Ubuntu should Learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Just saw some Fedora concepts today and though of posting this thread ..Now soon Ubuntu will release it own Long Term Support OS. Which will be used worldwide more than a simple release Like Gutsy Gibbon.. Ubuntu community has tried to add gr8 set of s/w and support for new hardware.. Now it comes to eye candy .. as you must be informed that Ubuntu is not going to provide new set of icons and theme .While other OS are trying hard to improve both support and eye candy ..

So what guys you say .. It not actually about eye candy but a newbie which pop up the Live CD and see a Fugly desktop what is his 1'st impression .. OMG I better stay with Blue XP it looks darn better any day..

So just point what you want to see in Gutsy ...Also how dissatisfied you are that new themes aren't implemented !1
Check out other distro artwork for their upcoming release.. .. ubuntu users thinking of using it further keep drooling :p

Fedora 9 Artowork
New open SUSE overall Interface

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Personally I would prefer more focus be placed into the functionality of the software than its appearnace. To me I think that the GUI is user friendly its the other factors which makes new people shy away from Linux. But thats only my opinion.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Personally I would prefer more focus be placed into the functionality of the software than its appearnace. To me I think that the GUI is user friendly its the other factors which makes new people shy away from Linux. But thats only my opinion.

Taking your point too.. In GUI too Ubuntu sucks .. The main menu is horribe..though it is simple but I would prefer open Suse or Mint menu any day .. The only thing I love is apt-get thats why I am using it :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Yeah, The brown theme's gotten way too old :p
Time for a replacement IMO.
And yeah i've seen quite a few people getting turned off by the looks.

legolas

Padawan
Actually, I feel the same about Ubuntu Gnome color schemes and themes.

I personally have worked with Fedora and ubuntu alone. And I should accept, I am somewhere between novice and intermediate...

How easy or different would it be to try Open Suse?? I again am attracted to it only seeing the screen shots and I don't know anything else about it... even if its Debian based like Ubuntu.. Personally I love Debian based coz they allow easier updates and installation which I always find difficult to in Fedora...

Please suggest if it would be any better/different/difficult etc... to try open suse?? I have ubuntu gutsy and vista now. I would like to try open suse sometime...

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
I feel that sooner or later fedora is going to replace ubuntu as the widely used linux distro.
just look at the speed they are developing fedora!!!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Sabayon is basically "beautified compiled gentoo". If you get the full version you'll prolly never need to download anything!!

emerge is an interface to the package manager portage.

atleast they can allot this eyecandy making job to somebody else if they concider it too unimportant.
I think we need to stuff a beautiful looking Ubuntu theme thats original and GPLed on Mark Shuttleworth's face and shout: use this you b@stard !
As I said before, Anirudh can teach canonical something ;)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ No use... tried everything. The team at canonical is least interested in budging as far as interface is concerned. They blatantly said we don't wanna "waste" time on this!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom