Tracing The IP of a user on IM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I tried the netstat command in DOS . I am hoverver confused about the various parts of it . Theres a person who keeps buggig me online (MSN) and i want to trace him. I however dont know his IP address. here is what i get when i type netstat on my comp :
Code:
TCP AMD:3502        baym-cs209.msgr.hotmail.com:1863
This i think corresponds to the incomming trafin on MSN.
so i tried to tracert this particular host
and this is what i get :
Code:
Tracing route to baym-cs209.msgr.hotmail.com over a maximum of 30 hops:
and then i get a series of hosts and IP address .
HOw do i decide which one is his . i can identify mine and one of it was the MSN server i guess , cuz its location reported as Washigton ,USA.
If someone could help me i would be grateful.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Use Magic NetTrace software. (*www.tialsoft.com/mnettrace/)
And trace the IP address of the person pestering you.
You can also use ZoneAlarm firewall and block that
IP address if you want to.
Goodluck

OP
Maverick340

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
Hmm i know how to block the user and thanx for your suggestion but i really want to trace this user .Moreover like i said i dont know the IP of the user.MagicTracet does almost the same thing what tracert does.

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
hmm... you can try posting that guy some links on which there are tracer programs already mentioned or developed by u,make sure that they should be in PHP or C#, so that whenever that user logs on to it, you will be notified with his ip address and browser name.

but i think this will work whenever u are hosting a site or link or working as an administrator.

Even i couldn't figure this out actually!

din

Tribal Boy
I rememeber using GAIM and viewing users profile in GAIM. Not sure which ver it as, but for some users it showed the IP addresses along with their profile which was correct when I checked ! (don't ask me why it showed IP of some ! ) . Try that

I think that may work for you as GAIM support MSN/Yahoo etc

cyrux

In the zone
try sharing a file with him or just start a http server on ur system for some time and ask him to click your Ip so that you can get his IP

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hmm.. Here is a better way .. Download Process Explorer. Now run your messenger software and run Process Explorer. Highlight messenger's process in Process Explorer and double click on it. Now click on the TCP IP tab, that will show you all the active connections of the program ... You can use PEx to trace other softwares too ..:p ..

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
it_waaznt_me said:
Hmm.. Here is a better way .. Download Process Explorer. Now run your messenger software and run Process Explorer. Highlight messenger's process in Process Explorer and double click on it. Now click on the TCP IP tab, that will show you all the active connections of the program ... You can use PEx to trace other softwares too ..:p ..

good one batty.

prakash2119

Right off the assembly line
it_waaznt_me said:

I think this doesnt work under windows98

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom