Status
Not open for further replies.

adi007

Youngling
I got shipped Ubuntu cd's yesterday.I installed it.As all are aware there is a lack of multimedia support in Ubuntu.Now i want to make Ubuntu full multimedia ready.

The main problem is

I DONT HAVE AN INTERNET CONNECTION
I just recently downloaded some packs from the internet cafe.But it had dependices and i am unable to install it.
I tried all the linux softwares provided in the DIGIT.But in vain.All of them had dependices of one or the other package.
I tried googling but all the procedures required active internet connection for Ubuntu

So,please help me.Just give me the links of the packages that i should bring from internet cafe.
I could go to internet cafe and download packages.But it must be sure that the packages don't have any dependices

Apart from Ubuntu,i have opensuse 10.2,could any one suggest the solution for this also

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Here's an idea that might work.
Take the Ubuntu live cd to a net-cafe and boot from it.
Install all required packages in it.
The packages will be /var/apt/cache if i remember correctly.
Copy them into a USB drive and install back @ ur home.

Regards,
ray

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
^^Not possible.I have to configure the internet settings then and defenitely cafe owner will not allow this.And more over majority of the systems in cafe are having 128 mb ram,So the live cd will work very very slow....And under this condition browsing and downloading is not possible.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Surely go for OpenSuSE. It is having most of the Multimedia codecs installed.
And as it is RPM based, there is very less problem of dependencies.

Only thing is that, u have to keep DVD with u or copy it on ur HDD.
I've used OpenSUSE when I was not having internet connection @ home. :)

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
^^ didn't understand??:confused::confused:
Open suse has codec only for mp3.But not for DVD,VCD.DIVX,WMA....and rpm files are difficult to install in Ubuntu.You have to convert them to .deb and there is very less chance that it will work.
Has Ubuntu shipped with rpm converter...:confused::confused:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
The RPM Convertor is called Alien.
But it is not advisable to use it as sometimes packages are modified to suit the distro.
I'd suggest u try for Linux Mint.
Its ubuntu+codecs and drivers installed.
So u shudnt find any problems.

Regards,
ray

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
^^I tried linux mint and it's good.But i want to use ubuntu now and enable it to become multimedia ready.I just wonder what if the digit gives all the packages required to enable multimedia in Ubuntu or even better customised multimedia ready Ubuntu

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
shirish_nagar said:
I mean, Install OpenSUSE instead of Ubuntu !
i have both of them installed.
Open suse full installed --8GB(took 3 hrs to install) but even then only support for mp3 :sad:
Ubuntu --2GB

nothing i can do to make this ubuntu multimedia ready without internet connection ???? :sad::sad::sad:

Regarding Ubuntu Ultimate, i have to download it...:(:( ..That too 700+ MB from outside.Defenitely not possible:sad:

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Hmm,Well then u'd better ask someone here who uses Ubuntu(Must be using same version) to install all the codecs and then upload the file for you.
u can then download it and install the codecs.
Or i remember synaptic having an option to generate download links of selected packages,(Dont remember well,kinda used ubuntu long back)
In that case u can ask someone for the list and download the packages urself.

Alternatively,if the version of mint is same as the ubuntu version u are using u can use the cd to install the packages(If the mint cd is an alternative cd) as basically mint uses Ubuntu core.

Regards,
ray

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
dude... it's more than 3 GB.
It is not available in CD. U have to download DVD. BTW, where is this hassan ??

OP
A

adi007

Youngling
The linux mint version that i have is old when compared to Ubuntu
and
i remember synaptic having an option to generate download links of selected packages,(Dont remember well,kinda used ubuntu long back)
In that case u can ask someone for the list and download the packages urself.
^^ i would be happy if anyone make the list....:):):)

shirish_nagar said:
dude... it's more than 3 GB.
It is not available in CD. U have to download DVD. BTW, where is this hassan ??
It is available in CD.link here
*ubuntusoftware.info/Ubuntu_Ultimate_CD/

Hassan is in Karnataka near mysore..

Last edited:
OP
A

adi007

Youngling
private message sent..

I heard that there are some scripts called AUTOMATIX which makes the distro multimedia ready ??
Is there a offline version of it..?:confused:

have to go now..
Will be back at 1PM

Last edited:

ray|raven

Think Zen.
There are scripts called Automatix and EasyUbuntu that help you to install packages to make the distro ready for use.
But they only do the work for u by selecting the packages to be installed.
You need a working internet connection for those.
Besides they are known to break installs,
so better stay away from them.

Regards,
ray

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Aw man, just download the DEBs from Ubuntu's software pool along with the required and listed dependencies and be done with it :?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
How long does it take for the Ubuntu cd to get shipped here? The site says it can take upto 10 weeks. Does it really take that long? Also is it totally free. I want to get a disc too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom