TUTORIAL: All About Resource Hacker! A Brief Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
First thanks for ur precious comments :)

but im sad cause i couldnt apply those to my winXP. i dont know i tried what u did with the my computer properties, and nothing happened, i was wondering wat was wrong.
I think its happening bcoz of the WFP (Windows File Protection) service. Just disable it and ur problem will be solved!
To disable WFP see following thread:

List of Some Useful System Utilities!

but i wanted to know if i can change the color of the taskbar to black thru this reshack.
For it go thru following thread:

How To Change Color Of Taskbar.

and how can i change the first boot screen for Xp. the black one with the bar in the middle. i wanna put another picture for it.
See following thread:

TUTORIAL: How 2 change XP Boot Screen using Tuneup Utilities!

Mohammad

Right off the assembly line
ME again

Hey man.
thanks for the quick reply.
well first of all, IT WORKEDDDDDDDDDDDD>:D :D :D i did something wrong in one step. so thats why it didnt work. i actually was trying to make my own mycomputer properties, but man it needs time to set the spaces in between.
ill try my best to work out it.

secondly about the changing the taskbar color. im using the classic xp theme. is that possible to change ? cause u said something about royale theme i guess:???:
and about the boot screen., i hate to use a software. once i use stylexp and it &#^@ my pc up.
is there another way?:)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
To change the color of taskbar in Classic theme, u can change the color settings in Desktop Display properties!

1.) Open Desktop Properties.
2.) Goto "Appearance" tab.
3.) Click on "Advanced" button.
4.) Change the color of "3D Objects" to ur desired color.

Regarding to Tuneup Utilities, its a gr8 s/w and there is no harm in using it. You can use it without any problem, in fact I'm using it since many months :)

And if u really want to edit the boot screen manually, then its a tough task. You'll hv to edit %windir%\System32\ntoskrnl.exe file in Resource Hacker and replace the Bitmaps. But the Bitmaps are not visible, they r completely Black, so u'll hv to edit them in photoshop!

U can follow this tutorial for it:

How can I change the Windows XP or Windows 2000 boot screen?

Or u can d/l ready-made boot screens from net and then replace the "ntoskrnl.exe" file! :)

Ozric

Re: What's the point of adding controls?

I have used ResHacker for some time now but have never seen the point of adding controls to things as they will not be able to do anything. For example, I added a button to a dialog box but it is greyed out as there is no function for it to perform. Is there any way to add functionality to controls? If not, what is the point of being able to add them? This has puzzled me for a long time, if anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can add BIMAPs, AVIs, Date-Time, etc in ur dialog box and they'll work perfectly.

But there is no benefit in adding buttons in the dialog coz u can't add functionality to them!

Ozric

Thanks!

Thanks, that's what I thought - strange ! It's fun though, isn't it? I put a shortcut to ResHacker in my SendTo folder, whenever I want to know what a file is I SendTo ResHacker (or Notepad), very handy! *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
Its happening bcoz of WFP (Windows File Protection) service, which automatically restore the original file!

Just disable this service using WFP Switcher, u can get it from here:

List of Some Useful System Utilities!

PS: You can also save the file in different location after editing, and then just boot into safe mode or in ne other windows ( if u hv diual boot system) and then replace original file with the edited one and don't forget to replace the file into %windir%\system32\dllcache folder also, it contains a backup of all system files. ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey vishal im getting some wierd error:

access violation at address (some no.) in module 'Reshacker.exe'. Write of address (some no. but not the same as b4) .... i get this while copying ur code (to replaced by the existng in dialog) .... help plz

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
It doesnt hv nething to do with my code ;)

It happens sometimes in resource hacker while editing files. Even I hv also faced same problem manytimes and I had to loose my all edited data :(

Try to copy the file at some other location and then edit it ;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i tried tht too but it aint happin .... wat i wanna know is tht nothing with my pc or ur code inherited prob of RH .... in tht case then i will try it at some other time .... hope it wrks

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ya it happnd ... i replaced the code first and then the added the images and all ..... while going thru the sysdm file via RH .... i got the same eror while i came to image 6 .... so i guess thr is some prob wen u add the 6th image (IMHO)

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Oh! So u r talking about the sysdm.cpl file, which I described here :)

For it, just add the images first and then replace the code ;)

qohelet

hi vishal!

Thanks for all the tutorials about the resource hacker! IT was really great and fun executing.

Just want to ask something about your vistavg in deviant art. Before I used window blinds to skin my comp but recently i changed to just using uxtheme.dll patch since WB is such a resource hog on my comp. I was trying to find some vista visual styles. I found a lot on deviant art but on all of them your visual style is my favorite. However, i cannot fully copy screen shot you have. I mean i wanted to remove "All programs" option in left side of the start menu but unfortunately i was not able to do it. I don't know if the resource hacker will do the trick but if it is i don't know how.

Just look at my screen shots.:) YOur elegant visual style is also here. Thanks a lot!:D

*img244.imageshack.us/img244/5251/vistavgbyvishalguptahs1.jpg

*img224.imageshack.us/img224/5428/desktoplj8.png

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
first thnx a lot buddy for ur comments :)

Actually I did a lots of tweaks in my system acc. to my choice :D

Regarding to the "All Programs" menu, just open regedit and goto:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

in right-side pane, create a DWORD value NoStartMenuMorePrograms and change its value to 1 ;)

PS: pls post thumbnails instead of the full image coz we also hv dial-up users! :)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
In Desktop Properties goto Desktop tab and click on Customize Desktop button.

Now u can select, which icons should be displayed on Desktop ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom