Ubuntu Queries by MetalheadGautham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I need help in connecting to the internet in Ubuntu Feisty, so that I may do a few things here and there before downloading and installing hardy.

I used to use net comfortably in feisty, but some bsnl downtime ensured that I never recovered, though windows works perfectly.

Here are the details about my DNS Experimenting:

1. I Use BSNL H500

2. I have tried the 61.1.96.(69 and 71) dns servers, but they don't work.

3. I have tried 192.168.1.1 and 218.248.240.24 dns servers, same as above.

4. I have tried the OpenDNS 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 servers, still no luck. I confirmed here that DNS servers were propably not the problem.

Here is my current setup, with the steps I did:

System>>>Administration>>>Network>>>wired-connection>>>properties

configuration: Static IP Address
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address: 192.168.1.1

and I have settled down with the fail-proof OpenDNS servers for now.

==============================================

But I still am not able to connect to the net.
Please help.
I am sick of working in Windows XP Safe Mode.

PPPoE or Bridge?
if I remember right, all BSNL DataOne Modems given by BSNL, including my Huweii Type I modem are PPPoE.

But thats not the problem. The problem is that one fine day the net just stopped working on ubuntu, though it continues to work on windows. I hate having to reboot to check something up.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Question 1: Can you access the router interface through your web browser by entering its IP address?

Question 2: When you made the changes to the DNS did you change it from the router or from the network Manager in Feisty?

Question 3: Do you have separate Location Documents in network Manager created ? If so delete any saved connections already saved in it and reconfigure it.

Question 4: Remove the static IP from your computer and set it to DHCP just for laughs. I don't know how thats going to help but at this point you have nothing to lose.

Question 5: By any chance did you edit anything to blacklist any hardware or of the sort?

Question 1: Can you access the router interface through your web browser by entering its IP address?

Question 2: When you made the changes to the DNS did you change it from the router or from the network Manager in Feisty?

Question 3: Do you have separate Location Documents in network Manager created ? If so delete any saved connections already saved in it and reconfigure it.

Question 4: Remove the static IP from your computer and set it to DHCP just for laughs. I don't know how thats going to help but at this point you have nothing to lose.

Question 5: By any chance did you edit anything to blacklist any hardware or of the sort?
1. how do I do that ?
2. network manager

3. yes. I have only one such location doccument ATM, which has my current settings

4. I think I had tried it loooooooong back and it failed. That was an year ago, when I tried to get net in ubuntu for the first time and I was a linux n00b.

5. no

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Wish you good luck in installing hardy. However if you have lesser than 512 MB may I recommend getting XFCE instead of using gnome. Although Hardy seems more responsive it does take a bit of memory .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom