Ubuntu Booting Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
I had windows XP installed, i then installed Vista.... after that i installed Ubuntu 7.10... on a 19gb partition (/dev/sda7) with 1 gb swap (/dev/sda8).

after i restarted the PC, i m still getting the same boot option as i got before installing UBUNTU....

1)Previous VErsion of Windows
2)Microsoft Windows Vista

So i m not able to boot into Ubuntu in anyway... during installation, i did not import any User account from Vista wen it asked me to and installer was not able to download any updates, after that installation went fine... it then asked whether to continue using LIVE CD or Reboot and boot into Ubuntu.... i chose the latter but after rebooting... i still got the above said options...

My PC:
E4600 C2D 2.4 GHz
Intel DG33BU Mobo
2x1GB Transcend RAM Modules @ 667MHz
XFX 8600 GT
Seagate Sata 2 320GB <--- installed all OS in this one
Seagate 160GB PATA
Benq DW 1640 DVD Writer
Pinnacle TV Tuner

and Vista is still in trial period.... borrowed the CD from a frnd

what to do now??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
im pretty sure u have entered the wrong or havent changed the hdd partition from the advanced menu while installing

either that or u have decided not to install grubloader ... i cant seem to find a guide but will find it and let u know ....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Maybe you installed grub on root partition instead of mbr. Get hold of super grub cd or some such easy recovery tool and repair your grub, install it on MBR.
You can even do it by using ubuntu CD - *ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
boot with the live cd
add a entry for ubuntu GRUB's menu.lst if installed else install grub first, if you are not sure how to do this, post the output of
Code:
sudo fdisk -l

OP
S

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
ok i followed the link given, i followed the steps... grub did come up, but after i chose vista bootloader, vista bootloader came up.. den i selected Previous Version of Windows and the PC restarted and i happened again and again

so i restored the mbr usng fixmbr and then used fixboot command.. now i boot diretly into XP... then i reformatted the VIst partition.... now should i try the above link first and then install vista or shud i install vista first and then follow the link??

OP
S

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
i have formatted my vista.... now i want just Ubuntu and XP... but stil wen i perform the grub restoratioon, it stil recognizes the Vista Bootloader... so i cant boot in2 windows... wat to do??

praka123

left this forum longback
need to know ur hdd's info.post the o/p from a livecd the o/p of "sudo fdisk -l" as @gary said.
Grub,when completely removed needs to be set manually :)

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
also Grub is windows aware, so it will automatically add entry to windows, whereas windows remove all linux entries upon installation. so windows should always be installed first & then install any linux distro you wish

Rahim

Married!
Install XP followed by Vista and then Ubuntu.
Just make sure Grub is installed in Windows MBR in the first hard disk and in the first partition (hd0,0) from the Advanced menu in the final step(bottom right-side) ,when you install Ubuntu. It will detect both your XP & Vista and make an entry to boot into Ubuntu as well.
Best of Luck :)

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
install xp first; then vista now install easybcd in vista and setup ur boot manager

now when installing ubuntu dont give hd0,0 but give the no. of the partition ur installing ubuntu to ....

now go back into vista; open easybcd add ubuntu by giving the location as the hdd u have installed ubuntu to ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom