Transferring Windows from HDD to SSD

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I have Windows 7 Pro Version installed on my HDD. System config is in Signature.

Now I have bought a new ssd v300 of 240GB capacity. I don't want the hassle of reinstallation.

Can someone recommend Software and HowTos for this?

C:\ is having 98GB used and I have defragged it already.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
unless you consider yourself an expert in transferring/cloning images & partitions do not try to transfer your existing windows install to a ssd.ssd works differently from a normal hdd so when windows is installed on a ssd it make some corrections to file system/caching etc to not decrease the life of ssd by unnecessary writes.transferring/cloning images etc is fine when doing from hdd to hdd but not for hdd to ssd unless you know how to recalibrate/reconfigure cloned partition or image to ssd using some software.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Pretty well versed with playing with partitions and all. Had a dozen Dual boot & Linux installation experience so that isnt much of a issue. I have plenty of games installed and reinstalling again and restoring their config/save files is pain in ass. So please suggest a software for migration.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Give this a read. The advantage of using EaseUS is that you can specify the target as SSD which will aligns the partition for optimal SSD performance.(Edit: All the major softwares have this function)
Personally, I have used that method, and it worked like a charm.
Another good guide.
Some of the SSDs come with some cloning software, you can also use them.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Ok I have installed the SSD. Now When I ran Windows Score assessment with SSD alone it gave score of 7.3. Then I added my second HDD as storage and the score dropped to 6.4. Is this normal?

Ok I have installed the SSD. Now When I ran Windows Score assessment with SSD alone it gave score of 7.3. Then I added my second HDD as storage and the score dropped to 6.4. Is this normal?

HDDs are slower than the ssds hence the score will obviously decrease since the windows score assessment takes into account all components. hence the average of the ssd and hdd are taken, so you will see a decrease in the overall score. My base score is 5.1. :( :(

Shiva

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Mine is 6.4 Now.
Its Processor 7.3, Graphics 7.8, Gaming 7.8, Memory 7.5 HDD 6.4.

Earlier it was 5.9 HDD. Anyway Thanks for the help Guys. SSD has improved speed by quite a bit (Not major boost as my old mobo is only 3GBPS Support & not 6).

quicky008

Technomancer
Does one need to create partitions on the new hard drive and format them using NTFS(or any other file system for that matter)before the cloned images can be transferred to it?Or does the cloning software(Macrium reflect free edition for instance) automatically create partitions out of unallocated space on the new target HDD and formats them while transferring the cloned images of the older HDD to it?

Last edited:

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
its better to just initialize the disk and leave it as it is..the software would take care of the rest...

Top Bottom