torrenting or pirating

torrenting is a piracy.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rook!e

Broken In
last time i'v been arguing with my ol' school geek friends about increasing no of torrent trackers,according to him torrenting is a piracy.
what do you think guys??
:rolleyes:

neogen

Broken In
No, it is not piracy as long as contents shared don't hold any kind of copyright.

Ironically 99% of shared contents are copyrighted, so, people consider torrent and piracy synonymous. :D

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
^^ lets say 99.99% ! Because GNU/GPL code is copyrighted. Copyrights go to the Programmer, But free and open source and you can mod it and distribute it etc. ;)

OP
rook!e

rook!e

Broken In
y r we encouraging crime ????

Many of u r telling that as long as the content is copyrighted but shared it is piracy.But u know most of the torrent trackers be it public or private sharing this kind of thing.so they r pirating which is one kind of crime..
my question is that y r we encouraging crime ????

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Re: y r we encouraging crime ????

Many of u r telling that as long as the content is copyrighted but shared it is piracy.But u know most of the torrent trackers be it public or private sharing this kind of thing.

Get ur facts clear.
Torrent trackers don't share anything.
They provide us the technology and we, users use or misuse it.

[GYAN]
The files are not stored in any server owned by the trackers, but actually stored in the some user's PC. So, if u don't have it, u can't pirate it. Got it?? [/GYAN]

OP
rook!e

rook!e

Broken In

Get ur facts clear.
Torrent trackers don't share anything.
They provide us the technology and we, users use or misuse it.

[GYAN]
The files are not stored in any server owned by the trackers, but actually stored in the some user's PC. So, if u don't have it, u can't pirate it. Got it?? [/GYAN]

yup i get the idea i dont know that.:eek:

neogen

Broken In

my question is that y r we encouraging crime ????

NO, we are not encouraging crime in any way, whatsoever. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can not blame technology just because it is used for wrong purpose. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No wonder once in a while everyone takes xerox copy from copyrighted book/magazine which is also and equally illegal as sharing warez illegally. Does that means we are encouraging crime? Or does it renders xerox machine evil, NO. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bandu

Journeyman
Surprisingly 50% of the people agree that its piracy !!!

Vote only after you get your facts right, and then post to debate on the topic.

Torrenting is only a tech. What people use it for *may* be illegal, but torrenting as such is not.

For all those n00bs who voted for "Yes", try and see if you can understand this [18+] joke below. I guess thats the nearest illustration in real life that I can give you:

A couple go on vacation to a fishing resort in northern Minnesota. The husband likes to fish at the crack of dawn. The wife likes to read.

One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and takes a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and continues to read her book.

Along comes a forest policeman in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, "Good morning Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading a book," she replies, (thinking "Isn't that obvious?")

"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informs her.

"I'm sorry officer, but I'm not fishing, I'm reading."

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman.

"But I haven't even touched you," says the policeman.

"That's true," replied the woman, "But you have all the equipment."

neogen

Broken In
Excellent joke, Bandu!!

Hope these n00bs who voted "Yes" can gain some insight insight and will refrain to vote blindly in future.

PhB

Jughead!!!
Hey, I sometimes use torrents to share my files - files that I created like videos. Is that piracy? I don't think so. Bittorrent is a technology. It can be used or missused. Let's say, CDs are used to distribute pirated movies. So that makes CDs piracy, right?

OP
rook!e

rook!e

Broken In
Surprisingly 50% of the people agree that its piracy !!!

Vote only after you get your facts right, and then post to debate on the topic.

Torrenting is only a tech. What people use it for *may* be illegal, but torrenting as such is not.

For all those n00bs who voted for "Yes", try and see if you can understand this [18+] joke below. I guess thats the nearest illustration in real life that I can give you:

Excellent joke clap for you..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hey, I sometimes use torrents to share my files - files that I created like videos. Is that piracy? I don't think so. Bittorrent is a technology. It can be used or missused. Let's say, CDs are used to distribute pirated movies. So that makes CDs piracy, right?

No, not at all, THAT is the REAL reason this BitTorrent protocol was invented, share wat is urs.

OP
rook!e

rook!e

Broken In
good going guys..
polls shows 50-50 but only some people r posting there opinion voted for 'no' those who voted for 'yes',why are not they posting the reason !!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
good going guys..
polls shows 50-50 but only some people r posting there opinion voted for 'no' those who voted for 'yes',why are not they posting the reason !!
Because they have none. I don't understand what is the 'debate' about here anyway! Can someone explain to me, especially the thread starter, as to why is a technology to distribute data considered as piracy?

I'll just say what the great Akon once said in his song: Guns don't kill people. People do. If you and your super elite geeky friend understands that well and good. Else, well ... the thread is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom