Ubuntu side by side Installation

mitraark

Decrepit
I had Ubuntu 11.10 installed on my Laptop, side by side, on a 30 GB partition ( NTFS ) with WIndows 7

I formatted my laptop and installed Windows 8 recently, the previous Ubuntu doesn't work any more.

I want to install Ubuntu 12.04 the same way with Windows 8, but i'm confused ,
i boot from Live USB drive, go to the install Ubuntu menu, Side by Side,
and then they ask me for specifying the disk, it says, drag separator to allocate space, i'm not sure which drive they are considering to install Ubuntu, it shows my HDD as a whole, can't i install Ubuntu on the separate partion that is already present ?

I forgot how i installed the last time, it surely seemed different as far as I remembered , i'm not even sure i had to make a Live USB drive, i did it from Virtual Clone Drive moutned ISO.

Googled it but they are mostly showing different methods ( Specify Partition, ext format etc.. )

Went ahead and installed Ubuntu after allocating 20GB partition ( specifying size by dragging )

Ubuntu installed fine, now boot screen shows option

Ubuntu
Advanced ...
Memtest
Windows 8 Loader (on sda1)

But "windows 8 loader", whenever i click on it , screen becomes black for a second and then returns to the same menu.

Sigh -_-

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i also had trouble dual booting ubuntu with win 8 in my lappy, to the extent that before i knew i had clean formatted my hdd. XD
anyways, so this got it running for me -
i picked up an iso of ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. then created a bootable usb with pen drive linux. in other pendrive i had a setup of my windows 8. i 1st installed windows. hdd is 500mb. i devoted 75gb primary to windows, it created 350mb system primary partition on its own and went ahead. so remaining was around 390mb i think.
with windows installed, i restarted my lappy to boot from ubuntu usb. then it shows options like install along side win 8, clean format and install etc. choose that last one where u manually specify partitions. u will see sda1 and sda2 as windows partitions and rest space empty. now create following -

primary, ext 2, mount point - /boot, size - 200-250mb
logical, ext 4, mount point - /, size - 10gb~
logical, ext 4, mount point -/home, size - i created this 45gb, as in my case it stores my videos, pics, and steam downloads etc.
logical, swap, i created this 4gb, the size of my memory.

now in the option to mount bootloader i selected my hdd (dev/sda)
went ahead with installation.

now in boot screen it showed me -
ubuntu
advanced options for ubuntu
memtest
windows loader (sda1)

go to windows loader and it will start windows 8, u can use remaining space to create logical partitions in windows 8. i used EaseUS partition manager for that.

hope it works for u..:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom