TUTORIAL: All About Resource Hacker! A Brief Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I never tried it but I'll tell U all what I know about it:

1.) All these links r hardcoded in the Windows Shell, so u can't add items but u can remove or change their locations.

2.) Open Shell32.dll file in Resource Hacker.

3.) All Task Pane information is stored in UIFILE section.

4.) There r 2 sub-section under UIFILE section: 3 & 4.

5.) In the 2nd section 4, u'll get XML file, in which all these items r defined, like:

a.) AppletLink (for pictures/music folders)
b.) TaskLink (for file/folder tasks, like cut,copy,paste,etc.)
c.) CategoryLink (Other places)
d.) CategoryList / CategoryView (details)

6.) And finally, the strings/labels & their details r stored in:

String Table -> 1953 & 1956 -> 1033. :)

I hope, it'll help U :D

PS: If u want to change the look of the task pane, then u'll hv to edit shellstyles.dll file, which u'll find in the Shell folder under every Theme folder in %windir%\Resources\Themes folder.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Thanx Vishal for this info i will try my Trial & Error method to get to a conclusion and immediately post it here if results are +ve

I remember you Posted something on adding "Hide the content of this folder" to a user defined folder probably..... only by registry hacks

kp3

Right off the assembly line
How do i make progress bars´? I know how i add them but i think i must code sumtehing.....

rup

Broken In
hi vishal... this is my first thread but one of the several visits...so, first of all i just want to say...u buddy always rock the forum with ur new posts,,...i hv already implemented sum of ur fantastic threads... n solved the challenged which one of my fnds hd given to me 3-4 yrs ago to change the start button text... thax a lot.. here by i want to ask u something.. that the "folder option" which is usually found in "view" menu or in "settings".. but i hvn't found this in my pc using 98SE.. hv i md any mistakes...n another qs>>.
can u plz tell hw to change the "welcome" text appears in XP booting screen.... thax buddy n wish u join the MCA group soon with ur bydefault power of talents............................:)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@kp3
U can add progress bars but can't make them working coz it depends upon the internal coding!

@rup
thnx buddy for ur comments :)
To change the "welcome" text, open %windir%\System32\Logonui.exe file in Resource Hacker and goto:

String Table -> 1 -> 1033

And in right-side pane, change the text of 7th entry. :)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
No need of Resource Hacker!

Just open Desktop Properties, goto "Appearance" tab and click on "Advanced" button, now u can change fonts u want ;)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Then open the .msstyles file in Resource Hacker and look for the image u want to change and then just replace it with ur own image ;)

sree_shan

Broken In
thanks vishal.....
great info by u ... :)
i had modified my system properties dialog box as u said ..... it is looking nice....
but a small doubt remains in my mind....
the 6.bmp which u attached is appearing only in "general" tab ... but i want to make the 6.bmp to be appear in every tab option(computer name,hardware,.....) at the leftmost as it is in general tab ....
how can i make it and what modifications do i hav to done .... ?????
help me reg. this ....:( :( :(
i know u always rocks..... :) :) :)

Last edited:
OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yeah! U can add that image in other tabs too ;)

If u check other dialogs in the sysdm.cpl file, then u'll get other tabs also, now just resize the dialog to make space for the image and then just insert the BITMAP :)

OP
Vishal Gupta

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Whenever I need any image, I just google for that ;)
Like I needed Mickey Mouse image for the RUN dialog box and I googled for it :)

Mohammad

Right off the assembly line
oh wat the hell???

Damn man. you are the one....
i was surfing the net for some info about vista theme and now im in a new world of Xp.
your brilliant man. i was surprised that we can do that in our OS.
but im sad cause i couldnt apply those to my winXP. i dont know i tried what u did with the my computer properties, and nothing happened, i was wondering wat was wrong. i will try it again later for sure.
but i wanted to know if i can change the color of the taskbar to black thru this reshack. and how can i change the first boot screen for Xp. the black one with the bar in the middle. i wanna put another picture for it.
thanks again. and now i have around a week to review all the tutorials on this site.
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom