Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I ordered like a week before its release and got it a week earlier than today. Wait, that'd be um, Order on - 12th October and I got it on 9th in the Wave 2 shipments. 1 Kubuntu CD + 1 Ubuntu CD. ( Just one is sufficient though it had options of 2 and 10 :) )

So yeah its like 4 weeks for me and its totally free as mentioned.

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
QwertyManiac said:
Aw man, just download the DEBs from Ubuntu's software pool along with the required and listed dependencies and be done with it :?
it's not so easy.There are lots of dependencies for a single DEB and finding it is difficult.And since i have no internet connection ,it will be very difficult....It would take a lot of time and money.
If you could give me the list of files which are required ,then it will be easy...

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
^^from your mentioned thread..
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
libgstreamer-plugins-pulse0.10-0
libgstreamer0.10-0
libgstreamer0.10-0-dbg
libgstreamer0.10-dev
libgstreamer0.10-ruby1.8
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-doc
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-dbg
gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-doc
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
gstreamer0.10-doc
gstreamer0.10-alsa
gstreamer0.10-esd
gstreamer-tools
gxine
libxine-main1
libxine-extracodecs
ogle
ogle-gui

and their dependices

That means i have to download these and test in my system and have to go to cafe again to saisfy the dependices.And i think the same thing will be repeated again and agian :sad::sad::

And by the way what does this mean:confused::confused:
Q2: Their totally bugging out on me dude. Their saying that I need this dependecy and that dependency is saying I need this dependency. What do I do if they need each other to install itself?

A: Smart question. They way you go about doing this is that you have to install them through the terminal. Type in sudo dpkg -i /whatever/whatever to install manualy. then do the same for the other package. then go into the synaptic package manager and uninstall something. (Make sure that you don't uninstall anything inportant or something that will uninstall more things.) this will configure your two packages Then reinstall the package you uninstalled. Then your done.

Source
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=389149

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
He probably means dpkg --configure -a for fixing dependencies. His method is silly though.

Well, do you have ANY friend with a net access? Use APTonCD there and make a disc?

Just hold on a minute, let me boot up a Live CD and run the command and give you the list. If I got time I'll make a linked line as well.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
QwertyManiac said:
I ordered like a week before its release and got it a week earlier than today. Wait, that'd be um, Order on - 12th October and I got it on 9th in the Wave 2 shipments. 1 Kubuntu CD + 1 Ubuntu CD. ( Just one is sufficient though it had options of 2 and 10 :) )

So yeah its like 4 weeks for me and its totally free as mentioned.
Where do you stay in india? Would it be faster for me since i'm in Mumbai?

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
I ordered like a week before its release and got it a week earlier than today. Wait, that'd be um, Order on - 12th October and I got it on 9th in the Wave 2 shipments. 1 Kubuntu CD + 1 Ubuntu CD.

offtopic: Dude how u ordered for 1 Kubuntu CD + 1 Ubuntu CD ? have u given some special request ?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@saurabh kakkar - I ordered a CD from Ubuntu's ShipIt and a CD from Kubuntu's ShipIt on the same day.

@krazyfrog - I think Mumbai gets it first, perhaps even Wave 1 reaches there.

And now the log of apt:
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libfaad2-0 libxvidcore4 libmp4v2-0 libx264-54 libfaac0
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
flashplugin-nonfree gcc-3.3-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
java-common libfaac0 libfaad2-0 liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libstdc++5 libx264-54
libxvidcore4 odbcinst1debian1 sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
unixodbc unrar
Suggested packages:
konqueror-nsplugins msttcorefonts ttf-xfree86-nonfree xfs equivs
binfmt-support sun-java6-fonts libmyodbc odbc-postgresql libct1

Recommended packages:
gsfonts-x11 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg libdvdread3
The following NEW packages will be installed:
flashplugin-nonfree gcc-3.3-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
java-common libfaac0 libfaad2-0 liblame0 libmp4v2-0 libstdc++5 libx264-54
libxvidcore4 odbcinst1debian1 sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin
ubuntu-restricted-extras unixodbc unrar
0 upgraded, 18 newly installed, 0 to remove and 24 not upgraded.
Need to get 34.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 99.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
Note that Java, though included in Ubuntu-Restricted-Extras, isn't necessary for codecs. :)

blackleopard92

In the zone
there is one way which is use to distribute packages.

find a person who has internet connection, download all the packages and then use the apt on CD software to create a iso image.
burn this ISO image, put it in your CD ROM drive, goto the package manager settings, and select the "From CD" option.
this will add the packages on CD repo to the list of repos which apt wil search.
now simply install packages through apt-get. it will download packages from CD.
Apt On CD is avalible in add/remove programs too.

if u guys want, I will write a detailed procedure when i boot into linux.

