent user who could *easily* learn Gentoo or Slackware (and benefit from the amazing package management or administrative capabilities), but they don't because "Oh God, I have to *learn* something?!?"

Oddly enough, I ask the same user a question concerning their Mandriva install, and they're quick to brain-dump the gory details of the latest bug list...

I don't get it.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
rocket357 said:
Well said...there's nothing more frustrating in the world than a competent, intelligent user who could *easily* learn Gentoo or Slackware (and benefit from the amazing package management or administrative capabilities), but they don't because "*leOh God, I have to arn* something?!?"
According to scientists , Sanskrit is a much more logical(and thus better language) than english , so i suggest why don't you *learn* the sanskrit language and make all your posts in sanskrit rather than using the crap english :rolleyes:

din

Tribal Boy
@Zeeshan

I have no clue what you meant. What I understood form the posts of Infra_red_dude and rocket357 is that

People who *can* experiment with Linux also not trying to do so coz they think they have to learn ! So they prefer the easiest ways.

For example, someone whos a shop keeper, we can't expect them to install softwares using text mode or finding the dependncies etc (I know exceptional cases, one of my friends a medical rep used to do kernal recompile, another person working in a bank, became an expert in Debian in Cochin, Kerala)

And regarding the happiness we get form experiments, nothing can be compared with that. I remember using RH 6.1, it was very tough to get the graphics mode, I could get it somehow, then it was like a dream to play movie in Linux, I tried a lot and (of course I didn't do any programming) and finally it worked. Even that made me so happy and I can imagine teh satisfaction we get when we do experiemtns with Linux.

Not everybody can do it, but those who can, why being lazy ? I thought thats what they both meant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And yes, if he talk in Sanskrit, you will understand it ? But learning sanskrit and gettin a lot of knowledge is something bad or sounds funny ?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well i HAVE experimented with quite a lotta linux distros and still continue to do so and have over the time developed a proficiency in degian's package management system , and that's what i said .

but rockets357 seems adamant on proving to me that Gentoo portage is better(i'm not saying it's better , or it's not , what i'm saying is that i can do my work with dpkg and apt so i'll try others when i need to do so)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
din said:
And regarding the happiness we get form experiments, nothing can be compared with that. I remember using RH 6.1, it was very tough to get the graphics mode, I could get it somehow, then it was like a dream to play movie in Linux, I tried a lot and (of course I didn't do any programming) and finally it worked. Even that made me so happy and I can imagine teh satisfaction we get when we do experiemtns with Linux.
sniff... sniff... how true :)

i remember those dayz when i was new to linux... but i cud get along well coz i had sufficient dos knowledge and hence wasn't scared from using the CLI.... i had an Xwave XG sound card wid fm801 chip... somehow managed to install alsa and get it working... those dayz alsa wasn't bundled alongwid most distros... when i got Xwindows working first on my trident 9750 then on my nvidia tnt2... the joy of running sawfish smoothly... when i first compiled kernel for my needs... memories galore... :) those dayz only the 'fortunate' group hardware was kinda fully supported out of the box.... so getting linux to work completely on my 'not so fortunate hardware' was a big achievement for me!

well this ad perfectly fits in here:

xwave xg snd card - rs.5000
tnt2 agp - rs.9000
17" monitor, non-standard resolution - rs.15000
db15 bus joystick - rs.3000

getting linux to work the way you want on this hardware - priceless! :)

there are somethings money can't buy... for everything else (read windows, mac) there's mastercard!! :D :D :D

obviously u need money (credit card hereh..) to buy windows which has full driver support for all for this hardware!!! ;) hehe....

but things haf drastically changed.. ubuntu has always worked for me in modern times. no matter what hardware i've thrown in, it has detected if not installed the drivers automatically (i can do it!). linux has come a long way.. and yes i must say: linux is taking over the world :)

Last edited:
OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
i think old times OSS sound system was the only way.alsa was yet to get developed as did by Jaroslav Kysela ;)
Also XFree86 was too messy :?:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ yeah rite.. ask me... i know the importance of alsa!! :D :D

one thing i'd like to say... no matter how noob friendly and easy it becomes, but the charm of linux is still the terminal! :) nothing can ever replace it!!!

Pathik

Google Bot
@infra wen had u tried linux the first time and make all that h/w work?? I mean in wich yr? Nd wich distro???

din

Tribal Boy
Very true.

While at IBM training we were given terminals to access AIX and everything was in text mode. Chat, wall, the vi (no, we knew about pico after a long time), it was fun.

Then it was RH text mode boot. That green n black text with [OK] right to every line, then rpm-ivh, install, make, that was so nice.

I never recompiled a kernal, never done any system level programming, but text mode was pretty nice. As infra_red_dude said, "charm of linux is still the terminal"

Oh well, diverted form thread. Anyway gonna install Linux tomo (after a long time !) Will try Ubuntu first :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
the year was 1997 (when me was abt 12 years old or so).... the distro was red hat linux 5 (during that time, rhl was the only distro easily available)... i was so so so happy to get X windows and fvwm95 working on my system wid a trident vga adapter :) doubly happy to get the sound working... :) :)

then after that i upgraded my machine.... got a p2 machine... tnt2 and other stuff... getting linux completely work on it was hard.. but not harder than what i'd already accomplished!! :) the distro was slackware....

going thru man pages, guides etc.. made me use the CLI for installing and setting up hardware and various other things.... i used to think the batch programming that i did in dos was cool....but i was amazed at CLI's sheer power (bash)...that was the time when i fell in love wid the CLI... and i maintain this love even to this day.... :)

whether ubuntu takes over the linux world or linux takes over the world.. i'll never let go of my beloved CLI :)

@din
very true... even this day.. i prefer working wid vi over gedit or kate!

rocket357

Security freak
Zeeshan Quireshi said:
According to scientists , Sanskrit is a much more logical(and thus better language) than english , so i suggest why don't you *learn* the sanskrit language and make all your posts in sanskrit rather than using the crap english :rolleyes:
Interesting...and yet, when one individual posts in "regional" dialect, people look down on it. Why don't you all post in Sanskrit, then? Just curious...

And if it means that much to you (I'd determined that learning the language wasn't a requirement because of the fact that these posts are predominantly English) I'll learn Sanskrit. I've been meaning to learn another language, honestly...just haven't devoted much time to it =) Just don't flame me if I say something retarded like "I am a Jelly doughnut" haha

Zeeshan Quireshi said:
but rockets357 seems adamant on proving to me that Gentoo portage is better(i'm not saying it's better , or it's not , what i'm saying is that i can do my work with dpkg and apt so i'll try others when i need to do so)
Sorry if I came across wrong...

Portage has it's pros and cons...just as any other package manager. If you're happy with dpkg and apt, then by all means, stick to what you like! *I* like portage because of the sheer control it gives you. Apologies if I came across rude...I didn't mean to imply that dpkg is "lesser" or whatever...if it floats your boat, use it.

Edit - My post was NOT directed to people who are actively experimenting and learning! You've stated, Zeeshan, that you've experimented with numerous distros...this is good! I'm not saying that "to be a competent Linux user one MUST learn portage"...that's complete non-sense and would make me out to be a complete elitist (which I don't consider myself to be). Besides, portage has gotten "soft"...haha.

Seriously, I didn't mean to offend you, Zeeshan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom