Two OS on a single pc.....how i can install

Status
Not open for further replies.

priya_2006

Right off the assembly line
hello every one,

i have a pc PENTIUM D 2.8 512mb RAM 80 GB sata HDD to which i have devided in four parts C D E F i have WINXP SP@ installed a my system and now i want to use linux also at the same PC how i can install LINUX safely that my PC prompts me on startup to select theOSto run i have CD of the LINUX please help me
thank you all

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
There is thread on Sabayon Linux here... try that. It seems its easier to install.

U can try out Virtual Machines if u don't wanna take a risk :D
Like Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or [SIZE=-1]Parallels Workstation or even the free 19MB [/SIZE]Virtual PC 2004 SP1

Last edited:

prasad_den

Padawan
I don't think that installing linux with preexisting WinXP is a problem..!! Just follow the instructions it gives.. be careful about the partition selections parts..!!

And BTW welcome to the forum..

shantanu

Technomancer
yeah there will be no probs in that just run the installation, but hey do you knwo how to install LINUX ... just asking for a possiblity :D:D

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Its nice to have one more open source user.

Which flavour of linux do u have with u? Mostly u can do a straight install of linux. Linux uses its own boot loaders like 'grub' or 'lilo'[usually grub]. There is no problem, u get choice of booting into windows on the main screen of grub. But if u wanna re-install windows after linux installation, grub boot loader is replaced with the dos one of windows. So ull either have to re-install linux or just repair grub using the same linux CD.

Anytime u can remove linux by formatting that partition from XP. It will not be shown in XP as it will be in some other file structures like ext2 or 3. U can use softwares like partition magic from powerquest of any good partitioning s/w to do it, and convert it back to NTFS ot FAT32.

and yeah...WELCOME TO THINKDIGIT FORUMS:D:D

Last edited:

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
just follow the installation carefully try to use the live cd if u can to get things easy at its best

shantanu

Technomancer
hey buddies why two guys are saying WELCOME , i think its first time i am seeing a anyone welcome anyone... :D:D ohhh now i understand WHY ? :D:D good

OP
P

priya_2006

Right off the assembly line
hey guys ,
it't not abt just welcome to anyone but i am verry sorry two say that no one given me apropriate answer i was asking that can i run the LINUX installation in windows i mean when i will start my PC it will open with windows and then i will insert LINUX cd in CdROM and then it will start installing linux ok
SO what i asked is that is their any possibillity of any kinds of trouble using windows and linux both at a single sysytem i mean either at once .
any reply
plss tell me detailed how to install or provide me some WEB LINKS where i can get these informations
U KNOW YAR I AM NOT A BIG COMPUTER EXPERT BUT I AM TRYING TO BE ON E so do't bother me twith technical words ok
see u all

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If you want to run linux withing windows try some virtualisation options, like koolbluez said. I have used vmware and it is quite good enough for me.
Another options is cygwin. cygwin run linux apps on top of windows. You can't run a linux distro on top of windows without virtualisation. If you want to run a full linux distro without virtualisation then you have to dual boot.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
From the little I heard of Linux.. ur biggest problem when using Windows in combo with Linux is that u might not c ur Windows drive in Linux.

I'ld again insist on u using a Virtual Machine. Virtual PC lets you create separate virtual machines on your Windows desktop, each of which virtualizes the hardware of a complete physical computer. Use virtual machines to run operating systems such as MS-DOS, Windows, OS/2 & Linux, of course. You can run multiple operating systems at once on a single physical computer and switch between them as easily as switching applications - instantly, with a mouse click. Virtual PC is perfect for any scenario in which you need to support multiple operating systems, whether you use it for tech support, legacy application support, training, or just for consolidating physical computers. Virtual PC 2004 SP1 is the free VirtualMachine maker/user ~18MB software. A definite recommend from me.

See Sabayon Linux thread too for easier installation. There r many linuxes & the easiest to install seems to b Sabayon Linux.

U can also try live cds/dvds (cds/dvds which run respective operating systems from themselves without installing anything on the computer. Gives u a feel & operation of the OS u need)

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Using a virtual machine to learn linux is better. You can download VMWare player & one of the many available Linux Appliences for VMWare

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
koolbluez said:
From the little I heard of Linux.. ur biggest problem when using Windows in combo with Linux is that u might not c ur Windows drive in Linux.
Who told you that? Linux cannot only see but also read and write to windows partitions. It's rather windows which is useless here, windows cannot even understand a linux partition. It shows it as unknown partition.

mediator

Technomancer
*www.cmsproducer.com/files/ubuntu-linux-vmware-windows.gif

Observe carefully if u can......Is this wat u want? First u have to install Vmware then only u'll be able to insert ur linux cd and start linux!

priya_2006 said:
so do't bother me twith technical words ok
see u all
And stop being arrogant!

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
tech_your_future said:
Who told you that? Linux cannot only see but also read and write to windows partitions. It's rather windows which is useless here, windows cannot even understand a linux partition. It shows it as unknown partition.
Oops... then that's it... this way or that way.. something was gonna b missing... heard this quite sometime back.. so forgot...:D didn't try out Linux either, b'cause of it :(
Also 'cause (as with the other regular Indian users) I'm so used to flirt with Windows, that I'm not able to linemaar Linux or it's sisters... a hardcore Windows user now.

Once this thread come to a conclusion... I'm gonna get some inspiration from Priya here & try out Virtual Machining Linux.. learn, get accustomed & then... go green :D
Didn't have time & space (a meagre 40GB drive, a chocked portable 40GB USB drive & an uptodabrim 1GB USB Stick :D)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom