Troubleshooting XP installation....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvgopal85

Right off the assembly line
I have a system with 1.7GHZ , P4 , 512 MB + 256 MB SDRAM

I had some problems in XP SP2. The system began to restart sometime after booting . It also showed some Memory Access Error . After this I ran memtest86 .The memtest86 displayed lot of errors in the memory .

I replaced the 256 MB SDRAM with 512MB SDRAM. But still the problem did not stop. I decided to format and reinstall windows. I used many XP cds to do tht, but after the formatting , when the file is copied it shows up "cannot copy filename" . Several files were not copied during the installation and the installation failed.

I dont know wat the problem is. Also i cant understand how 4 cds fail . So i thought there may be problem in the hardware.

Any suggestion to troubleshoot?

Anand_RF

Journeyman
From the first line that you've typed, it seems to me like you've placed both the 512 mb RAM AND the 256 mb one. Remove the 256 mb one if that's the case, it'll do more bad than good for your pc.
btw what motherboard do u have?

n2casey

Super Hero - Super Powers
Check the speed (i.e. frequency) of both RAM. If they have different speed then there will b such prob. To use both RAM simultaneously, they shud have same speed.

OP
R

rvgopal85

I originally had 1 256 MB and 1 512 MB , now i sold the 256 MB RAM after the memtest .

Now i have 2 512MB RAM and 1 128 MB RAM.

I have 2 dvd drives. I've tried installing xp from the other drive , still it gives same error. I tried using the cd in my friends computer and the xp installation was done without any errors .

vrnoormd

Broken In
Use only one 512MB Ram and Only one DVD Drive in Secondary Master to installation of XP SP2

I have same problem with TWO CD/DVD Drives in Installation of XP SP2, but Solved it.

Try It.

OP
R

rvgopal85

Ya i have 3 RAM slots ....

Now iam running with just 2 - 512 MB RAM and reinstalled xp , but still the probelm is not over ...the system gets restarted as it likes randomly

I thought it could be a error in L2 cache of processor .... any thoughts?

XP did not get installed with the 2- 512 RAM . I removed the 2 - 512 MB RAM , and installed the 128 MB only. This time the xp got installed without any errors ......... i had some problems as i told earlier wen i tried to install xp with the new 512MB RAM

So iam confused....any solution to this prob

Last edited:

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
dude as i told u ur 512 ram is screwed...get it replaced...it had once happend to my friend..he had to change his ram then....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom