Ubuntu.... apt-get packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
how to ???
is there some way to backup the install packs got thru apt-get

the thing is that if i have to shift my os and reinstall ubuntu .. and i dont want to download the pack by apt get thru internet again ... apt get requires net conn right ...

and can i get the packs(like wine, etc which i got using apt get) in .tar or .deb formats

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Use AptOnCD

Code:
sudo apt-get install aptoncd

System > Administration > AptOnCD

This can be used to create ISO files of all apt packages downloaded. You can then burn that ISO to a CD or just carry it around for mounting in a USB drive and use it as a source to install the packages again (CD Repository).

contactpraven2001

In the matrix of linux
thx buddy but it is not including those packs which i download through add and remove panel can you help me how i can include those also .......

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It will add all the software that are present in the cache. It maybe that your old softwares have been removed from the cache. So, it's not adding them.
Apt-On-CD is not a big voodoo, it's just a script that creates a iso out of your /var/cache/apt folder. Only thing is that it gives a nice, automated GUI interface to select what you want and just create an iso. And optionally burn it to a cd/dvd.

azzu

AJJU
i just downloaded alien but how can i convert RPM to .deb from where
i cant see Alien on apps HELP

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Here you go.
*linux.die.net/man/1/alien
Although personally i discourage the use of alien.
Most deb's and rpm's are built with changes in the source to accomodate the structure of the distro they are built for and might not work well with other distro's.

Regards,
ray

mehulved

azzu said:
i just downloaded alien but how can i convert RPM to .deb from where
i cant see Alien on apps HELP
What package is it that is requiring you to use alien?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
azzu - You can't cause you didn't read the manual. Meh. Try doing somethings on your own too. What's worse is, no one here actually said a method and yet you say "I still can't". Clear indication of not trying. :?

I'd suggest you to open Terminal via Accessories and enter the below first:

Code:
man alien

And just for this once, the thing you should run in Terminal is:

Code:
alien --to-deb filename.rpm

ray|raven

Think Zen.
@Qwerty
Dude,leave it.
You cant keep on spoon feeding folks round here.
They should learn to do some work themselves.
As the old proverb goes
We can only take the horse to the water.

@Azzu
The Manual i posted contained examples on how to convert to all different formats and u say i cant.Well,no one can help in that case.

Regards,
ray

OP
phuchungbhutia

phuchungbhutia

Om Ma Ni Pä Me Hum
thanks for all the help ...
it makes me think that there are so many apt get packs ....
like apt on cd
sudo apt-get install aptoncd

likewise there may be many u know please can u specify with details and descriptions wat all u think are helpful for ubuntu users ... please

Rahim

Married!
CAn i use the iso CD created by APTonCD in Feisty with Gutsy? Or i have to download every thing like DeVeDe, VLC, MAnDVD,etc. well you got the idea.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
All the deb`s are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.Copy it to a cd from there... and you can install it later using dpkg -i *.deb.

mehulved

vignesh said:
All the deb`s are stored in /var/cache/apt/archives.Copy it to a cd from there... and you can install it later using dpkg -i *.deb.
Why to do that when apt-on-cd automates it and makes it faster and fully GUI oriented.

rahimveron said:
CAn i use the iso CD created by APTonCD in Feisty with Gutsy? Or i have to download every thing like DeVeDe, VLC, MAnDVD,etc. well you got the idea.
No, because you have different packages for gutsy and feisty. You can't use feisty's softwares for gutsy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom