Ubuntu Installation Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

adit_sen

In the zone
Hi,

I've been trying for the last couple of days to install ubuntu (dapper 6.0.6.1), but I'm getting stuck. The live cd takes really long to boot up, and once it does, I choose install, but it doesnt seem to insatall. The CD drive keeps spinning and reading, there is definitely some HDD activity, but even after leaving it for more than an hour nothing happens!

I've even tried redownloading the ISO and burning it on a new CD, but the same problem presists.

Please Help...

cheers..
aditya

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Are you trying to install from a Live CD??
AFAIK, you can only run Live CDs and caannot install until it is a Live+Install CD. Ubuntu does not provide Live&Install CDs.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Adit Sen, Are other bootable CDs of Linux distros or Windows O.S working fine
while booting using the CD drive? Is it a problem only with Ubuntu Dapper (6.06.1)?
Also the new version of Ubuntu you have downloaded may have bugs in it.
So better wait for some more months before the product is fully tested.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
why dont u create a temperary fat32 partition, save a iso of the disk and then install using 'askmethod'

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
@desmond david - ubuntu's install & live cd are the one and same thing

@jGuru - haven't tried other distro's. cd drive works fine otherwise.

@RollerCoaster - can you provide a little more specifics on how to go about the askmethod?

Pathik

Google Bot
@adit ubuntu has diff install and live cds.....
@desmond he s getting the option to install that means he is using a install cd.

Venom

Journeyman
If its a DVD-RW you may have install issues but it wont hang, it will return an error instead!

praka123

left this forum longback
try this options as it works in debian etch(testing):
while booting with CD:

Code:
install libata.atapi_enabled=1
also read my link
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33600

OP
adit_sen

adit_sen

In the zone
alrightey then...prolem solved!
During bootup, I chose install in safe graphics mode and it worked like a charm. Thanks for everyone's help.

Cheers

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Do you have a separate graphics card? If yes, which one? Just asking so I would know of potential problems if needed in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom