TUTORIAL: Enable HIBERNATE Button in Shutdown Dialog Box !

Status
Not open for further replies.

james9272

Right off the assembly line
hi gupta this is tj
i got the same problem but i cant save it in its original file extension ..
so plz tell me in which path i have to save.....................

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
This happens bcoz of Windows File Protection service, which doesnt allow system files to be replaced/changed while running windows!

But U can use replacer or other s/w for this task.

Read following thread:

List of Some Useful System Utilities!

daemon

Broken In
@Vishal Gupta : Mindblowing skin Man!!!!!! , can you tell me that where to get
this theme . Thankz!!!!

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
sorry buddy! I had that one when I posted the tut but now I hv some other background in my shutdown dialog box :)

Afair, I got this BITMAP from a WindowBlinds skin. But can't remember the nme :(

Currently my shutdown box looks like this:

*img136.imageshack.us/img136/9426/newpictureyn5.jpg

ashmics

Right off the assembly line
hi vishal,i am very new to all this i have donw as it was given but when i am trying to close the reshacker,it is showing a message "do u want to modify the changes".i am clicking it ok then a save dialouge box is opened asking me to save the file.so i just wanted to know by what name and extension i should store that file in 1033.because i have tried a lot but of no use.please help

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Save it with the same name msgina.dll
But u hv to save the file in some other location bcoz windows will not let u overwrite the existing msgina.dll file in System32 folder.

After that u can use Replacer s/w to replace the existing msgina.dll file with ur hacked one.

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
Re: 4 options on menu

@Vishal

I saw on the latest Sony Vaio (my friend's dad laptop) .. that there are infact 4 options there. I couldnt bcoz at that time it wasnt possible otherwise i could hav taken the screen shot or something.
then I forgot it ..
now today after reading this topic .. I want to use that option it self...
and on the MSFN link (thans to it_wazznt_me) its already posted that..
You can also install MS Hotfix KB875506 and add a new registry setting
I cant find that hotfix on the microsoft site?

*img242.imageshack.us/img242/8224/hibernatenr6.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I read it when it_wazznt_me posted that thread link. But didnt test it.

But after ur post, I read the whole topic again and the d/l link is also posted there. :)

For u I hv uploaded the English version of the HOTFIX here. ;)

After installing the Hotfix, just run the attached Registry file and u'll get what u want. :D

PS: I checked the msgina.dll file again after installing this hotfix, but found nothing special in it. Seems that they just patched the file's internal code. :(

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Thnx vishal..I too actually searched for the hotfix and couldnt find it and installed all the hotfixes available from the M$ site and then thought "Let me forget coz i had tried ur trick and let me not take another chance" but i think this way its easy

Me 2 didnt read the link in the msfn forum but the link for the hotfix given there is
ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/W2J/Hotfix_HB_XP_060420.zip

This zip-file contains several languages.

BUt u shud get this hotfix when u click on windows update:confused: but that doesnt happen:eek:

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
@Vishal.......Bro...ur first post on this tute didnt work on mah XP! It neither showed the hibernate nor crashed Xp as posted by some members. Nothing happened!

Neways the Hotfix worked! In mah computing of more tha 8 yrs now.....this the first time I'm using hibernate thing and find it absolutely great. Time Saving!
Thanx man!

N

--Neo--

Hey, do you know that most Dell Inspiron laptops (like mine) already have Hibernate button enabled in the Shutdown dialog box?

rollcage

AMD user for 9 yrs!!
@mediator

hmm thats really strange .. Are you joking or what !! :p
you never tried Hibernate before.. ever...

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Vishal I was fascinated by ur's Hibernate button's trick...

I suceeded to change it in my first attempt(i also changed the bitmap 20140 & 20142)
and it worked..

But my work didn't fascinated me and I tried it again with the new msgina.dll file
and............................

my system went unbootable (It showed me the boot screen but after that it restarted again)

i tried various combinations with F8 key but same problem showed me the boot screen and restarted

finally i decided to reinstall my Windows XP since all my "Program files" ,"Documents" etc. were in different drives. then booted my PC with my XP cd and I saw the "REPAIR" option.
i Proceeded accordingly and reached the command window. I thought it to be a sucess as now i could replace that file with the original backup file stored in "E:\Back UP\"

BUT I WAS Unable to copy the same to my mother directory i.e C:
first of all there was a space in between and that command window didn't supported wildcards.

then i remembered that ResHacker stores a copy of original file as "original-filename_original.extention"
I tried to enter my working directory "E:\Works\"

BUT It displayed "Acess denied" neither it permitted to copy that "msgina_original.dll" to my C: drive where i can rename it and replace it.
Mind it ALL THE COMMANDS WERE FUNCTIONAL IN C: DRIVE

then i tried to copy a file from from CD-ROM And VOILA i succeeded in copying it.
I used my father's PC to copy his "msgina.dll" file and overwrite over mine and again succeeded and my PC started with no damages
EXCEPT that now i don't see any shutdown box when i click the shutdown button from startmenu it remains unreacted.
and i have to use other means to "turn off" my PC.

So i have provided my full history, so if anyone can help.

Guys i noticed a peculiar thing which after regaining my powers back.
Did you noticed i also changed shell32.dll but all the gray coloured info are available
but with my corrupted msgina.dll file, it is not so
IS IT one of the way we can assume that the modified file is corrupted.

Last edited:

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
I am facing one more problem : I am unable to open my Recycle Bin
i can just empty it from my yahoo widget
But whenever I click on it i am redirected to C: drive.
this problem also started after this msgina.dll replacement.

Plz help!!!!!!!!!

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
@ All error reports

Friends there isn't anything wrong with Vishal's tute. It's just bcoz of incomplete information & incomplete work. Many of us don't read the tute completely & so creates prob for themselves. Read the tute comletely, understand it & then apply it. Also try to understand that what u r doing.

I m using Resource Hacker for last 2 yrs & I didn't found anything wrong with it. If U will use it in correct way, nothing will b wrong & someday U will b able to write a tute like Vishal Gupta.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
n2casey said:
@ All error reports

Friends there isn't anything wrong with Vishal's tute. It's just bcoz of incomplete information & incomplete work. Many of us don't read the tute completely & so creates prob for themselves. Read the tute comletely, understand it & then apply it. Also try to understand that what u r doing.

I m using Resource Hacker for last 2 yrs & I didn't found anything wrong with it. If U will use it in correct way, nothing will b wrong & someday U will b able to write a tute like Vishal Gupta.

I know that friend, i just want to get my problem solved i am not blaming anyone
for my negligence. And sorry if I was a bit rude.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom