Ubuntu on Ms virtual pc????

Status
Not open for further replies.

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi mates...
Today i donwload ubuntu and wanna try once, but coz am new to linux don wanna to mess my pc ...
so for precaution i wanna install it on virtual pc....
i tried to install on virtual pc with default mode and without graphic mode
while installing without graphic some set up runs
and a new window came up with desktop (live cd)
but when i try to click on install icon in virtual pc my cusror was not recognized by virtual pc.... :(
i was not able to click on any icon or tab....
don know y mouse was not captured by virtual pc...
can any one help me plz..............
and i need help on dual boot for xp and ubuntu ,my xp is installed on D drive and c has some docs only....
my all partion are NTFS...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
first of all chuck virtual pc, thats the worst software in the category!!! download vmware server and install ubuntu in that. i'm using ubuntu studio on vmware (older version 5.5) and it works perfectly! after installation you'll need to install the mouse and gfx drivers using the vmware tools option to improve performance.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
yes i agree. virtual box is easier to use than vmware. here's a complete step by step guide to installing ubuntu (studio) in windows on virtual box.

*www.simplehelp.net/2007/05/13/how-to-install-ubuntu-studio-in-windows-using-virtualbox-a-complete-walkthrough/

however do keep in mind that running another OS on a moderately powerful system won't be blazingly fast. plus all the eyecandy (beryl/compiz) won't work on any virtualisation software.

Last edited:
OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks IRDA :)
actualy its a bug in ubuntu 7.04 (may b some kernel) that's y MVC 2007 is not able to catch mouse....
i am downloading vmare 6 but acroding that blog vmware too not catch mouse :(
let see .... :)

Except, sadly for the ones being emulated. Both VMWare and VirtualPC emulate a PS/2 style mouse, and are not getting found by the kernel. Remember, it doesn’t matter what type of mouse you have hooked up to the host box (I have two mice, a Logitech MediaPlay and Microsoft Travel mouse, both USB). It only matters what the virtual machine is telling the guest OS (Ubuntu), which is PS/2 style mouse.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey stop! and try virtual box first, then.... coz i kno vmware is a huge download. btw, virtual pc is good for MS OSes only from my experience. for everything else use vmware or virtual box.

ps: call me IRD, i'm not an adaptor dude!! :D

OP
almighty

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
infra_red_dude said:
ps: call me IRD, i'm not an adaptor dude!! :D

LOL
okok stoped... downloading virtual box now :)
but yaar can u plz tell me what are the precautions which i sud take while installing on REAL;) hdd ...
i heard lot that while formating ppl formats whole hdd and loose everything
yaar mera to backup v nahi hai
:(
which option should i choose when it ask for chosing partion... see my xp is on D drive and c is blank ( can say ) wanna install on c...
AFAIK i ve to choose manulay....
but wat after that????????????????????????????????????
Guide me IRD (dekha ctrl kar liya ab IRDA nahi bola :D)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
read these guides first:
*news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-Ubuntu-7-04-Windows-User-P-O-V-52973.shtml

*help.ubuntu.com/7.04/installation-guide/i386/pr01.html

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
It's a bug in ubuntu 7.04.I installed granular linux and mandriva no problem bur ubuntu just won't recognize my mouse and keyboard.

src2206

In the zone
in real hdd make an unformatted partition, and choose to in install ubuntu there.But if you do not want to disturb Windows MBR just install the GRUB (using Advanced option) in either floppy or USB drive, provided your MB supports booting from FDD or USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom