ubuntu 10.10 not booting up.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
here is the screen shot of the screen during boot(sorry for th low quality).holding shift key won't work.
btw where should i find the menu.lst file to add windows 7 entry in to it for dual boot.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
No no wait, grub2 doesn't have menu.lst, it's depriciated.

From what you have posted avobe for fdisk -l screenshot it looks like /boot doesn't have bootable flag, that could also be a problem.

So boot from Live CD. Go to Terminal. Run

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

and it'll ask for command, press "a" and it'll ask for partition number, so provide the partition number for /boot (which in your case I guess is /dev/sda9 so press 9), and then press "w", and reboot and post the result.

I wish this solves your problem.

Once you get your ubuntu back just boot into it and run sudo update-grub2 and it'll automatically add windows to the list.

OP
sukesh1090

sukesh1090

Adam young
i tried what you told but when i restart i will get the same screen as before.here is the screenshot what i entered in terminal,

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Well, I've no idea now...

You can try this Boot Problems Open Source Tools | Super Grub Disk, Super Grub2 Disk and Rescatux

Once I used it to fix mine.

Give it a try.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
No idea about USB Image, I downloaded CD Image, it restored Ubuntu. And after booting into ubuntu I ran sudo update-grub2 and it updated grub with Windows. So basically I got both.

Top Bottom