Padawan
there are two folders in my c:

C:\$WINDOWS.~BT
there are subfolders like..
Program Files, ProgramData, Sources, Users, Windows and a file called $WimDesc
this folder is abt 350 mb.
and

C:\$WINDOWS.~LS
in this folder there is a file called install.wim which is a huge 2.24 gb...after primary research i have found that this is a vista installer file. i have installed vista long back and still using it. (i use xp to get on to the internet and xp is installed on C:).

i believe these are folders created by vista setup but i just want to be sure before i delete these.

P.s. there is a command in dos wherein u can create a log of the folder tree, but im not able to remember it. if the above is not enough and/or u remember the command pls let me know so that i can run that and post that complete folder tree log.

oh yes one more thing..
last week i fiddled with the registry as my comp was affected by some virus in the name of sujin.com.np or something like that...
what has now happened that whenever i start xp, i am given the dialog box to give username and password.
earlier it directly used to login into adminstrator. pls help me get it back.

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
The huge folders - delete them. You are right about them being created by windows setup.

the command is "tree" without quotes.
"tree /?" for more details.

Remove the virus with NOD32.

To fix it, Start->control panel->user accounts->Change the way users log on and off->tick both boxes. Apply options. Restart and it would logon into administrator automatically.

manishsinghtoo

Right off the assembly line
These are not dangerous folders.
These are the folders created by Vista when you try to update XP to Vista. Son no need to worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom