u can find an alien (SETI@HOME PROJECT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkiguy_me

Broken In
guys i was searching on google and suddenly i found seti@home project which says search for extra terristrial at your home. they say that internet users can help to find aliens. i dont know how but its true.
i dont know how many of u know abt this.
and how many have actually tried out this.
but u can download the 768 KB file at:
*setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/download.html
The SETI@home program is a special kind of screensaver. Like other screensavers it starts up when you leave your computer unattended, and it shuts down as soon as you return to work. What it does in the interim is unique. While you are getting coffee, or having lunch or sleeping, your computer will be helping the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence by analyzing data specially captured by the world's largest radio telescope.

here a screenshot of the process going on at my computer:
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/siddharthsikka/ET.jpg

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Sure ... i already completed 280 work units..... here is my 250 work unit completion certificate...

*img93.exs.cx/img93/7306/seti.jpg

OP
F

funkiguy_me

Broken In
how much time didi it take to do that..
and from where did u got the certificate..
from the website...
and wat is meant by completing 250 units, it is showing 0 for me and lastly did u find any ET.

<<<<<<<<<<DID U GET THE CERTIFICATE YESTERDAY>>>>>>>>>>>

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Well... you can search for my statistics from that page itself... i joined it almost 2 and a half years back...

You get certificates delivered into your accounts when you complete 100, 250 , 500 workunits....

ps: i got the certificate a week back... but i downloaded it today... so its showing the current date in US... that is one day late...

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
it all appears to be fake to me... why do such biggies need the power of our relatively smamler systems that too as a part time worker thru internet connection.. absurd..

~Romil

Broken In
@senthilrek

It's good that U don't belive in Hollywood type aliens, but U gotta believe in Extraterrestrial Life forms as U believe that there is life on our planet.

Well different opinions and views are there, but SETI being a old concept in "Distributed Computing" has catched the most fire.

@GNUrag and others

You guys can join The Indians @ SETI group here:

*setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_162310.html

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
i knew abt this but was lazy and never registered....it is a cool project though....and this distributed computing is a cost effective method...

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
dat's a cool project!!

I am using it too.... well it has completed some 52 units at a time of 373 hrs and 12 mins ;). actually [previously i was using it inthe screen saver mode :p but now it runs in realtime ;)

dat's a nice one gnurag! mine another 200 left :p

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
does the the command line version work in linux also they got other stuff listed there . what abt linux with athlon , which one in the page should i download ???

*setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/unix.html

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
klinux said:
does the the command line version work in linux also they got other stuff listed there .
Yes... in fact i have set that seti@home client to work in daemon mode... no screensaver at all... it just works, and fetches data when it requires.. i have to see seti@home webpage to know my statistics... ha ha ha ....

klinux said:
what abt linux with athlon , which one in the page should i download ???
I think i686-pc-linux-gnu client whould be the one for Athlon chips.... AMD does support x86 architecture...
btw: here are my statistics if anyone is interested .... my certificate is also there...

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
thanks just downloaded it . will try the linux version too someday . man u do so much for gnu/linux and still do the seti stuff . really unbelievable . does linux make one work more efficiently ?? . y didnt u ask for a cert with ur real name ??? or have u registered urself as gnurag in real life ?? ;)

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
Here is my stats of seti@home

*setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=jeba@cooljeba.com&cmd=user_stats_new

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom