torrent speed

aal-ok

Demon king
Is there any way to increase my utorent 3.3 speed without changing the ISP my current speed is 60-70 kbps and sometimes 200-210 kbps

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
There is nothing much that you can do since the speed mainly depends upon the seed to peer ratio, number of seeders, etc.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
u can refer the tweaks & tricks available online which might improve the speed....changing the version of utorrent may also help coz some people claim that a particular version is stable & fast for them

Do a google search on " how to increase utorrent speed " or " how to speed up utorrent " there are many videos, try them. They increased mine.

Shiva

max_snyper

Maximum Effort!!!!!!
First off all.....all the tricks you try on increasing the speed of torrents will not work more than the plan speed you have been alloted by your ISP.
In India, all isp block LLU's (local loop unbundling)so you will not get speed more than you Broadband bandwidth as compared through out the world....some or all International ISP's allow LLU.
Find the correct settings according to your plan speed and you will get around 75~90% of your plan speed.....some case even more or less depends on allowed bandwidth.
Look out for seed/peer ratio...Their equation is as important as the file you are downloading...I assume you are downloading legit files....!

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
You can try to maximise your download speed of utorrent. If not already done, set your Upload speed to 1 KB/s from Options-->>Preferences-->>Bandwidth. Do this if you don't want to seed.

The only tweak think i can think of is to forward a port for your torrent client .
Can you give a link which explains this concept of port forwarding? Does port forwarding really increase your speed? I get more speed in IDM than in utorrent. What technology does IDM use or am I in some myth?

Neuron

Electronic.
You can try to maximise your download speed of utorrent. If not already done, set your Upload speed to 1 KB/s from Options-->>Preferences-->>Bandwidth. Do this if you don't want to seed.

No. Never do this. This will only reduce your download speed.
Can you give a link which explains this concept of port forwarding? Does port forwarding really increase your speed? I get more speed in IDM than in utorrent. What technology does IDM use or am I in some myth?

Search online. There are good guides out there.

Torrents are based on p2p technology which usually uses TCP protocol and sometimes UDP to transmit data from one peer to another. Torrent clients don't use a standard port number for communication. They use random ports mostly. The torrent client will not be listening for data packets across all of these ports. As a result the client will fail to recieve the data packets from certain peers. But when you forward your ports properly the router will direct all of the specified TCP packets to the port you assigned.
Stuff you download with IDM usually use HTTP protocol whose port is common and fixed. So no port forwarding is required.

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
No. Never do this. This will only reduce your download speed.

Search online. There are good guides out there.

Torrents are based on p2p technology which usually uses TCP protocol and sometimes UDP to transmit data from one peer to another. Torrent clients don't use a standard port number for communication. They use random ports mostly. The torrent client will not be listening for data packets across all of these ports. As a result the client will fail to recieve the data packets from a particular peer. But when you forward your ports properly the router will direct all of the specified TCP packets to the port you assigned.
Stuff you download with IDM usually use HTTP protocol whose port is common and fixed. So no port forwarding is required.

Thanks a lot for p2p explanation...
how does decreasing upload speed reduce download speed? we're given ,say , 512 kbps download & 128 kbps upload speeds by ISP.... does that mean i can download @512 & upload @128 at the same time? that is , total bandwidth flowing = 512+128~750kbps ?? or is it maximum 512kbps (upload @128 + download@256) ??

Neuron

Electronic.
how does decreasing upload speed reduce download speed? we're given ,say , 512 kbps download & 128 kbps upload speeds by ISP.... does that mean i can download @512 & upload @128 at the same time? that is , total bandwidth flowing = 512+128~750kbps ?? or is it maximum 512kbps (upload @128 + download@256) ??

Download and upload rates are independent. If your plan offers 512kbps download rate and 128kbps upload rate, you will get 512kbps download rate regardless of the amount of data you are currently uploading.
Torrent clients prefer connecting to other clients with better upload to download ratio. Suppose there is one seed(one who has the complete file) and 2 peers(who are currently downloading the file) in which one of them is you. Suppose you have completed about 50% of the file and the other peer has only just started. If you limit your upload rate the other person will only have the seed as the source. So the bandwidth of the source will be split among you and the other peer, lowering the download rate of both of you. But if you don't limit your upload rate, the other peer can download the 50% you have from you while you download the rest of the 50% from the seed at full speed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^a small correction.when you download something there is also a related upload in the form of acknowledgement packets which tell the ip from which you are downloading that data was received successfully.this is why you will never get max download & upload speed simultaneously for your connection.ideally your total max upload rate should be ~75% of your max connection upload speed to get max download connection speed.on my 2mbps bsnl connection i get 220KBps download & ~36KBps upload when downloading using download manager & uploading using utorrent(no download) simultaneously.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Guys..if u have any doubts on utorrent then read this thread "utorrent question" it covers all queries regarding utorrent

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/138149-utorrent-question.html

flyingcow

Shibe
This one is obvious but if you havent tried it-

1.Right click on the torrent
2.Select Bandwidth allocation
3.Set to high

meetdilip

Computer Addict

Port forwarding just puts a hole in firewall for utorrent to access the internet. IDM and utorrent are different concept. IDM downloads files stored in a server where as utorrent get it from seeders. Looks good seed to peer ratio. Try private trackers.

Thay are like different lanes of road, won't affect each other. You simutaneously upload and download at maximum speed.

Top Bottom