TriTone Photoshop tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Guys, we have seen black & white photos, we have seen color photos, both have their own +es or -es. B&W photos have more depth(contrast), Color photos are more vibrant.

So, I thought why not mix both these worlds & get a tritone pic.

Didn't get it! Well, It's a duotone pic with an xtra colors! Black, white & any other color.

We have seen black & white photos, we have seen color photos, bothhave their own advantages… B&W photos have more depth, Color photos are more vibrant.

So, I thought why not mix both these worlds & get a tritoneepic…
Didn’t get it… it’s a duotone pic with an xtra color…. Black, white & any other color.

Take a picture, preferably with a dominant color… nature pics are preferred.
*img124.echo.cx/img124/1131/image0016ey.jpg

Duplicate the layer (Ctrl+J)

Desaturate the new layer (Shift+Ctrl+U)

Go to the “background” layer (the color one), SELECT->COLORRANGE, SAMPLED COLORS, select the primary color (here “tigeryellow”) with the “eyedropper”, take necessary fuzziness.

Now that color is selected, copy it and paste upon the DESATURATED LAYER, making the yellow layer copied as OVERLAY blend.

Now get a tritone epic as shown below
*img189.echo.cx/img189/4898/image0023xw.jpg

GAUSSIAN BLUR to about 3 pixels.

Layer via Copy(Ctrl+J) if you want to enhance the color.
You can also Ctrl+J the DESATURATED LAYER in OVERLAY mode to add more contrast

Final adjustments, like levels, noise removal… give the desired result.

We can also make more tones this way :D

Last edited:

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
I know nothing about PS, i use photoshop CS2, wenevr i chose select-->color range, sampled colors, i dont get the option to choose primary colors, wat to do???

NikhilVerma

Padawan
shwetanshu said:
I know nothing about PS, i use photoshop CS2, wenevr i chose select-->color range, sampled colors, i dont get the option to choose primary colors, wat to do???

Hmmmmm.... Actually there is a small error in the tut...

After the desaturater layer step... Hide the desaturated layer, by clicking on the eye button in the layer's windows... Then run the "Color Range" tool and after running turn the layer back to visible.....

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
oopsie.. by "select the primary color" in the tutor.. I didn't mean R...B...G... I meant any color u felt important in the pic.

U'll get it in PS2, under SELECT->COLOR RANGE, SAMPLED COLORS, shwetanshu

U have to highlight the original colored layer 4 that, then select the color range/color, copy & paste it as a new layer over the B&W layer, so that we can see the color. Got it!!!

*By PS2, I meant PhotoshopCS2, not PlayStation2 ;)

enticer86

Stay Silent!
hey boss... i was goin thru ur tut on fotoshop... i used to hav this genuine cd but cant find it among 300+ other cds...
can u tel me how to get sm working thing ripped off from the net fr the time being? i just want to try that TRITONING thing asap

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Another one.. slightly tampered with the tutorial
Changed:*img239.echo.cx/img239/8923/millajovovich2hb.th.jpg Original:*img239.echo.cx/img239/9986/millajovovich3bh.th.jpg

OP
koolbluez

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
*img12.imageshack.us/img12/544/tanzania.th.jpg . . . . . . . . . . . *img22.imageshack.us/img22/2584/gymnastics.th.jpg . . . . . . . . . . . *img17.imageshack.us/img17/4167/parakeets1.th.jpg . . . . . . . . . . . *img16.imageshack.us/img16/9302/youngatheart.th.jpg​

Last edited:

yippee

lost in my world
looks more like this
*imagecache.allposters.com/images/pic/PYR/NECA0004%7ESin-City-Posters.jpg*tech2.in.com/media/images/img_3911_300roadtoglory.jpg
good work keep going i would like to see more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom