Two querries- Disabling storage devices & monitoring user logon/logoff timings

hansraj

In the zone
Hello friends,
I am trying to find a method where in I can use only specific pendrive/storage devices on my office pcs. While doing so, the account has to be an administrator account as well because those specific pendrive/storage devices have to be formatted routinely. As a limited or standard user people wont be able to do that. Second issue is; I want to keep a log of the timings at which the users log on and log off.
Any help shall be greatly appreciated. Looking forward!!
I did some programming in C# using MS visual studio 08. So suggestions regarding codes is fine too.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
first query :
you can use desktop central to manage USB devices
Remote Windows Desktop Management and Desktop Administration Software - ManageEngine Desktop Central

second query :
create batch files logon.bat and logoff.bat
logon.bat :
Code:
echo Logon : %USERNAME% at %DATE% %TIME% >> C:\x.log
logoff.bat :
Code:
echo Logoff : %USERNAME% at %DATE% %TIME% >> C:\x.log

goto Run->gpedit.msc->User Configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts
and add the scripts.

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
first query :
second query :
create batch files logon.bat and logoff.bat
logon.bat :
Code:
echo Logon : %USERNAME% at %DATE% %TIME% >> C:\x.log
logoff.bat :
Code:
echo Logoff : %USERNAME% at %DATE% %TIME% >> C:\x.log

goto Run->gpedit.msc->User Configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts
and add the scripts.
Thanks a ton... this part is done and achieved.

first query :
you can use desktop central to manage USB devices
Remote Windows Desktop Management and Desktop Administration Software - ManageEngine Desktop Central.

I downloaded it but I am unable to complete the disabling of selective USB storage devices in that. If you are using it, can you share how to do that.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
nah, i have never used it. google results show few good ones none of which i am satisfied with. see for yourself : allow specific usb devices - Google Search

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
Thanks Nims. Found a software by following the method as suggested by you. USB Block. Some times googling with exactly key words is so important that you just cant succeed otherwise. I tried earlier but with other key words ;)

Anyways ... thank you once again.

Top Bottom