TrueCrypt SW - Query

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Has anyone used TrueCrypt, open source encryption tool?
Am exploring it currently. It also provides encrypted file container as a volume that can be mounted so that it appears as one more volume in Explorer. All files you copy & process here are now encrypted and internally reside inside that encrypted file as container.

However what I wonder is just like any other file, this file created by TrueCrypt itself could be susceptible to windows crash i.e this file itself could also get corrupted due to system hang or BSOD or power failures etc. If that happens do I lose my data forever.

As a tryout just deleted a few bytes from this file manually & now it’s unusable. Does not even get mounted it the first place.

Just wish to know if anyone has used this tool and if this method of using file as volume container is stable & reliable? Thx

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Yeah it‘s reliable. Obviously if the file is deleted/incomplete you won‘t be able to use it like most other files.
Anyways TrueCrypt is a good encryption software.

gameranand

Living to Play
I have been using this software for a long time and it didn't gave me any problems so far. Container never gets corrupt for me.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
truecrypt has a complex internal working mechanism.not going into details just know this that encryption has nothing to do with whether file system/data is corrupted or not as long as the hard disk sectors containing the header of the volume which contains master encryption key info are good.i think there is an option to save header separately for such cases.

gameranand

Living to Play
truecrypt has a complex internal working mechanism.not going into details just know this that encryption has nothing to do with whether file system/data is corrupted or not as long as the hard disk sectors containing the header of the volume which contains master encryption key info are good.i think there is an option to save header separately for such cases.

Yes you are right there is option for that also. :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you must also always make a recovery disk from inside truecrypt after creating a new encrypted volume on same pc(recovery disk made on another pc is useless for such cases).also you must make a new backup volume header every time you change volume password/keyfiles.

gameranand

Living to Play
I never encrypt entire drive a container for my important and confidential files works more than enough.

Top Bottom