F

FilledVoid

I am using a dial up and I took my CPU to the local internet cafe walla. If you are an AMD64 install. I think I might have more than enough stuff which I can write on an AptOnCd and send it to you. Note that the packages vary for 586 install and AMD64.

PS. Once you download the packages you need I can't see any reason for a very high bandwidth internet connection. I use Dial up and I seem to be fine.

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
Thanks quertymaniac for giving the list.I will go to cafe and will download...
Will tell u later whether it works or not...
By the way where i can get all those packages in the list or i have to google each one...
find a person who has internet connection, download all the packages and then use the apt on CD software to create a iso image.
Everyone is suggesting the same.I have several doubts:confused::confused:
Whether i have to run live CD or have to install it on the connected computer...
What's the RAM required if i want to do these in live CD..
Whether the hardware spec should be same or not...
I am using a dial up and I took my CPU to the local internet cafe walla. If you are an AMD64 install. I think I might have more than enough stuff which I can write on an AptOnCd and send it to you. Note that the packages vary for 586 install and AMD64.
I have Intel Pentium 4 :sad:
By the way did you mean that you took your cabinate to the cafe...
Did he allowed it??

Last edited:
F

FilledVoid

I have Intel Pentium 4
By the way did you mean that you took your cabinate to the cafe...
Did he allowed it??

Typing the command uname -m tells you what install you have. Yes I took my whole cabinet to the Internet cafe. Of course he does charge by the MB as well. Each time UBuntu downloads somethign it tells you how much it needs to download and how much it gets off the DVD/cd . You are better off taking the CPU with you. Once you got it installed install AptOnCD and you have a copy of everythig you got. Then you need not download anythign more for it.

There are some huge download stuff which you do NOT want to do on Dial up. Java, Flash and Wine. If Im correct each of these takes upto or above 30 MB.

Everyone is suggesting the same.I have several doubts
Whether i have to run live CD or have to install it on the connected computer...
What's the RAM required if i want to do these in live CD..
Whether the hardware spec should be same or not...

I think the live cd should work easily if you have 512 MB . But you might want to check this with someone else. Im pretty sure the network configuration is setup automatically. I was able to connect dialup with no problems using the live cd.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
exx_2000 said:
There are some huge download stuff which you do NOT want to do on Dial up. Java, Flash and Wine. If Im correct each of these takes upto or above 30 MB.

Flash and Wine are small < 10 Megs.
Flash is even smaller i believe.Wine comes ~10Megs.
Jave(JRE) is what takes a lot of Megs.
AFAIK JDK is ~50-60Megs.So JRE must be ~30 Megs.

@adi
You could take the whole cabinet,
but its easier if u take a live cd and install all the apps on the live cd itself,
copy the packages from /var/apt/cache and install back on ur machine.

Regards,
ray

F

FilledVoid

Flash and Wine are small < 10 Megs.
Flash is even smaller i believe.Wine comes ~10Megs.
Jave(JRE) is what takes a lot of Megs.
AFAIK JDK is ~50-60Megs.So JRE must be ~30 Megs.

Might be a install type thing I guess. But I do recall downloading ALOT of stuff for all of the mentioned. Flash definitely wasnt small. Please note that I installed the nonfree-flash thingie.

Also Stay far away from Automatix. If it goes wrong it goes really bad, however I have heard of some swearing by it. Further more if you want to play games on your box you can check into WIne and Cedga. You can compile Cedega for free or you need to subscribe to at least three months of a magazine to get it. Check if your game is supported before you try Wine or Cedega.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Wth!!.
I remember downloading a ~10Megs package of wine for zenwalk.
What else does ubuntu download as dependencies for wine other than the wine package?

Regards,
ray

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
My "sudo apt-get install wine" had to download binfmt-support file too which was around 15~ MB I think. (Binary format support files).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom